PDA

View Full Version : Gordon River Strahan

snelly1971
22-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi All...I havent been on here much recently....We have been working up at Sir Johns Falls ...which is 20 odd NM up the Gordon River...I thought i would share some photos of this magical place....

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
22-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Alot of the aerial photos are of Macquarie Harbour....taken from the sea plane when we were Quoting the job...

Mick

Blackened
22-12-2007, 02:17 PM
G'day

fantastic shots, really is pristine down there.

Dave

ffejsmada
22-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Geez mate, your boat looks the goods.

Bloody nice environment to work in.
What are you doing down there Snelly??

Jeff.

webby
22-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Might be able to give us a guided tour, will be down there in march, doing a spot of craying.
Also have a look in Going Fishing mate.
regardsl

Chimo
22-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi Mick

Very nice pics but the water looks cold!

Isn't that the strech of river and area where they filmed "Deliverance" with the extras for the shoot bused in from New Norfolk?

Cheers
Chimo

snelly1971
22-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Geez mate, your boat looks the goods.

Bloody nice environment to work in.
What are you doing down there Snelly??

Jeff.

We have been doing some work for an insurance co and parks and wildlife....There was a major storm here in August and the Franklin river which runs into the Gordon River was in flood of about 15 meters...It damaged walkways ...the wharf and sunk the sea plane pontoons which they tie up to...So we had to do some track repair work...and wharf ...and help with the installation of the new pontoons...we have a days work left up there...Tomorrow..and hope to get some more work after Christmas...

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
22-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Might be able to give us a guided tour, will be down there in march, doing a spot of craying.
Also have a look in Going Fishing mate.
regardsl

Just give me a weeks notice Webby...0400969118...I would be more than happy to show you around and do a few fishing trips..

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
22-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi Mick

Very nice pics but the water looks cold!

Isn't that the strech of river and area where they filmed "Deliverance" with the extras for the shoot bused in from New Norfolk?

Cheers
Chimo

Cold...yeah....about 2 to 3 deg.....Not real sure about filming of a movie up there...

Mick

bayfisher
22-12-2007, 07:50 PM
There is no doubt its a beautiful place, me and the missus had a bit of a driving holiday in tassie mid this year and we stayed in Strahan for a couple of nights. We did all the touristy things and took in the sights and it really a beautiful place, mind you 2 days was enough it was absolutely freezing and does it ever stop raining??? . ;D

My photos or any photos for that matter don't do the place justice just one of those place you should visit but here are some of my favorite from strahan

Cheers Chris

Volvo
22-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Missus and i spent two weeks down that way last may and four of those days in Srahan and apart from raining every day bar one we had a top time and loved the place..Werent so cold a bloke could think of maybe spending a tad more time in his retirement down that way :)..

Volvo
22-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Twas 2005 (blush) not last year!!..How time flies....

rob tranter
23-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi Mick,

Change of job hey? Looks like a great work environment, great photo's, hows the family going good I hope, haven't started expanding yet?;D

Any of you that get down that way should give Mick a PM, great host and great Spot.

See Ya Mick

Merry Christmas to you and the Family

Rob T8-)

bugman
23-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Mick,

We've had two trips over to Strahan in the last month which have co-incided with great weather. The crays were really playing the game and the snotty trevally were everywhere. Some excellent size were coming from the wall.

Uncle Paul has been up the Gordon a bit organising the pine in birches inlet which came down in the flood. The reckon barges and barges of the stuff have to come out.

I was asked the other day if I wanted a couple of days up the Gordon to go looking for some wood myself. Can't remember the name of the wood but apparently they make axe handles out of it. Wakey and another uncle wants some.

Hopefully next time we can catch up and if the weather's good we can head down the coast.

Brett

snelly1971
24-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Mick,

Change of job hey? Looks like a great work environment, great photo's, hows the family going good I hope, haven't started expanding yet?;D

Any of you that get down that way should give Mick a PM, great host and great Spot.

See Ya Mick

Merry Christmas to you and the Family

Rob T8-)

Change of Job?...well hope so....i was always a person who grew up hating Greenies...but i can now so where they are coming from sometimes....Its just the Greenie extremists that really irritate me...As for expanding the family...yep...misses due in August....

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
24-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Mick,

We've had two trips over to Strahan in the last month which have co-incided with great weather. The crays were really playing the game and the snotty trevally were everywhere. Some excellent size were coming from the wall.

Uncle Paul has been up the Gordon a bit organising the pine in birches inlet which came down in the flood. The reckon barges and barges of the stuff have to come out.

I was asked the other day if I wanted a couple of days up the Gordon to go looking for some wood myself. Can't remember the name of the wood but apparently they make axe handles out of it. Wakey and another uncle wants some.

Hopefully next time we can catch up and if the weather's good we can head down the coast.

Brett

I havent even been craying yet Brett....I am about to go into fishing mode after christmas....2 bloody months of doing not much ...except fishing ....fishing ...and fishing....

Mick

snelly1971
24-12-2007, 01:46 PM
A few More pics from yesterday...bloody 35 to 45 knots going home...

Silent
24-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for pic's...
I forget how beautiful they are...I & my wife went there about 12 years ago...

Question: I remember we cruised along gordon river stop at 2000 years old huon pine tree and somehow that someone told it has down by lighting. is this correct?

snelly1971
24-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for pic's...
I forget how beautiful they are...I & my wife went there about 12 years ago...

Question: I remember we cruised along gordon river stop at 2000 years old huon pine tree and somehow that someone told it has down by lighting. is this correct?

I will check up on that for you...I think it was 5000 or 10 000 year old tree...The place is called Heritage landing...

Mick