PDA

View Full Version : Coffs Harbour - Help Please

Bear001
21-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I have just taken delivery of my 400 Hornet Trophy & was wondering if you can safely fish in the harbour area at Coffs? Are there any fish in there? Maybe I sneak around the headland a little if calm enough? Can anyone help with some info on this? Also where & what live bait I can try to pick up here? Is there squid? Slimies?

bdowdy
21-12-2007, 08:56 PM
hey bear congrats on owning a top boat, ive got one myself there awesome, got any pics of the new rig. cheers bdowdy...ps try bonville and boambee at sawtell youll have no worrys here and theres some good fish.... cheers bdowdy..brett

Bear001
26-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Brett,

Took the new toy out to Split Rock on Monday for a quick run & christened it with it's 1st fish. Nice little 55cm cod.
Looking forward to adding some bits and pieces now that I have the boat home. What size motor do you have on yours? I havent really given mine a good run in any rough chop yet.

Any tips on where to mount stuff? I hate crap on the floor, but having trouble finding somewhere to mount the fish nets???

Cindy (yes I know...Im I gir!)

bdowdy
26-12-2007, 12:45 PM
hi cindy ive got a 40 mariner on mine, they can move, congrats on the cod it took me a while to christen mine , my boats called CODSQUAD 2, my net is mounted on the left side fits well and also a oar.have you got a bow mount electric motor for it, there worth every cent.any how ive posted a piccy of my rig in your other post. cheers bdowdy..brett

Bear001
26-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Nice Colour - bit more subtle than my "Kermit"!!!! Is yours tiller steer? I went with side console this time around - because I had some back surgery earlier in the year and dont want to be twisting & reaching back to knock the motor out of gear etc all the time. The side console takes up a bit of space, but because there is only ever 1 or 2 fishing in it usually, I was prepared to make the sacrifice.

The boat has the bracket moulded in ready for when the dollars are saved up to put an electric on. For the time being I throw out x2 plastic buckets out the back to troll. What brand/size electric did you put on yours? Someone is trying to sell me one of the Jarvis Walkers which are heaps cheaper - but I dont know of anyone who has gone with them?

bdowdy
26-12-2007, 01:29 PM
hi yeh mines tiller steer , heaps of room that way, i cast alot ,my electric is a55lb min kota saltwater and pushes the boat no worrys,have heard good and bad about the jarvis WATERSNAKES a mate also has a quinny 400 and he has had nothing but prob with the watersnake had to get areplacement motor , dont know how its going now,but there cheap so thats a good thing, mine set me back 1100 and they threw in the quick release bracket, great for trolling and casting round tree areas in the dams. cheers bdowdy...brett

Scalem
26-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Err.... Ummm Do you mind if I butt in??;D

You guys are very fortunate to have a nice boat like these, I'm envyous!

Congrats on the new purchase Cindy, it's bad luck your other half doesn't like fishing, but in response to your other thread ( which I didn't feel I should reply because I don't qualify if you know what I mean), there's a heap of great fishing Gals who would deckie for you I am sure. At the least I know heaps on AF who will talk to you in cyberspace.

Coffs looks to me like a great playground for a calm weather stint out the front. I just had a look on Google Earth and there are a lot of dark patches in close that should yield a fish or two on soft plastics. I don't know if you have heard you can get sea anchors for around 40 or $50... Beats throwing out buckets;)

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:R1tfKSbMr2KQ3M:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/kenealy/illo/sea_anchor1.gif (http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/kenealy/illo/sea_anchor1.gif&imgrefurl=http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/kenealy/kenealy2a.html&h=394&w=577&sz=7&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=R1tfKSbMr2KQ3M:&tbnh=92&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsea%2Banchor%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26sa%3DX)

All the best

Scalem

snaggle
26-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Bear

Suggestion for good spots in the Coffs area would be to try www.########.com (http://www.########.com) . Their based in Coffs Harbour. They claim to be the largest fishing shop in Aus surely than can give you a clue or 2 on a couple of good locations to have a go.

Snaggle

roz
28-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I have just taken delivery of my 400 Hornet Trophy & was wondering if you can safely fish in the harbour area at Coffs? Are there any fish in there? Maybe I sneak around the headland a little if calm enough? Can anyone help with some info on this? Also where & what live bait I can try to pick up here? Is there squid? Slimies?

I fish out off Coffs from time to time.

the only problems I encounter are launching and retrieving at the local Coffs Harbout boat ramp. I used to be able to handle this by myself when fishing out off the Tweed, actually you will find launching by yourself not too bad but retrieving is a different story, particularly if there is a north easterly, a light southerly causes less of a problem.

Main issue is tidal surge, one minute you will find the trailer is backed in just perfectly, next the water can be up to the axels on your vehicle...true story.

Don't want to put you off, just be careful until you get the hang of it.

As for fishing the harbour, I've never tried, however, I've heard they sometimes turn up some very big jewies.

I always prefer to go outside. Plenty of country to fish, just be aware of the closed areas around the islands.

This time of year the mackeral should be turning up, so towing around the headlands or out to the big island. On the other hand there is good reef less than 10 minutes steaming from the ramp, but these are shallow in-shore and are best fished just before sun up or late afternoon. I prefer to anchor and burley, there is never any shortage of live bait.

If you're new to outside fishing, just take it bit by bit until your confidence and skills grow.

good luck

r.