PDA

View Full Version : GPS Internal Battery Problem

yorty
21-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi, I have a Garmin GPS II plus which had a dead internal battery. I replaced it (I am a electronics technician by trade) but the GPS only turns on for about 2 seconds and then turns itself off again. I also replaced a friends internal battery in his GPS 12 but it doesn't turn on at all. I have new AA's in both. Is there something else I have to do? I've measured the voltage on both and there is power coming from the AA's and internal batteries to the motherboard. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Yorty
ps My mate isn't too certained as he's getting a chartplotter for x-mas but I need to get mine fixed.

Lucky_Phill
21-12-2007, 07:34 PM
You will get better technical advice, but for now, have you read the ' instructions " ? In relation to changing battery and in particular if you have ' initialize " the unit.

Hope you solve the problem.

Phill

yorty
21-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks Phill, I can't find the instruction book at the moment but I have seen it recently so I can't be to far away. I reckon it'll probably say send it back to the manufacturer but you never know.

Yorty

oldboot
21-12-2007, 10:06 PM
google yorty google.

You might be able to scratch up a manual on line.

how are the terminals on the internal battery.

if the battery was an AA......... are you sure it wasn't a 3V lithium not a 1.5V.

Any internal back up battery that lasts more than a few years will probly be lithium.........and not much electronics will run on 1.5V.

cheers

reilly
22-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I have a gps 12 same prob with the lithium battery lasts about 5 years some more some less had my local electronics man change it from my brothers broken gps 8 and he quoted a new battery is around four dollars and 40 dollars to put it in I had the work done around 2 years ago still going strong.