PDA

View Full Version : Radar

aldinga
21-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi all. Looking to acquire a radar and have 2 choices.The first is a lowrance LRA 1500 or LRA2000 to match up with a lowrance 8200 chartplotter which I already have, that way I can overlay the radar chart on my chart if required. The alternative is a stand alone radar such as the furuno 1715. Your opinions and advice will be welcome.

FNQCairns
21-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I also want one, pretty badly also so have been dreaming and researching, mostly dreaming:( anyway if you have the room to sensibly mount a stand alone unit then IMO that is the way to go, the option of overlay is nice but really to my mind radar is a tool and if turned on then it should be viewable at never more than a glance.

Half your luck, love the idea of a proximity alarm for camping o/n and possibility of traveling offshore at a more fuel and time conserving speed at night without a dramatic decrease (if any) overall from the safety side of these things

cheers fnq

DAVE_S
23-12-2007, 02:29 PM
aldinga
i have the lra 1500 with a 7500c iam not shore if you can over lay radar with chart, what i do know is you can have radar with chart side by side .the one thing i miss is having it in navigate mode with radar as i tend to steer to highway at night. maybe i will have to steer to my trail at night so i can watch the radar at the same time .i have just fitted it in the last 2 months so iam still learning how it works .

Mr__Bean
25-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Overlay is magnificent, but you usually need to connect a digital compass as well so the unit knows exactly where the boat is pointing not just its direction otherwise it will not overlay accurately on the plotter.

- Darren

krillx
30-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I am familiar with the Furuno NavNet system where the chartplotter and radar are in the same display. You can run them separate in windows or in overlay mode (as Mr Bean says you need a heading sensor to get this working properly).

Standalone is good from a redundancy point of view, but overlay is very nice. You can view vessels and other objects around you in relation to known chart positions and your own waypoints. While you cruise you can watch the one screen.