PDA

View Full Version : FM Radio for Boat

FNQCairns
19-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I have been eyeing off one of those GME GR1OO radios (think thats their proper name).
More or less waterproof but overall nice and basic also small. Is this the only one on the market of the same design and does it do well what what it says it does, I have been looking around the net but cannot find a competing brand or model, I don't want a CD player or need a stereo when all is said and done just some radio station tunes and news etc every now and then but it must be from a flushmounted unit.

thanks fnq

Vindicator
19-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Gday fnq,

I've put one of them in one of my tractors. They are basic and and work really well. Should be just what you're after.

Cheers
Kezza

Noelm
19-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I tried a couple of different radios in the past and ended up just using a protable that I can take out and store out of the Weather if need be, but I do believe that they are OK and it is convenient to always be there!

FNQCairns
19-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok thanks for the advice I will grab one, will try wireing aerial straight to the hull for something different, like advised in another thread here - top idea!!

cheers fnq

jtpython
19-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Mate they are great put one in mine and i didn't flush mount it i could of but i put it in a great accesible position and works brialliantly i did go with a fiberglass 6 foot arial thou just to match in with my GME 600 VHF
I think the unit was $100 and arial $50 from memory
JT

Spaniard_King
19-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Scot had em both my last boat and in this one... if your runing either a vhf or 27 meg just buy a band splitter to run it off the same antena... too easy... get yaself an mp3 player with fm transmitter and listen to ya own music :)

disorderly
19-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I bought that model a year or so back,scott.
Had a look at some cd players and figured the same as you.I just want to sometimes listen to a few tunes and the news,mainly at night.
I might even get around to installing it one day.

Hey Gary,
I also just bought an icom vhf radio.
I'll get a band splitter to run the radio and vhf from the one ariel .
Should I run seperate wiring from each radio back to the battery or can i run both on the same wires.
Also what is the most suitable wire to ask for ?.

scott

Spaniard_King
19-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Scott you can run both radios from the 1 wire as long as it can cope with the amp draw and has the approriate fuse. If you use 4mm twin core with a 10 amp fuse you will be fine :)

frank100
19-12-2007, 10:07 PM
FNQ,
Had one in my boat for a couple of years. You may find it hard to get too many FM stations once out on the reef, I usually end up with ABC or JJJ (? I think). I have had the aerial from a splitter for a while. Did have a do it yourself "tape to the wind screen" aerial from Dick smith, but it corroded at the end of the stick to glass bit. Funnily enough I still received the ABC or JJJ anyway !

Frank

Heath
19-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Have got mine in exactly the same place as jtpython (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=36850). I run mine off my 27mhz antenna using a splitter. Works a treat.

FNQCairns
20-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I tried to find one yesterday but no luck, I need a black one but they are rare so will order one special, feel confident now that if I do cut the hole to fit, the unit will do the job:)

I only have a VHF and am wary over placing a splitter on that line, no real knowledge on this just reports I have heard over time about them not doing the job they should, plan to fit a 27meg later so possibly a splitter then.

thanks again for the replies.

cheers fnq

fishingrod
20-12-2007, 01:51 PM
am wary over placing a splitter on that line

I have the GR100 too. Its good for what it is. Im only using the internal speaker and its adaquate for a bit of music to break the silence. Its nice and compact and it makes it easy to mount.

For the antenna, I went to Dick Smith (or Jaycar etc) and bought a car stereo antenna plug for a few bucks and connected 1metre of wire to the centre pin and just ran that along in my wiring loom behind the dash. It works perfectly all around Sydney and 10 miles out (havent tried further yet)

cheers
Rod

fsh00
20-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I put a splitter on with my vhf and had no drama, both work fine.

Coontakinta
20-12-2007, 03:41 PM
FNQ, I have one of these also, in conjunction with a 27 meg NAVMAN and GME VHF each unit has its own aerial. The GR100 uses one of those rubber ducky aerials, the stubby black ones. All work a treat now after some initital heart ache. All units are flush mounted in my boat which is plate. The GME's being mounted one on top of the other.

As others have said the sound from the internal speaker is more than sufficent unless its a water sports boom box your after.

freddofrog
21-12-2007, 08:02 AM
If you are worried about your VHF, instead of getting a band splitter get a rubber car ariel from Kmart or Super Cheap etc. They cost around $15 and it works a treat ;D

FNQCairns
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks fella's for the advice I ordered a black one which has just lately arrived in the country, have just fitted it now, works a treat for what I want it for even picks up stations well without an aerial, thats the next job.

I used the SS mounting option for flush mount of the unit in the dash, my only complaint is the SS brackets they used were designed when passed out drunk and are next to useless with the screws they include (they even instruct you to crossthread the 4 metal screw female holes in the unit with self tappers!), if I were to do it again I would make my own rather than use their rubbish, because of the sika I used to seal the unit is the only reason I consider it a solid fit, just a heads up.

A radio should have been one of the first bits of stuff I added to the boat during the fitout, would have been nice to have some tunes/talk going on throughtout those hours

cheers and thanks

fnq

John Buoy
08-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I have both the GR100 and the 27 meg GX300 great units for the price

and great if you have limted room as in depth wise as all the new GME units only

protrude 40-60mm into dash after flush mounting. Great if steering hub is in the

way! Flush mounting can be made simpler and looks heaps better when adding

the optional fascia kit. http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9828/69866lgqc3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bought here for both units. note this one is extra wide for existing older gme cut

outs but there is another on this site thats not extra wide;)
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=114&item=69866&intAbsolutePage=3&LinkedItem=69798&search123=

Regards Frank