PDA

View Full Version : Operation Summer Safe

seatime
19-12-2007, 06:47 AM
From a Queensland Government Press Release.

Police Minister Judy Spence yesterday urged boaties to behave responsibly this Christmas after an increase in deaths and incidents on Queensland's waterways in 2006-07.

Ms Spence was joined by Assistant Commissioner David Melville, South Eastern Region, to launch the state's boat safety campaign 'Operation Summer Safe'.
"More than four and half thousand skippers received infringement notices in 2006-07.
"There are still too many people on our waterways speeding, drink driving, or not having the required safety equipment.
"Our message is simple: those boaties who do the wrong thing, are putting lives at risk, and face big fines.
"In 2006-07 there were 17 people killed on Queensland's waterways which is four more than the previous year.
"There were 335 marine incidents compared to 261 the previous year - an increase of 74.
"It's alarming that of those 335 incidents well over half (60%) occurred in the day with clear weather and good visibility.
"The Summer holidays are a very busy time on our waterways. Marine incidents are common, particularly on weekends.
"There are more than 217,000 boats registered in Queensland, an increase of 4.6%, and nearly 36,000 of those registered on the Gold Coast (16.5 per cent)," Ms Spence said.

In other statistics for 2006-07:

23,513 vessels were intercepted by Queensland Water Police (Gold Coast Water Police intercepted 7,097 (30%) of those)
14,301 skippers were breath tested
94 were fined for being over .05% (up from 93 last year)
4,680 skippers received infringement notices for offences including speeding, being unlicensed, failure to carry prescribed safety equipment, and having an unregistered vessel"Skippers need to be constantly aware of their responsibilities on the water, continually observing maritime regulations and the international regulations for prevention of collisions at sea.
"Boat operators or skippers are responsible for the safe operation of their vessel and the safety of all persons on board.
"Too often a lack of judgement, alcohol and excessive speed are the major contributing factors in boating incidents across the state.
"I would urge all skippers who are planning to go boating this summer, to be mindful of the dangers of speed, alcohol and to maintain a proper look out at all times on our waterways," Ms Spence said.

Skippers who do the wrong thing face fines of:

Drink driving $400 - $2000 (depending on reading) and loss of marine licence
Speeding $150
Driving unlicensed $375
Unregistered vessel $150
Failing to carry prescribed safety equipment $150Have a safe and happy holiday :)

Spaniard_King
19-12-2007, 07:00 AM

OMG thats a huge increase whats going on :o

mik01
19-12-2007, 07:37 AM
In other statistics for 2006-07:

23,513 vessels were intercepted by Queensland Water Police (Gold Coast Water Police intercepted 7,097 (30%) of those)
14,301 skippers were breath tested
4,680 skippers received infringement notices for offences including speeding, being unlicensed, failure to carry prescribed safety equipment, and having an unregistered vesselwow - and after reading the thread on water police prescence (lack of) it seems they are out there quite a bit (avg 65 per day pulled over). with over 217,000 boats registered and about 4700 fines it seems that around 2% of the total population of boaties have done something wrong.
from that perspective, its encouraging that 98% are doing the right thing.

death_ship
19-12-2007, 03:14 PM
not really alrming stats, seems most can look after themselves, but as usual we all suffer because of the twits out there, water police do a pretty good job.

kitch76
20-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I've noticed an increased presence of Transport guys and the water police of late when we go out

wheelerdog
21-12-2007, 06:58 AM
with all the warnings you would have to be a mug to get caught for anything, how hard is it to have all safety gear onboard. its not as if the list is a secret. but people still complain when they get pinged for having out of date flares or no v sheet.

it would be good though if QLD had a sticker like NSW ie 06 boating safety check. ie they give you a sticker when everything is ok. in an effort to reduce the number of reinspections carried out.

Camo
21-12-2007, 10:48 AM
We sure are becoming an over policed over regulated society. Especially if you compare it to 20 years ago. You won't convince me that our standard of living is any better because of all the regulation.

reelchippy
22-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Power to them

bluefin59
22-12-2007, 06:07 AM
I figure the more checks they do the better it is for those who go out of there way to do the right thing i have been checked by a number of police and D.P.I people over the last couple of years ,it only takes a couple of minutes if you are doing the right thing i just hope they hammer those ####heads on jet skis ....matt HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE BOATING CHRISTMAS :) :) :) :)

finga
22-12-2007, 07:54 AM
The more coppers, DPI, Fisheries, VMR and even the boys scouts on the water with official looking boats will be welcomed by this little black duck.
Nothing like a seen presence to modify peoples (sometimes bad) behaviour.
It doesn't really matter or not if the official looking boat cannot do anything if someone is acting the goat but just the presence might make people think twice before doing something stupid.
Police, DPI, Fisheries, VMR, boys scouts....all their boats look pretty well the same at 300-400m so the more on the water the better IMO.

I'd like to see the boys in blue have constant ramp/canal blitzs too.
Book a few and when the other turn up and see what's happening and if they haven't got the right gear they might make a detour via Whitworths.

Booze buses at the ramps or in the canals (for all those who don't use ramps) would be good too.
Test them when they beach the boat or touch the pontoon/jetty or when they enter the canal.

Have a safe one all :D