PDA

View Full Version : 150 Etec-150 Efi merc-150HPDI

troy
19-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Thinking about having a boat made locally.
The Etec and Merc are sold by the boat builder so might have trouble if i tell him i want the boat but not the motor.
The Yamaha is my choice mainly due to the negative feed back about Etecs on this site.
I Do not do many hours as the boat only takes me from a to b and then i use my tinny.
What are your thoughts and i do not want a Etec war as i personnaly have nothing against them and i do not know much about the Merc these days.
Troy

Noelm
19-12-2007, 07:07 AM
if you do not want either motors offered by the dealer, then you can negotiate a deal for the Boat on it's own, or get the dealer to fit a Yamaha supplied by another dealer, it happens reasonably regularly, I think you will be forever in doubt if you buy a Motor that you "perceive" to be inferior to your preferred brand!

troy
19-12-2007, 10:55 AM
if you do not want either motors offered by the dealer, then you can negotiate a deal for the Boat on it's own, or get the dealer to fit a Yamaha supplied by another dealer, it happens reasonably regularly, I think you will be forever in doubt if you buy a Motor that you "perceive" to be inferior to your preferred brand!
Noelm,
Just spoke to the dealer about having a Yamaha and no go.
Shame ,very nice boat.
He said he has not had any problems with Etecs just with one buyer who blew up three 175hp in a year.
But i do know who he is talking about and he would blow up any brand of motor an absolute maniac the way he drives.
Troy

FNQCairns
19-12-2007, 11:23 AM
But what about like Noelm said - buy the hull then tow and fit-out wherever you choose.
They don't have to sell you just the hull but if they wouldn't it begs the question whether they are a reputable bunch in the first place.

If you like HPDI then go for it!!

cheers fnq

Noelm
19-12-2007, 11:41 AM
yep, my sentiments exactly, if you do not really love brand X then you will never be completely happy with it, I think I would be approaching the Dealer one more time, and if he does not agree, then go elsewhere, he will cause you pain later down the track I would think!

julian1
19-12-2007, 12:17 PM
i would certainly choose the Merc Optimax or the Etec over the Yammie HPDi as they have not had the best reputation over the years even though they are Yamaha

PADDLES
19-12-2007, 12:30 PM
troy if you have the opportunity to buy a new motor and don't mind spending the extra bucks i'd be steering clear of the efi merc and going for the newer technology for resale reasons.

Mr__Bean
19-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Troy,

If you don't do many hours and you don't need the extra pull out of the water that water skiiers require, do you need the extra expense of a high pressure direct injection 2 stroke?

If your hours are low and range isn't a primary consideration then maybe a conventional EFI 2 stroke is a more cost effective solution.

There appears to be a very good second hand 150 EFI in the for sale section that has low hours, it may save you around 15 grand to spend elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't get too concerned about the E-Tec and any adverse comments on it around here, most if it is just chest beating.

- Darren

troy
19-12-2007, 02:54 PM
But what about like Noelm said - buy the hull then tow and fit-out wherever you choose.
They don't have to sell you just the hull but if they wouldn't it begs the question whether they are a reputable bunch in the first place.

If you like HPDI then go for it!!

cheers fnq
FNQ,
They will not sell you the hull only.
You have to buy their package which is with a Etec or Merc Efi.
Small town and only one who builds these boats and has plenty of orders.
The 150 Etec quoted $18500 and 150 Efi Merc $14000.
Since found out he does sell the Merc version of the HPDI [ Not sure what that means as he told my son but dearer then the Etec.]
As i stated before beautifull boats.
How do the outboard prices compare.
Troy

Blackened
19-12-2007, 02:59 PM
G'day

troy, the merc equiv. of the etec is optimax, has been around for a lot longer.

I agree with mr. bean, if hours wont be big, just stick to traditional 2stroke

Dave

Scott nthQld
19-12-2007, 03:48 PM
have you tried going out of town to find another manufacturer you like? Use the net to find other boat builders, the list is almost endless. Often you will find that if you are willing to spend a little on fuel for your car for travel, you will get a much better deal and more of what you want in your boat than the small operator who has the monopoly in the area and can dictate how its going to be.

Example, when my old man bought his boat, he got quotes from all the local guys, drove to Sydney (when we lived in Wollongong, so not a great distance) and got a boat with the same specs 4 grand cheaper than any others, and ended up getting more fitout options included. So he saved $4000 and got a boat more suited to his needs for the sake of $100 in fuel (2 trips to Sydney, one to purchase, one the collect, all in a Holden 308, which is why the fuel cost a bit more).

So don't hesitate in driving around a bit to find what yoiu really want, after all, its your hard earned, and you should get what you want for it.

troy
19-12-2007, 05:36 PM
have you tried going out of town to find another manufacturer you like? Use the net to find other boat builders, the list is almost endless. Often you will find that if you are willing to spend a little on fuel for your car for travel, you will get a much better deal and more of what you want in your boat than the small operator who has the monopoly in the area and can dictate how its going to be.

Example, when my old man bought his boat, he got quotes from all the local guys, drove to Sydney (when we lived in Wollongong, so not a great distance) and got a boat with the same specs 4 grand cheaper than any others, and ended up getting more fitout options included. So he saved $4000 and got a boat more suited to his needs for the sake of $100 in fuel (2 trips to Sydney, one to purchase, one the collect, all in a Holden 308, which is why the fuel cost a bit more).

So don't hesitate in driving around a bit to find what yoiu really want, after all, its your hard earned, and you should get what you want for it.
Scott,
Done all that and the waiting list on boats is really ridiculuos
Troy

Blackened
19-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Scott,
Done all that and the waiting list on boats is really ridiculuos
Troy

G'day

Troy, have you considered importing?

Dave

PinHead
19-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I just got the 150 EFI Merc on my new boat..I was not interested in high tech engines etc.

Troy...my question is..why not just go and buy whatever you want..any advice given by anyone on here is merely that..and...if you bought a boat based solely on advice off the net, then I guess you do need some serious assistance...but not fomr on here. If you want a Yamaha then get a Yamaha....tell the dealer to stick his boat where the sun don't shine and move on...there are plenty of other dealers out there looking for a sale.

PinHead
19-12-2007, 06:13 PM
the waiting list is ridiculous..that is why I bought a boat that was ex stock..flatly refuse to wait for locally made boats...either stock them or get out of the business.

manchild
19-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Despite the putdowns on e-tecs by people who never seen one they fare very well when it comes down to the facts .Read all about that here:http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC5.aspx
George

troy
19-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I just got the 150 EFI Merc on my new boat..I was not interested in high tech engines etc.

Troy...my question is..why not just go and buy whatever you want..any advice given by anyone on here is merely that..and...if you bought a boat based solely on advice off the net, then I guess you do need some serious assistance...but not fomr on here. If you want a Yamaha then get a Yamaha....tell the dealer to stick his boat where the sun don't shine and move on...there are plenty of other dealers out there looking for a sale.
PinHead,
I know what you are trying to say and i agree with you but here how it goes-Seafarer-hopeless due to merger-Haines Hunter 3 months-Cruise Craft 3 months-Gale Force- no reply- and it goes on and on.
My first choice was a haines hunter 520 prowler and in the whole of QLD -3 Months.
If anyone can do better with the above boats please let me know.
Troy.
Ps i am down grading from a bigger boat.

troy
20-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Well hes had so much hassle with boats i couldnt give a shit
Well mate i had not sold my boat 3 months ago.
Just had a deposit placed.
Why the agro.
Troy

troy
20-12-2007, 09:54 AM
bye bye timmyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/angry.gif

Troy how did you go with your boat?
Did you track down the guys who left the deposit?
Yes Mate they finally contacted me yesterday and are picking it up Saturday.
Thanks
Troy

Blackened
20-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Yes Mate they finally contacted me yesterday and are picking it up Saturday.
Thanks
Troy

G'day

Well done troy, good to see its all working out for you,

Have you asked them why they seemed to go to ground?

Dave

troy
20-12-2007, 11:37 AM
G'day

Well done troy, good to see its all working out for you,

Have you asked them why they seemed to go to ground?

Dave
Dave,
They told me the banks were giving them the run around.
Thanks
Troy

Blackened
20-12-2007, 11:41 AM
G'day

I can understand that happening, but still no excuse for the odd phone call

Glad for you that its all coming to an end

Dave

snasman
20-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Good to hear you got your Rig Troy I hope it is enjoyed. :) came early for you.

Timmy has made it public (on this site) that he goes to St Pats. St Pats publishes a list of student's phone numbers. His number is already in the public domain but it has been removed anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who threatens a member here doesn't deserve the anonymity of the net.

kev

On the money again Kev.Well said