PDA

View Full Version : That's me..............buggered.

kingtin
18-12-2007, 11:41 PM
OK, for those of you in the zipper club........a few questions. I was told that generally, manual labourers can return to work after 12 wks. As I haven't done any manual labouring for 15 yrs, I feel it a bit disconcerting when I try to chuck an 8ft cast net on the lawn and nearly collapse in pain in week 11 when I'm used to chucking a 10 footer.

There's no bloody way that I am gonna miss my Xmas camping trip to the pin but there's also no bloody way that I am gonna be able to catch live bait. I also won't be able to bang big spikes into the rubble at the side of the tweed when I try to put up my obligatory 24 x 16 tarp mid Jan.

The deckie has pre-empted me and seeing as I bought her an early Chrizzy prezzy of an Astra, she has bought me a:

http://blackwolf.com.au/turbo/turbo-300/

with a:http://blackwolf.com.au/turbo/front-side-panels/

Meself, I fancied the Oztent, but it only went 2.6 whereas the Black Wolf goes 3m so I think she did her research better than me.

The tent took no more than 30 seconds to erect (in the garage) but although there was no banging of pegs etc, I was buggered before I'd finished putting up the accessories such as side walls and front panel.

Now this isn't a thread about camping so I posted it here. It's a thread about our capabilities regarding fishing etc when we get older/infirm, bearing in mind that I'm only 59.

For those of you that have had a shock.............do you recover (mentally) and accept your (in) capabilities? Do you cry in your beer glass and give up the challenge altogether? Do you simply limit your expectations and accept that you ain't the person you once was? or..................do you say F**k it, you only live once and push the limits and accept that you bow out early (of this life) having at least enjoyed it (if somewhat painfully). Bear in mind that you have responsibilities to your wife and kids.

I don't know really if I should lay this on members, it's just that I'd been told that I would have a whole new lease of life once the op was done and yet I feel like I'm totally f****d. I ain't no wuss but I just don't feel I'm capable of what I was 12 weeks ago. 12 weeks ago I didn't think that there was anything wrong with me and I was plodding along ok. From the moment that they told me I was buggered and they'd fix it, I feel incapable of most of what I'd done before.

I ain't whingeing (despite being a Pom) I just want to know how other folk in the zipper club have faired.

kev

Kayak1
19-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Mate, no personal experience in the zippered club but I guess each case would vary in recovery times and to what level of fitness could be attained. Sounds like you've got a good supportive wife. I can only hope you get a few good encouraging replies come your way with helpful suggestions and realistic goals. You've encouraged many over time with your posts. Let's hope its reciprocated.

Cheers,
Steve.

Poodroo
19-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Kev I know your fitness levels will continue to improve in time and I know you aren't a quitter. Only 11 weeks on after such major surgery it is amazing that you are doing what you are doing at this stage. We are all individuals and as individuals our healing and recovery times vary and therefore so too does our capabilities. Keep setting the bar that little bit higher each time and set goals and you will be as fit as a bull in no time. Hope you, Bridget, and the kids have a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Regards,

Poodroo

Flattie Assassin
19-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Give it a little more time. Only early days kev.

rob tranter
19-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Hi Kev

While I'm not quite in the Zipper Club yet, (I've only had a Stent put in at 45, with two 50% blockages left that are deteriating quicker than the Dr's anticipated, so I guess it won't be long before I go back), I can tell you that my Dad had his first at 52 and was back at work as a Boilermaker within six Months.

Anyway everyone I know that has joined the Club have said that they feel great, but it is a slow and painfull exercise, as you are finding out.
My eldest brother joined the Club around two years ago and is now as fit as the old malley bull, it took time but he got there, so hang in there mate and you will get over the pain side and soon find that your able to do cartwheels.
May not be January but it will be soon.

Oh yeh
Stop whingeing you Pommy Bastard;D

And

Merry Christmas to you and Your Family

And a Very Happy & Healthy New Year

Rob T8-)

garret
19-12-2007, 06:29 AM
face it kev, its only been 11 weeks, and things tend to take a little more time to heal when you are a little richer in years.

my father had the same thing done 2 years ago at 60 and like you he thought he would be fighting fit in no time at all, well it took a little longer than 12 weeks but now 2 years down the line the bugger can run circles round me and still go on for more, so just give it a little more time and allow yourself to heal properly and you will be good as new in no time

and from one ex pat (non whinging) pom to another, merry christmas to you and yours;D;D

finga
19-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Well Kev you have only better health to look forward too and each and every new thing that your able to do will be a huge bonus.
A lot of people have to modify the way in which they live due to un-forseen circumstances.
You'll always be Kev and no bugger or thing can take that away from you no matter what.

I had to suddenly and seriously change my life considerably about 10 years ago (actually 10 years and 2 weeks).
Going from working 12-13 hours days to nothing is really hard to take.
Going from depending on using my hands to having one next to useless and the other pretty knackered as well to the extent of having difficulty using my pair of pliers and screwdriver left me devastated.
The worst part was that I really enjoyed my work and loved going to work.
I loved manual labour where at the end of the day you could stand back and say. Goodo.

I was lost. I didn't know how to fill in the days.
After the first 1 1/2 hours of watching telly I was lost.
I thought myself as a useless worn out broken down piece of crap because I couldn't do what I used to do.
It took me about 4 years to get over that.
In the begiining I got hooked on the Panadeine Forte. I was taking between 16 and 20 a day to try and control the pain for about 2-3 years.
One day though I was doing a crossword and I come to an easy question but could not get the answer. I thought what the hell?? What's going on here??
I did some research (asked the doctor) and found out it was the pills turning my head to marshmallows.
I threw them out and my head cleared up in about 2 weeks. Woohooo!!

As time went on though I learn't I could still do things but no where near the same extent or time frame.
I had to redefine what I could realistically do.
I also had to gear myself up to cover the bases of my inabilities.
I built new apparatuses to help me do some of the tasks my hands could not do anymore.
I also had to adapt.

In the last few years I have had a lot of trouble holding my rod.
As soon as a bigger fish (over 2kg) gets hooked I've had to hand the rod over to someone else to get in. I couldn't hold it.
Hopefully this is a thing of the past as I've made myself some 'funny' spiral wrap rods and mofied my spinning rods.
The grip suits me down to a tee and the way that the 'torque' is eliminated is quite amasing.
Sadly though using a beach rod is a thing of the past.

I couldn't pull start the little outboard anymore so that was easy to fix.
Got myself a Honda with electric start. Problem solved :D

So that's how I fill my days now. Making and modifying things just so I can carry on my life as best I can in the way I used too.
Working pretty good too :D

Next year I'll have to start some of that all over again.
My elbows are going now and surgery on one is in the new year.

I may not be the same person that I was 10 years ago ...but I'll always be that cranky bugger. That just isn't going to change :D

Whitto
19-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Gee Kev where do I start, Joined the Zipper Club in 2000, What an experience those first couple of days after the op I wouldn't have wished the pain on my worst enemy, On about the 3rd or 4th day I thought I was going NUTS, I was crying and carrying on (very emotional) the nurse reported this and before I knew it in comes the Ward Sister and in a nice way she gave me a rocket, In her words she claimed this was normal ,your not going nuts, you have had major surgery, you are alive and made it through this ordeal a big weight has been lifted Now get on with it and move on, I knew then it wasn't just me and I was not alone, never had a problem from that day on (although some would beg to differ), Physically Kev I was told to listen to my body, if it hurts back off, it takes a long time for the Sternum to repair itself despite being wired together, when I first came home I could count my heart rate just by listening, it's because your are very much aware of your situation, now I don't hear it. Kev don't ask too much of yourself it take along time to get back to some type of normallity, You will find there are things you can't do, that happens even if you didn't have a Cardiac problem, The thing to remember is that we have been repaired not fixed, you will learn to work around any inability u are confronted with, Give yourself time Kev, I know your not an idiot Ive read your posts (I know u have a sense of humor as well, u will need to fall back on that from time to time), As long as your Heart is doing what it's suppose too do, FOLLOW IT, Take care Kev I know u will, from one Zipper Club member too another, Have a Great Christmas and an even better 2008, Cheers Whitto

BigE
19-12-2007, 06:46 AM
you will get there Kev after major surgery it take about 12mth to get back to "normal" the important thing is to take small steps slowly gaining more ability each week. I know it's frustratiing right now but be cautious as you are at the point in recovery where you can bring alot of hard work undone with a little bit of frustration. fix you up the first time was do-able trying to mend a broken repair is alot more difficult. PAIN MEANS STOP. think of it as your bodies smoke alarm & listen to it. one of the best things you can do to increase your capability is a streaching program, your Dr should be able to give you a diagram chart of streaches, keep a diary & Take measurement so you can see the improvement and set reasonable targets. reset your short term goals if you like fishing & have kids then some times catching whiting can be just as rewarding as landing whales (you may even discover new rewards) the missues sounds like a GEM doing you on the tent (lol) whenever your get down about your progress take a deep breath & think of the outcomes for your other half if you stuff your recovery up by being impatient. On the up side going back to basics with the kids while fishing is a good thing you can never reinforce the basics in any sport enough and it is amazing how things come back to you in ways you never thought of. enough from me be grateful for the second chance..... not everyone gets to play on that team.
Regards
BigE

el_carpo
19-12-2007, 07:03 AM
You'll have to exercise--CAREFULLY. You'll build your strength back up. See about what they'd have you do in a physical therapy program. You may even be able to get help from a gym or fitness center. They usually have trainers on staff that may know what exercise regimen would be good for you. Just a thought.

Take some walks around the neighborhood. Lift some smaller weights. In time, your strength will return. It won't happen overnight but it will happen.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did...

I busted my ankle really bad two years ago. I was stuck in bed recovering and when I started to feel alright, I decided I would be fine. Well, knucklehead that I am, I went fishing on a muddy, steep riverbank. I saw a spot that looked real good up river. To get to it, I had to climb over some tangled exposed tree roots. Guess what I did......trip, slip and BANG! Full force right on the shin of my hurt ankle. I re-damaged all of my connective ankle thingies and had to hop uphill on one foot back to the car. My ankle is STILL "weird" two years later. I took an incredibly stupid risk and am going to pay for it the rest of my life.

My wound only affected my ankle. Yours is about the heart. Much higher stakes involved. Be smart about this Kingtin. Get your strength back first and be very very cautious about what risks you take.

You can still take the camping trip and have a good time with the family, just make sure you let others handle the stuff you're temporarily having a tough time with for now. No problemo.

Freeeedom
19-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Hang in there Kev, and make fitness your number one goal.
Five years ago I was a virtual cripple with both knees completely shot. I couldn't even walk around the supermarket and standing in the surf for a couple of hours would result in several days of subsequent pain.
I finally bit the bullet and had both knees replaced at the same time - I figured that, since everyone was telling me how painful the recovery would be, I might as well go through it once instead of twice.
Well I was amazed at how quickly I recovered. Maybe it was because I had been living with pain for the last 10 to 15 years and had become tolerant of it, but I didn't find the pain too bad. They had me on my feet on the second day, on crutches on the third and sent me home on the sixth day.
That was when the work started. I was determined not to become a shuffling shadow of my former self, having been very active all my life. I walked, stretched and flexed the knees in the hydrotherapy pool day after day, and as the legs and knees strengthened began to put more weight on them by climbing up and down the pool steps time after time. As soon as I could walk without crutches I started walking and doing step-ups every day, making the step-ups gradually higher, always pushing the limits of both pain and endurance.
By the time I was due to go back to the surgeon after six weeks I was able to leave my crutches behind and walk into his office easily and unaided. I have about 140 degrees flexion in both knees and absolutely no pain. This is a terrific result compared to many other knee transplants.
I won't ever be able to run marathons or play football again but I can do almost anything else I want to, and I put it down to the work I put in the recovery and rehabilitation stage. I feel like a new - well slightly used and worn - man, and it has given me a new lease on life (and fishing). Since I retired at the same time it couldn't have worked out better.
So set yourself some fitness goals and keep on pushing yourself to your current limit, then just a little beyond it each day. I'm sure the long term benefits will be worth it. You've got great family support and the whole Ausfish community on your side
Cheers Freeeedom

PS - Geez, we're a bunch of old crocs on this site, aren't we????

Timfishin4fun
19-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Don't give up too early, I haven't had something as bad as you but I had my share of problems so I know how you feel. I suggest limiting yourself enough so you can enjoy your favourite pastimes. Also at 59 ya still a youngin so think of the future, now is not the time to ruin what you have left. I personally still enjoy and push the limits on the things I love but I try to think about only pushing so far that I wont pay for it to stop me doing something the next day.

These trials and tribulations are character building I know your a character already so look out ausfish when you fully recover.

Have a top time mate and be safe.

Tim

Biteback
19-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Kev it takes a long time for bones to nit. My brother had his first zipper done when he was 36. He was in pain for a few months, it isnt like having a broken arm, they cant put a plaster on your chest. He was using a pillow under his seatbelt for quite a while and it took even longer before he could do anything but the lightest of work. Before he went in for his surgery we did some research and found out that some people take up to 6 months to feel mentally and physically able to resume normal lifestyle. Even in winter he feels some bone pain from the cold. Hang in there Kev, you will improve and you will be surprised at how much you will be able to do in the near future. Just let yourself heal and listen to what your doctors and your wife says.

Trev

B_E_N
19-12-2007, 08:53 AM
well it seems everyone is saying youll get your fitness back in time, while your waiting you have sons that are able bodied enough to do the work for you and catch your bait! if they can throw a rod in they can throw a net, and if they cant pitch a tent and your forced to do it they can sleep outside! lol they will hate me for saying that but its good for them! meanwhile you can sit back, refreshing beverage in hand

szopen
19-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Kev,

I don't visit here very often recently, so I am very happy to see that everything went well with the op.

Give it some time and you will be fit again.

rando
19-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Gday Kev.
I cant add to whats been said about recovery, patience is the key ,I think.
Happy Christmas to you and your family.;D
Rob

gunna
19-12-2007, 10:36 AM
What everyone else says Kev. Time and patience. Got a good mate who has had the zipper job. We started with walks around the block. Just that simple thing really knocked him about. Two years down the track he is as good as gold and does pretty much everything he did before.

But you also ask the question what do others do. Unfortunately got another good mate who had his bowel removed about 6 years back. Despite having been given the all clear about 2 years ago, still stays close to home. Won't get too far away from "medical help if needed". Won't travel even a few hundred kilometres to see friends. Keepps insisting he needs a couple years yet to be confident.

Thats the sort of bloke I feel sorry for. Won't worry you though. Anyone trying to cast net at 12 weeks is obviously busting to get at it again. Just give it time.

stonecold
19-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Mate as Ben says thats why we have families..
I'm not in the zipper club but at 35 was told I had the back of a 60 year old brick layer, to much footy, gym and lifting fence posts. It changed my life. I went from invincible to a a wreck in the space of a day. I dont know what brought it on but In the end I pushed myself around the office in my office chair for 6 months while I recovered. I often asked the question of thats it am I stuffed am I ever going to get even half as good as I use to be? Will I ever walk to the end of Iluka wall and catch jew again, will I ever make it out to sea again with the constant jar of the boat going over the swells.

I spoke to many people and the doctors all said fusion was the only answer. Didnt like the thought of that.

I spoke to a fellow martial arts instructor who had gone through the same ordeal. He said he asked the same questions but after 6-8 months he was back doing what he loved. That same instructor is now 81 years old, he's 5ft tall and 55kg ringing wet but crap I'd hate to cross him. He still kicks like a mule. I saw him crack a shit last year at a grading and pull 4 fully grown men to there knees.

These days at 39 I'm back at in the boat go to the gym, instruct martial arts (still kick the young fellas butts! hehe) play soccer throw a cast net (where I'm allowed). If there is something that I cant do, and there are a few things, I ask for help...Mate when do you need a hand to bash the spikes into the side of the Tweed? If I'm about I'll give you a hand no problem.

At the end of the day they cut open your chest...your not going to recover at the same rate as when you were 20 years old....it'll take time.
Most importantly STAY POSITIVE no point crying in your beer...only wastes good beer!

All the best

Mark

Scott nthQld
19-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Not personally in the zipper club, thoughI do have a mate that has been a member for a few years now, at only 33 (now), he had a heart attack and bypass surgery when he was just 24. It took him nearly a full 2 years to get back to work and enjoy his normal leisure activities again, but he even admits it was mostly a mental thing, and having a heart attack at 24 was a huge scare for him, so he just shut down, he wouldn't even drive a car for those 2 years. Physically though, it took him about 4 months before the doctors cleared him for normal activity, which they said was a long time considering he was a health nut who worked out regularly, ate well, and a non smoker. His doctors were dumbfounded at how someone in such a healthy condition could have a heart attack, especially at such a relatively young age.

Not to put a damper on your situation, but even a fit young 24 year old took longer than the 12 wk recommendation to be physically cleared, so you, being where you are at now, is a great accomplishment, and it can only get better from here, just keep taking it easy, and remember...baby steps will see you on your way to a full recovery sooner than trying to aim too high so soon.

revs57
19-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey Kev,

I hear ya big fella and ya aint no wuss!!! I guess that's why people convalescing from illness and ailment patients???

There is a lot of waiting around...time to tie new rigs, service the reels, check the runners on ya rods, get the charts out to sus out some new grounds and plan some meaningful onslaughts, get on ausfish and keep the fires burning, and if ya can't share whats going on with ya mates, what's the point of being on here.

We're with ya bloke and it will get better

Love to brigit and the kids

Cheers

Rhys

Ausfish
19-12-2007, 04:06 PM
It will take time. They wouldn't let me start massaging again for 12 weeks. I felt great, until I did something and then ran out of puff quickly. It has been 9 months now and I feel 100%. Probably took about 5 months to get back to that though, I would say I got to about 80% fairly quickly though. Thanks to doing cardiac rehab twice a week for 6 weeks and then personal training and gym 2 to 3 times a week since.

It takes time and patience, it is one of the biggest ops you can have so don't beat yourself up if it takes you a while.

In answers to your question about what people do after such a event, I say grab it by the ... and run with it, you only live once. Life is way to short to sit back and listen to experts tell you what you can and can't do.

PinHead
19-12-2007, 05:36 PM
stick with it Kev..you will get there...I can vouch for what Steve says...he looks good after what he has been through..and he sure as hell has his apetite back.

My father in law joined the club November last year...took him about 6 months to get back into the swing of things..he just got back from a 2 week holiday in NZ on his own...and he will be turning 80 in February..he skips around like a 60 year old these days.

2DKnBJ
19-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself Kev.
It wasn't that long ago(11 weeks) they had you opened up from a__hole to breakfast time,well almost.One would think it will take a bit of time to get back on track and be fully fit again.
I will more than likely be heading down the Pin after Xmas for a day trip so if you are there i will drop by and throw the net for ya.
Cheers Dazza

BilgeBoy
19-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi Kev

Go you good thing!!!

Mate what a response to your email...Talk about support from your Ozfish mates!!!

I had an uncle with the zipper....he lived for bloody centuries after that!! All the very best of luck with it mate...I like Scott's attitude, just adjust everything to make it work for your situation! I think you deserve knocking it back at least one gear...just not to Neutral.

Merry Christmas and all the best

BilgeBoy

theoldlegend
20-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day Kev.

Slowly slowly, little bit at a time, don't stress if you haven't got it any more, it'll come back. It takes time. Too much at once and you'll overdo it.

Sit back, deep breath, it'll come back to you Kev.

TOL

ColacGirl
20-12-2007, 09:20 AM
There's no bloody way that I am gonna miss my Xmas camping trip to the pin

Glad to hear it mate :)

Now stop stressing, Ross & I will be there ready and waiting to help your deckie & boys set up your camp, while you relax in a comfy chair and enjoy the view. We'll wait on you hand and foot if need be! I'll even go check the pots with Ross.
See there's nothing for you to do except eat, drink and be merry.... so leave your grumpiness at home.... just relax and enjoy!

--
Bev

Dirtysanchez
20-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Mate you seem to have a wonderful extended family care of this site, and it sounds like you will be well looked after when you go camping, so for this one at least you will just have to sit back and be looked after like Bev says.

Think about it mate, they have cut through bone and cartlidges in your rib cage, so any wonder it hurts ! I got booted in the ribs at TKD training one night and it took a month to stop hurting, so in my opinion you are doing pretty well 8-)

Just take it easy, enjoy the time with your family and friends and be grateful for them, and for the fact that you've come through it well and it will get better from here on.

I wish you all the very best, and hope you still enjoy the camping ;)

Cheers

Russ

Whitto
20-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Well Kev that says it all, Take advantage of the help and advise sit back and enjoy, Now next year will be a different kettle of fish and u will be wondering what all the fuss was about, again to U and your Family have a Great Christmas and u will have a Great 2008:D Cheers Whitto

PS Next year maybe we can get Steve to start a new page (Show us your Scars);D;D

kingtin
20-12-2007, 04:01 PM
See there's nothing for you to do except eat, drink and be merry.... so leave your grumpiness at home.... just relax and enjoy!

--
Bev

Me? Grumpy! Never!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_211.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_207.gif

kingtin
20-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Well Ausfishers, I'm overwhelmed. Your response has been phenomenal, both here, and via pm http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

I suppose I was feeling rather sorry for myself after putting my back out again, on top of my other woes, and then hitting the Chateaux de Cardboard Box .

I was just a bit miffed after re-reading all the pamphlets they bung at you in hospital and wondering as to how "manual workers" can go back to work after 12 wks http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_6.gif If a bricky or roofer can even *think* about work after going through this, then I must be a real wuss http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_171.gif

I would love to respond to you all personally, but I can assure you that I have read all your posts and am truly grateful for you all helping me to put things back into perspective. It appears that I'm just an impatient bugger http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_17_20.gif

I suppose I shall just have to be more patient and continually re-assure myself as to just how lucky I am, as some poor buggers never get a second chance as I have. I have wonderful support, both at home, and here, and some poor buggers don't even get that. (isn't Ausfish just a wonderful community?) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_3_15.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_103.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_108.gif

I have appreciated your insights and personal experiences and sincerely thank you for your well wishes generally and in particular for the seasonal ones.

Thank you all and may your Xmas be a safe, happy, rewarding, and joyous one.

My best wishes from me and mine, to you and yours

kev

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_59.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_59.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_77v.gif

Volvo
20-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Kev, i think everyones about said all could be said so from me "All the best and a quick recovery" have a Merry Christmas:) Plenty of Fishing outings ahead of you yet....
Cheers

slyman
20-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Kev, everyone here has given great advice and support mate. I'm not a member of the zipper club, as you know, but I've spent the last nearly 14 years on the other side of the fence helping out those who need a zipper "installed", so to speak, and there has been quite a lot of them too.

I never got to talk to anyone who has gone through the rehabilitation/recovery side of things though, so I can't offer much advice. However, it seems there are quite a few Ausfish members here who have been there, and they are certainly more than qualified to offer advice.

Everyone heals at their own rate, regardless of what surgery they have. The important thing is not to overdo it out of frustration, that could prolong your recovery time. I've heard that people aren't supposed to even drive a vehicle for those 12 weeks while the sternum heals. As the saying goes "Time Heals All Wounds", and in this case "Patience" is a big factor too. Positive Mental Attitude towards recovery is a huge help, psychological recovery is just as important as physical recovery.

As frustrating as it is not being able to get stuck back into the things you love, focus your energy on achieving your goals, start off small, and work your way up to full speed. It sounds like you have great support from your family and friends, let them take care of the heavier work on your Xmas trip, there'll be plenty of opportunities for you to repay the favour on future trips!!

Wishing you and your nearest and dearest a very happy and safe Xmas and New Year!

Take care

Simon

GAD
20-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I agree , A quick recovery , so you can get out fishing ,all the best .

nigelr
21-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Kev, 11 weeks is nothing after an operation like yours.
As the saying goes, "It will happen, but it won't happen overnight".
Patience is the hardest thing, but it is possible to learn how much even the simplest physical things are taken for granted when we are well and fit!
Won't be long and you'll be better than new!
Some fantastic advice given by those 'zippered' or otherwise!
Have a great Chrissie, and TAKE IT EASY!
After all, you don't want to end up back in hossy............::)
Cheers to you and yours, hey you might have to go easy hauling those monster vermin for a month or two........8-)

LostNearBribie
21-12-2007, 11:00 AM
No advice that has not already been given.
But just wanted to wish you all the best.
You have a love of fishing that shines through even over the net!
Good luck to you and your family.

Red.

Scalem
21-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Gday Kingtin, this is MRS Scalem here. Scalem showed me your post. My dad's first and only heart attack ended his fishing days at age 60 - just 6 months into his retirement. My brother followed in his footsteps 9 years later at age 36 - again his first and only heart attack! They fish together in heaven now. My remaining brother now has a very different perspective on life - gave up smoking, eats better, gets more exercise - and spends pretty much every cent on enjoying his life while he is here - which includes MUCH fishing, camping and seeing Australia. While the recovery might seem slower than you would like, I encourage you to take things easy in these early days and give yourself the time to regain your strength. It is a blessing that you now have a chance to enjoy your life with a new perspective that only this sort of experience can give. Enjoy the holidays and your new tent! All the best for a great 2008!

gawby
21-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Kev,
Just remember, cut from throat to stermen, angle grinder up the ribcage and then spreaders in the chest cavity to pill it apart.
How do you reckon you would feel after that and only a short time ago.
Mate i was still going back to hospital at 12 weeks because of my setbacks with my operation 2 years ago.
(1) No blood pressure, chopper back to the P.A. from Canungra.
(2) Christmas day at 11-30am, Joanne pick up the phone and dial numbers with ambulance attached to it. My heart was drowniong in fluid in the heart sack.
(3) Gert home and when i walked in the door the phone rang, come back to the hospital your bed is waiting for you.
I went back to work after 5 months and i suffered after as you can imagine, lifting the heavy ramps on my truck and tieing down the cars played havoc on my chest and took me the best part of 18 months to get over it.
Mate, take it easy and lap up the attention you get from the deckie.
You don't want any setbacks, mine were unavoidable.
You appear to be making good progress and whinging like a pom so keep it up.
Haven't been out to that mark yet as been working hard but will give you a call on the way back when i do to drop you off a feed.
Cheers and beers for xmas to you all

Graeme

MyEscape
23-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Kev,

Where I work we deal with clients who have had acquired brain injuries and we manage their finances, what I have found with most of or clients is that they focus on what they still can do, rather than dwell on the stuff that they aren't able to.

Your fitness will come back.

Some people with acquired brain injuries take months and years to partially recover. Eve4ry time I'm felling down about things, I don't take long to realise that things can get a lot worse.

All the best.

Steve

kingtin
23-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Once again, my heartfelt thanks to all who have offered me advice and encouragement and my apologies for me not being able to answer you individually, but I can't sit at the keyboard for too long as I've now put my back out yet again ::)

As I know that a few of you were going to pay me a visit when I went camping, this is to let you know that unfortunately our obligatory Xmas trip to the Pin is now off, as not only do I think I may be pushing my luck, but unfortunately my camping buddies Ross and Bev (Colac Girl) are indisposed due to Ross injuring his foot.

I will be spending a few days at their place and despite the likelihood of us not finding any mud crabs in his dam, I'm sure that we will nevertheless have a bloody good time and thoroughly enjoy our conversations with Johnny Cougar and Charlie Cognac http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_4_118.gif

All the best from me and mine to you and yours, and have a very happy, and safe Xmas. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_14.gif

kev

ColacGirl
23-12-2007, 08:18 PM
.... unfortunately my camping buddies Ross and Bev (Colac Girl) are indisposed due to Ross injuring his foot.

That's a polite way of putting it Kev :-) I'd have just told 'em the stupid idiot nearly sliced two toes off with a stanley knife! I can't believe he's got 3 weeks holiday and now can't get his foot wet for 2 of them!

I will be spending a few days at their place and despite the likelihood of us not finding any mud crabs in his dam

Might get some yabbies :-)

I'm sure that we will nevertheless have a bloody good time and thoroughly enjoy our conversations with Johnny Cougar and Charlie Cognac http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_4_118.gif

That's the spirit Kev, eat, drink and be merry :)

:laola:

--
Bev

cqfreshie
23-12-2007, 10:18 PM
So much friendly advice and goodwill on this site demonstrates that people, from all walks of life, can come together and support one and other.:D :D

Just the medicine you need Kev, and it's good to see you taking in doses.:D ;)

Have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.:) :)

Graham