PDA

View Full Version : how small is too small?

crowser
16-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering what everyone else thought about the length a boat should be to be able to face the rough seas, and any sudden mishap that could occur while on the ocean.

cheers

trueblue
16-12-2007, 09:38 PM
anything nature can throw at you on the ocean... thats a big call

sleepygreg
16-12-2007, 09:44 PM
The Titanic sank!!!!

breamnut
16-12-2007, 09:46 PM
they are making a boat like 3 times bigger then the titanic in the US somewere we will see how that goes and i will let you know

Jeremy87
16-12-2007, 10:04 PM
based on the unpredictability of mother nature the short anwser is none, but if you are happy to take calculated risks then there is a boat out there to match the conditions you wish to navigate. 10 foot punts are capable of going offshore in good weather(but you'll be making a calculated risk), some 14ft boats are better suited for outside than 20fters. a better question would be to ask how suitable a certain boat is for specific parametres.

Horse
16-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Another point is the skills, experience and competence of the person in charge

charleville
16-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Just wondering what everyone else thought about the length a boat should be to be able to face the rough seas, and any sudden mishap that could occur while on the ocean.

I once knew an old Norwegian sea captain of a big container ship. He was a rough old salt with bullet wounds through his face from WW2 and I once asked him what he did in cyclones.

His answer was that he did not go out in cyclones. He headed for the nearest port and stayed there until the rough weather subsided. No matter that staying in port cost his company zillions of $, he was charged with the ship's safety and did not take risks. He was quite adamant about this.

I have often been reminded of his response when I have flown over the ocean and seen big ships looking so small relative to the vast expanse of the ocean.

I am not altogether sure that the size of the ship has any relevance when the weather gets really rough. There have been lots of very small sailing craft that have circumnavigated the globe and have at times turned right over in rough seas. I think that the real question is about the seagoing qualities of the boat and of its master rather than the size.

"Can your boat take a wave over its side and keep afloat and traveling under its own power?" may be a better question followed only by whether you as its master can take a wave over the side and not fall apart.

rando
16-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Serge Testa, a Brisbane chap, sailed around the world a few years back in a boat about 3.2 metres long. His adventure included sailing through a cyclone in the Indian ocean somewhere new Christmas Island. If my memory serves I think he went right through the eye of the storm.
Its a case of knowing your boats capabilities and your own.

finga
17-12-2007, 05:49 AM
Serge Testa, a Brisbane chap, sailed around the world a few years back in a boat about 3.2 metres long. His adventure included sailing through a cyclone in the Indian ocean somewhere new Christmas Island. If my memory serves I think he went right through the eye of the storm.
Its a case of knowing your boats capabilities and your own.
That little boat is at the Maritime Museum at Southbank isn't it??
That is truly an amasing story well worth reading.

Whitto
17-12-2007, 06:47 AM
There's no such thing, only common sense, mind u If u are caught that's another story, Whitto

Noelm
17-12-2007, 06:58 AM
the size of the Boat has very little to do with how it will go in big seas (within reason) remember after a big ship goes under, people jump into a very small life Boat and survive, take a look at the Surf Club "rubber ducks" they are tiny and go through all sorts of "proper" breaking waves, so I guess it all comes down to the Skippers ability, if you still have power, and enough fuel, and a fair degree of luck!! the size of the Boat has bugger all to do with it, but design MAY pay a huge part in surving big saes!

rando
17-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes Finga
Thats the one at the museum, "Arcorc"( spelling), he built and designed it himself,it has some very interesting design features.

polky
17-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Crowser, depending on weather,skipper ability and condition of boat and motor, all these factors and more weighin to wether to go off shore or not. Polky.

el_carpo
17-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I agree with the consensus.

One of my hobbies is collecting wild mushrooms. While learning to identify different species, I asked many other experienced "shroomers" if they ever tried a mushroom that they weren't 100 percent sure of (some varieties are deadly poisonous.)

One guy laughed and told me a line that stuck with me ...."You can be a bold 'shroomer and you can be an old 'shroomer but you can't be both."

I think that line can be applied to many potentially dangerous activities, boating included. You just have to know what you're doing backwards and front, know your limitations and never take crazy, bold risks and you should be fine.

Tangles
17-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I was once told that a ping pong ball was the safest thing on the water;D anything bigger than that well your the skipper who should know your and your boats capabilities.

mike