PDA

View Full Version : Can't get fuel to the outboard

keen_angler
16-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Guys,
I have a problem getting the fuel to the outboard (2001 Yamaha 2 stroke key start) the tank is 3/4 full. I have changed the main fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter.

I squeeze the primer bulb and I can see it sucking up the fuel and then if I stop pumping the fuel drains back to the tank.:(

What could be the problem do I just go and buy a new primer bulb and fuel filter??

What else could I check.

Cheers

finga
16-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes. new bulb and filter will probably fix the problem.
The pumper bulbs should have a non-return valve in them.

polky
16-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Agree with finga primer bulb. Polky.

bluefin59
16-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Have you tried cranking the motor ,my fin has 60lt underfloor and filter and when i first got it i couldn't get it to pump up and phoned the people i bought it from they said turn the motor over and let the fuel pump do the job ,i'v had it nearly 4 yrs and it always starts first go and never had to touch the primer bulb ....matt

Blackened
16-12-2007, 08:17 PM
G'day

I've had the insides of my primer bulb disintegrate before, start there as thats more than likely what it will be.

Dave

tigermullet
16-12-2007, 09:48 PM
You just might have that primer bulb positioned the wrong way around. Check the arrows:o

Fed
17-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Check your breather too.

Blaster Bretty
17-12-2007, 03:29 PM
As Fed said... check the breather on the tank...the fuel tank needs the breather to be opened fully so as the air will replace the fuel once leaving the tank...it happened to me the first time I tried to start my new boat,,, couldnt work out why the bulb would pump fuel to the motor but after a few cranks the line was dry... I had the breather closed...o
once opened all was sweet as...

Bretty

bluefin59
17-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Is it an underfloor or one of those plastic things mate...matt

keen_angler
17-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Is it an underfloor or one of those plastic things mate...matt

matt it is an underfloor tank

bluefin59
17-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Just as i imagined i guess you have a canister filter system as well if thats the case do what the other guys say and check the primer bulb and lines first and if that all looks good put it on the muffs and crank it over the fuel pump should draw it up and run it iam sure it will start and the bulb will be firm .As i said before i had a similar issue with mine on my first trip out and couldn't pump it up like i use to on my other boats that had remote tanks but after talking to the dealer he said just kick it in the guts and thats what iv been doing for 4 yrs without a problem ,also once underway my bulb was always firm but i dont even bother touching it now ........ P.S have you tried to start it at all...matt

keen_angler
18-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Just as i imagined i guess you have a canister filter system as well if thats the case do what the other guys say and check the primer bulb and lines first and if that all looks good put it on the muffs and crank it over the fuel pump should draw it up and run it iam sure it will start and the bulb will be firm .As i said before i had a similar issue with mine on my first trip out and couldn't pump it up like i use to on my other boats that had remote tanks but after talking to the dealer he said just kick it in the guts and thats what iv been doing for 4 yrs without a problem ,also once underway my bulb was always firm but i dont even bother touching it now ........ P.S have you tried to start it at all...matt

Have tried starting it many times, I can see the fuel coming up the line when I squeeze the primer bulb and some fuel gets to the motor, but as soon as I stop squeezing the fuel returns. I then start with no problems and once the fuel out of the line in front of the primer bulb gets used up it turns off.

I removed the fuel line and connected the primer bulb directly and it seems to pull up fuel and when I block the end off the fuel stays in the hose.

I have replace the primer bulb now and my last option is to replace the fuel/water seperator filter, fingers crossed.

finga
18-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Here's hoping it's only an air lock :)

STUIE63
18-12-2007, 08:24 AM
A mate of mine got a new boat and test ran it at the shop on a buddy tank all was good. he then fueled the underfloor tank and we went fishing the next day he started the motor it ran for two minutes and died no fuel he couldn't pump it up . after checking the arrow was the right way .i pulled the primer out of my boat put it in his boat no problems . started blowing though the primer and it was assembled back to front to the arrow and fuel would flow back to the tank.put it in my boat with the arrow pointing to the fuel tank worked a treat for the next 18 months till i sold the boat .I told the new owner and gave him a new primer don't know if he ever changesd it .

the moral of the story is take the primer out you should be able to blow through one way and not the other .
Stuie

brrbear
18-12-2007, 06:28 PM
sounds like the tank is not breathing.
if it is a under floor tank check the breather pipe for blockages.
to test if this is the problem leave the filler cap off and see if the problem still exists.
wasps can nest in the breather and block them.

keen_angler
18-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I would like to THANK everyone very much for their input everything that everyone was say was true, I have fixed the problems.

1. Breather had fuel it which was causing a blockege
2. the fuel/water separator also had a leak in it and was dirty

I cleaned out the breather and replaced the fuel/water separator and all is working well using the muffs, hopefully will work well when I get on the water.

Once again THANK YOU VERY MUCH everyone, it is amazing how helpful this site is.

:) :)