PDA

View Full Version : fishing licenses in queensland

crowser
16-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,

just wonderin if it was needed to hav fishing licenses in queensland for fishing, open ocean or estuary?

cheers

ffejsmada
16-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

just wonderin if it was needed to hav fishing licenses in queensland for fishing, open ocean or estuary?

cheers

Crowser, what do you mean?

Are you from a state other than Qld? If so, no you don't need a license to fish ocean or estuary. Stocked impoundments you do.

Or do you mean, do we need to have fishing licenses for salt water in Qld???
If that is the question, no no no, we don't!

Jeff.

catfishkid
16-12-2007, 04:41 PM
IF and only IF the monies collected were put back into infrastructure and other means to help better fishing then I find a licence acceptable,however I dont believe for a moment that this would happen.
Government has a proven track record of taking our money and not giving anything back in return(Boat rego is a classic,how many new boat ramps have been built as compared to the money taken).
So I guess a saltwater fishing licence would be nothing more than a revenue raising exercise with little or no benefit returned to the people who fork out their hard earned for it..

Craig

robersl
16-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Fresh water licence needed only in qld at this stage

shane

gawby
16-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Give it time and this thieving Qld Government will be ripping us off for a license. Just wait and see.

Graeme

dasher
16-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Your return for your licence would be about 18%..you decide.

mik01
16-12-2007, 09:20 PM
its been shown in nsw that the license money disappears very quickly. just like all politicians - sell it as a 'sustainable fish restocking levy' or whatever, then take the money and use it for a payrise...

NO THANKS

Flattie Assassin
17-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I refuse to ever pay!! EVER!!! won't happen.

banshee
17-12-2007, 03:04 PM
its been shown in nsw that the license money disappears very quickly. just like all politicians - sell it as a 'sustainable fish restocking levy' or whatever, then take the money and use it for a payrise...

NO THANKS

Mate can you point me to the source that backs your claims.

mik01
17-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Mate can you point me to the source that backs your claims.

read the report mate
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/149601/trust-fund-summaries-05-06.pdf

cutting spending on actual fishing related programmes to make up for the over spending on meetings, fisheries officers, and admin costs. the trust executive officer gets paid $141k per year and even managed to overspend on that!

of course many worthwhile projects undertaken and of course money put back into the fishing community, but a lot of the money disappears into 'meetings' and admin expenditure that run over budget.

funny how NONE of the fishing expenses seemed to go over budget. anyone can 'creatively' account to show that one item ran 'just on budget' to make up for severe overexpenditure in other areas.

robersl
17-12-2007, 07:37 PM
not sure if it is true but kids fish for free i have heard in nsw and if you are teaching the kids to fish you do not need a licence not sure if it is right or not

shane

banshee
17-12-2007, 10:06 PM
read the report mate
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/149601/trust-fund-summaries-05-06.pdf

cutting spending on actual fishing related programmes to make up for the over spending on meetings, fisheries officers, and admin costs. the trust executive officer gets paid $141k per year and even managed to overspend on that!

of course many worthwhile projects undertaken and of course money put back into the fishing community, but a lot of the money disappears into 'meetings' and admin expenditure that run over budget.

funny how NONE of the fishing expenses seemed to go over budget. anyone can 'creatively' account to show that one item ran 'just on budget' to make up for severe overexpenditure in other areas.

To read that and see what has been achieved far outways the salaryand $45,000 out of $4.6 mill that was spent on meetings (which by the way still appears to come in under the 10% admin expenditure cap),Keep in mind that the committee is made up of elected members (anglers) and not polies, each of which has to be transported from all over the state,fed and housed for the duration of four meetings a year.Mate I'm all for the license in NSW,it has allowed the small club I'm part of to put over 70,000 bass fingerlings into the Richmond since it's inception,not to mention the pressure it has taken and will continue to take off the fishery through commercial buy backs.What you blokes do up there is up to yourselves,but down here the fishery has coped a floging over the years and I personaly see the license as a positive move.

As for the kids fishing,mate I would get a license ($6 for three days or if your stay is longer $12 a month), the local fisheries officer may show some discetion but the flying squad would almost certainly sting you for $220.

mik01
17-12-2007, 10:32 PM
To read that and see what has been achieved far outways the salaryand $45,000 out of $4.6 mill that was spent on meetings (which by the way still appears to come in under the 10% admin expenditure cap),Keep in mind that the committee is made up of elected members (anglers) and not polies, each of which has to be transported from all over the state,fed and housed for the duration of four meetings a year.Mate I'm all for the license in NSW,it has allowed the small club I'm part of to put over 70,000 bass fingerlings into the Richmond since it's inception,not to mention the pressure it has taken and will continue to take off the fishery through commercial buy backs.What you blokes do up there is up to yourselves,but down here the fishery has coped a floging over the years and I personaly see the license as a positive move.

As for the kids fishing,mate I would get a license ($6 for three days or if your stay is longer $12 a month), the local fisheries officer may show some discetion but the flying squad would almost certainly sting you for $220.

what about the $886,000 admin expenditure that went over budget? seems to be more than 10% to me. like I said - some good work has been done, no question but seems the discretionary expenses seem to go over budget whilst the direct fishing related expenses are under expensed. good for your club that you got a grant.

polky
18-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Banshee glad the license thing works in NSW, but as far as I,am concerened it can stay in NSW.

mik01
19-12-2007, 07:18 AM
plus the funding decisions are made by the Minister, so the elected members can only make recommendations on where the money is spent. If the greens (for example) get in the ear of the Minister (as we have seen can easily happen) it is easy to see funds directed towards ill thought out 'causes' rather than reinvested in fishing.

we will fight any moves in Qld to introduce such a scheme

banshee
19-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Like I said,if your happy with the way the govt does things up there and your fishery is in good order with an adequate infrastructure (Ramps,covered stainless cleaning tables etc) than you are doing fine,unfortunately down here things were not so good and the distribution of fee money has greatly improved things.It was only about six months ago that the minister expresed the desire to have NSW estuaries free of commercial activity in the next decade.

Matt_Campbell
19-12-2007, 10:34 AM
This has been covered before on Ausfish - its difficult to get a consensus among members about whether a rec licence is a good idea. My own feelings are that it would be a good idea. The revenue generated (if and only if all revenues were put back into rec fishing) would see more facilities and research for rec fishing. Commercial fishers could be given adequate compensation to leave estuaries and other juvenile habitat alone. There is practically no research on rec fish in Qld because no-one will pay for it - a licence does this (Imagine if we had actual bone fide evidence that marine parks don't do what they are supposed to - there'd be no worries about the imminent MB marine park). Not to mention that the Govt would have a better idea about how many people actually fish, giving the rec fishing movement a little more sting around election time. Just my 2 cents.
Matt C