How hard can you turn before you should get worried
are there any videos of a cat turning
Thanks
Mike

Blackened
15-12-2007, 03:23 PM
G'day

EVERY cat is different.

I have personally been in one that at 28ish kts did a full lock, other than the traditional cat outside lean, it was totally safe

But with your cat, if you have little experience driving them, and driving them properly, start with that first

Dave

Noelm
15-12-2007, 03:47 PM
it depends on why you want to turn quick, if it is 'just for kicks" then slow down the inside Motor or speed up the outside, if it is an emergency, who cares?? just do it!

mlaagtho
15-12-2007, 03:59 PM
After having a mono hull when turning the cat it leans the out. At this time I do not know how much turn is to much. Will it take a lot to get into trouble

saurian
15-12-2007, 04:30 PM
mlaagtho, mine is really good in a straight line, but when it comes to turns i call them arcs, big long arcs.
Feels like your on your side for an eternity then up she straightens.
You will know when you have gone to far, she will probably broach or dig in on the outside of the turn .
You'll get the hang of the thing just add hours.lol.....
Good fun learning but...
Ta

Finnatical
15-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Mike, I also own a KC2400 and have had it for about 8 months now.

Like Saurian says it is more of an arc than a turn. Obviously at low speed around the marina you wont beat them for their ability to turn on the spot using the motors (I don't use the wheel when docking etc as they are just so responsive to the motors).

When turning at speed it is a bit disconcerting coming from a mono background. That being said, my wife who doesn't have much boating experience doesn't notice it leaning out in the turn as she says that is what cars do so it feels normal to her.

I have been in a 2400 turned very sharply at what i would call quite high speed (can't tell you what speed as i was too busy hanging on). The boat was driven by one of the KC boys who knew what he was doing and it was impressive to say the least. The boat hits a point in the lean and then just stays at that level and doesn't lean any further out. Obviously if you do something stupid in rough conditions like try a full lock turn at high speed there might be serious conseqences but that would the case in any boat.

The biggest tip I was given to turn the boat without so much lean is to trim the outside motor down which causes the boat to gently lean in during the turn. (ie trim in the port motor in when turning right, and once you staighten up you then trim the boat to level again). As you are probably aware the motors trim their respective bows laterally (the port motor trim affects the starboard bow and vice versa) so trimming in the port motor when turning to the right drops the starboard bow and the boats leans into the turn.

I generally find this to be too much hassle so just turn the wheel, let it lean out and hang on - you do get used to it very quickly. Just make sure the motors aren't trimmed out too much as one will cavitate during the turn.

Hope this helps mate,
Jason

FNQCairns
15-12-2007, 07:20 PM
So what happens when at 25knots something pops up (anything) and requires a very fast dodge to miss it?? Is it just not going to happen? I had this last trip in my mono (it's pretty nimble) and the item almost scraped the side despite my best effort.

cheers fnq

saurian
15-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Line up the gap in the middle , and miss it fnq, lol....
More like wrench it hard and get flung as a hull grips in hard or just hit it....
Ta

FNQCairns
15-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Saurian, sounds a bit like driving a skinny jacked up 4wd V a lower slung wide one or a car.

cheers fnq

mlaagtho
16-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the info
I will have to take it easy to begin with
Good fishing
Mike

insideout
16-12-2007, 04:39 PM
mike ,i to have a kevlacat 2400 and know what you are talking about.Takes alittle to get used to but you will get there !! also if you are one side too heavy, say the passenger side (port) is low in the water, trim your passenger side down,or the drivers side up.After a while, you will do it automaticly without thinking. The kevlacats are trim sensitive, and i believe its because of the fine entry hulls. But make sure you let everybody know before you turn it too hard , one way or the other!! Welcome to the cat club..