PDA

View Full Version : First-Aid Kits for Fishing, Boating & Beach

seatime
14-12-2007, 06:48 PM
G'day, I thought I'd make some suggestions for stocking a first-aid kit for fishing, boating and general outdoor use.
The sky can be the limit with first-aid gear and we'll try to keep it with in reason and budget, with suggestions from other Ausfishers.

Most fisho's will carry pliers, bent nose or other, and side cutters or similar for removing hooks from fish, these will do the job on humans too.

Antiseptic creams and lotions aren't needed, depending on the type they can kill good bacteria as well as bad, burn blood vessels, nerve endings and can slow healing.

Water proof container to store gear, not the soft zip-up bag type.
Saline and/or sterile water ampoule's are essential for cleaning wounds before dressing.
Triangular bandages X 4 at least - these can be used as pad dressings, bandages and slings.
Standard crepe bandages in medium X 2 & large X 2 for bandaging bleeding wounds.
Large strong elastic crepe bandages 10-15cm red-brown coloured ones for Pressure Immobilisation Bandaging X 2.
Sterile non-adherent dressings lg X 2, md X 2, these can be used for all bleeding wounds including burns and cut to size where needed.
Strong stainless steel scissors capable of cutting denim, heavy cotton and similar clothing.
Tweezers.
Water proof tape.It's also a good idea to have a face shield for performing CPR (mouth to mouth) and gloves to protect against infection when administering first-aid.

Chemical ice packs are handy for blue-bottle stings.
Vinegar is used for Box and Irukanji jelly fish stings.
Hot fluids for all fish stings like Stone Fish, Catfish, Happy Moments, Stingrays, Crown-of-Thorns Starfish.If you're travelling in the outback a Pressure Immobilisation Bandage is used for all snake bites. Start from the bite site, and bandage firmly all the way along the limb. If there are any signs of an allergic reaction to any bite or sting (bees & wasps), use the same pressure immobilisation bandage.

regards

Flattie Assassin
14-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I carry a first aid, dry sack kit in my yak. Always pays to be prepared on the water. :-*

Sea-Dog
14-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Gelsec, you can also get chemical Hot-Packs for nasties. They are probably easier to use than most liquids and most likely safer too.

I have some that heat up to 43C in about 20-30 seconds.

Hot enough to break down some of the proteins in the venom, but not hot enough to cause burns.

Perhaps a nice sharp scalpel would be handy too.

jtpython
14-12-2007, 07:55 PM
12 pack of Jimbeam or rum cans are to help ease the pain on the long journy home
(memories of happy moment spines deep embeded into my big toe bone)
Would have been super handy.
Them Chemical heat packs sound the go Sea-dog i'll be sure to chase them up
JT

manchild
14-12-2007, 07:57 PM
You all forgetting gaffer tape,standard medical issue.
George

polky
14-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Gelsac good topic, I take what I think is the right equipment, but I have no doubt others have gear that they found handy in certian circumstances, which I never though of. Polky.

Flattie Assassin
14-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Gelsec, you can also get chemical Hot-Packs for nasties. They are probably easier to use than most liquids and most likely safer too.

I have some that heat up to 43C in about 20-30 seconds.

Hot enough to break down some of the proteins in the venom, but not hot enough to cause burns.

Perhaps a nice sharp scalpel would be handy too.

How long does the heat last? Be a good option staying warm in winter with a kayak.

Ausfish
14-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Don't forget Tea Tree Oil, First Aid Kit in a bottle.

Flattie Assassin
14-12-2007, 09:42 PM
12 pack of Jimbeam or rum cans are to help ease the pain on the long journy home
(memories of happy moment spines deep embeded into my big toe bone)

You've obviously had excellent training. ::) Thats sound advice. :cheesy:

Yes this is what we want to see more of on the water.

:helpa:

Gazza.Boyne
14-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Good thread Gelsec,

Think i'll check the first aid kit in the morning.

I like the idea of the chemical Heat Packs Sea-Dog.

Cheers Gazza

Sea-Dog
14-12-2007, 10:31 PM
How long does the heat last? Be a good option staying warm in winter with a kayak.

Flattie Assassin

They stay full heat for about 4 - 5 minutes, then cool off fully after about 10 minutes. (estimated from when I tried one at work one day)

I put one onto the top of my back between shoulder blades, and it was uncomfortably hot. On the outside of the T-shirt it was just nice and toasty warm.

I picked up about 6 boxes of hot, and 6 boxes of cold packs when they were on special at the Reject shop a few months back.

They were $2 for each box of two. :D

I don't know if they still carry them though.

I did see similar packs at the Brissie boatshow this year - much more expensive though. :(

Oh Gee
14-12-2007, 10:50 PM
nurofen...berocca...spare sunnies

goddy100
15-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Band aids, small needle for splinters, aspro or similar and some salt tablets (for dehydration, the ones you dissolve in water).
Don't forget the small injuries as most first aid kits are great if you loose a limb, but have nothing for small cuts!!
Goddy

FNQCairns
15-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Some vinegar can be a good inclusion, depending somewhat on the all round use of the boat.

cheers fnq

seatime
15-12-2007, 09:07 AM
A couple of points;

The hot packs are a good idea, it's difficult to carry the means to make available hot fluids for immersing a stung body part, usually a foot or hand. The hot pack pressed against a wet cloth is a fair substitute considering what's available when out boating.
Improvisation will often be needed when administering first-aid.

A good quality water proof tape, along with scissors and sterile dressing pads can be used for all sizes of injuries, large and small.

Be careful with Aspirin and Paracetamol being available in first-aid kits, there can be a duty of care issue if 'drugs' are freely available. There has been cases of overdose and organ damage from people able to access Paracetamol at will. Just something to keep in mind.

It looks like a hot summer has arrived, keep up the fluids (alcohol is a diuretic), wear sunscreen with repeat applications and a hat.

While pissing on your mates is funny it isn't a treatment for bites & stings;) ;D

happy xmas :)

Luc
15-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Hi FA,

A mate of mine uses 2 when winter fishing for bream at night.

He puts one in each pocket of his jacket so he keeps warm and can easily warm up his hands.

When he get home, he boils them up to reverse the chemical reaction so they're ready for re-use.

Luc

cqfreshie
15-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Fantastic topic guys. First Aid should be in the mind of all boaties .... and vehicle drivers.

Just a few little things to consider.

For adequate pressure imobilisation on an adult leg you need up to 6 x 10cm bandages, so the two found in most kits wont hack it.

The chemical heat packs and cold packs are a good idea (at least 2 of each), as we don't always have a kettle of hot water, or an esky full of ice with us.

You may need up to 5 litres of vinegar to treat a box jelly evenomation. Plenty for the fish and chip dressing if you have left overs.

Don't admnister ANY medication (eg paracetamol or aspirin) to ANY person. Do you know how to treat a reaction, to just these two, let alone any other medication? Any medication in your kit should only be your own.... for your use only.

Cheers

trueblue
15-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Band aids, small needle for splinters, aspro or similar and some salt tablets (for dehydration, the ones you dissolve in water).
Don't forget the small injuries as most first aid kits are great if you loose a limb, but have nothing for small cuts!!
Goddy

Sorry to break it to you but:

Almost all first aid kits carried by civilians are woefully under supplied to deal with major trauma such as losing a limb or significant lacerations / incisions (cuts). You will require lots of very large sized gauze pads for dealing with a major injury like that, and then you need plenty to to wrap it with for pressure. For example, If a person is hit by a prop in 3 or 4 places you would be amazed at just how quickly you run out of bandages from even a well stocked first aid kit, and you start tearing up shirts and the like for added pads. Try getting pressure wraps to go around concurrent injuries on the thigh, torso and shoulder and think how far your supplies will last.

A good thing to do there for your personal first aid kit for cars and boats at bugger all expense is to oversupply your first aid kit with sterilized and sealed triangular bandages as they can be used likea large compress gauze as well as for many other uses. (10 - 12 triangle bandages - they take up no real space in a kit and give you heaps of options). Then add a roll of duct tape... Might sound silly, but you just can't carry enough gauze bandage rolls in a normal first aid kit to do the wrapping required on injuries as described above. But with the extra triangle bandages you can get gauze pads over the wounds that will promote blood clotting which is what you want to stop bleeding, then wrap with duct tape for pressure.

Tip: If you put a gauze pad or a folded triangle bandage over a cut and hold pressure and it keeps bleeding - do not remove that pad - just add another one on top of the first, and keep applying presssure. Never remove anything that has been applied to a serious cut - removal will only set you back to square 1 with the bleeding by removing any clotting that had begun. Let the hospital take everything off.

Also, salt is not a good treatment for dehydration. Rehydration with water is the best treatment for dehydration. If you want to supplement the water, get special powdered packs from the chemist that contain a perfect balance of electrolytes and some special mineral salts. Standard salt tablets are not good.

And, do a recognised Senior First Aid or Advance First Aid course.

Hats off to Gelsec for getting people thinking about this topic.

Cheers

Mick

rockfisho
16-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I always carry a small one when i go fishing off the rocks, mainly for cuts etc.

Owen

TonyM
16-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Great topic!

I've always felt my first aid kit was in need of an update - I've got a shopping list together now! (including a refresher First Aid course!)

The sidecutters mentioned above (or small bolt cutters) are definately a smart idea for lure chuckers - A mate managed to save me from considerable pain by using them to cut through an Owner treble I managed to get through my hand (with a Barra attached to the other treble)

I've always carried a small pair of bolt cutters in the boat since then (Thanks again Paul!)

Cheers
Tony