PDA

View Full Version : Furuno -620 false depth readings

tropicrows
14-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I can be cruising along in water deeper then a few meters when suddenly the depth on the sounder changes so something around 1 meter. I have to stop (come off plane), and wait until the sounder to correct itself, and then continue on my way.

FNQCairns
14-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Do you loose a good bottom reading at the same time? All sounders when they loose bottom will do much the same, some flash some stay at the last reading etc. If running often in shallow water and fast sometimes a bit more tilt forward helps.

I used to run around without a sounder all the time, never bothered me, today if I loose bottom I slow down to get it again, you reminded me I need to adjust the transducer again before then next trip.

cheers fnq

bluefin59
14-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes i used to have a similar problem but only when the boat was trimmed right out and i was doing inexcess of 24knots ,what i did is revert to manual and turned the gain up a little and now no problem i now run on manual gain all the time .....matt

tropicrows
14-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I am still learning how to use the thing, and have it set on auto most of the time. I will try it on manual with a higher gain.

littlejim
16-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Have you got the transducer adjusted to the angle Furuno recommend? I had no trouble with my GME, but the Lowrance was very sensitive to the transducer angle changing from a couple of degrees up at the front. (If I bumped it or had it too loose, so the water drag pushed it up at the back.)