PDA

View Full Version : Cool fish photos

Nic
14-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Just a little call out there to people who take their fish photos at home... if you're able, you should really take the photos on the water! Obviously not if it will give your spot x away, or if you're fishing on your own, or want to let the billy lids have a photo with the fish, but otherwise your photos will look immeasurably better.

Obviously there are some provisos; the sun should ideally be shining from behind the photographer's shoulder, or if it's overhead you'll need the fill flash to cut out the shadow from the angler's hat, etc. And feisty fish need to be subdued one way or another (if you plan to eat them, of course). But on the whole, lit-up fish photos on the water really capture the excitement of the day, and magazine editors love those sort of pics too.

Yeah, it's hard when you're on a hot bite, but taking a few quick snaps is worth it I reckon!

Nic
14-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh, and if you're thinking my avatar photo isn't that crash hot (true), it's because the camera batteries died and we had to use my phone. ::)

jackson4300
14-12-2007, 03:02 PM
yea i agree with that (not sure about all the sun positioning , etc).
the fish always look better when they have just been caught.
they dont have that im a frozen fish with rigamortis look :P

Nic
14-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Too right Jackson! With regard to the sun position etc., just try asking the editor of your favourite fishing mag -- they should be happy to give you a couple of tips. If you follow their advice you could even get paid to have your shot on the cover, provided your camera is good enough (and they should be able to tell you that as well).

Peter4
14-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Nic,

Have you got a few examples you could post or put into a gallery.

Do you have some photographic experience? I rely on my son to take the pics but he is still learning (as am I).

We get some great shots but some poor ones too - mostly mine!

Pete

kingtin
14-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Unless the day is overcast, Qld sun pretty much demands fill in flash for all pics. Next time you watch the news on tv, take note of all the pros firing off flash in full sunlight.

kev

SeaSaw
14-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Great advice Nic.

I'd get you to come out and take some photos for me, maybe even let you catch a fish or two ;D but I'm sure your editor would not approve of fraternising with the opposition. :-X;D;D;D

Cheers,

Mark

Flattie Assassin
14-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Great advice Nic.

I'd get you to come out and take some photos for me

/Nods. Yes, yes i'm sure you would. And who could blame ya. ;)

SeaSaw
14-12-2007, 09:51 PM
/Nods. Yes, yes i'm sure you would. And who could blame ya. ;)

LOL, worth a shot .... but don't tell Dave ;D ..... nah he won't read this i hope

Alchemy
14-12-2007, 10:33 PM
::)
LOL, worth a shot .... but don't tell Dave ;D ..... nah he won't read this i hope

just watching quietly from the sidelines..................... :rifle:

;)

Flattie Assassin
14-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Nic,

Pete

Yes have you Nic? I would also like to see some, ahh, examples. :o

Strictly to enhance my photography skills. Obviously. :-X ::)

SeaSaw
15-12-2007, 08:47 PM
::)

just watching quietly from the sidelines..................... :rifle:

;)

Ummm, hi Dave, how ya going. :-[ Just trying to get the best possible crew together for the Nannyfest :P;) honest ;D

Mark

Nic
16-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Haha... OK, back to the topic... ::)

Pete, if you're after some fish photography tips I recommend visiting this site:
www.tackletour.com/reviewtakinggoodpicspg2.html (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtakinggoodpicspg2.html)

And if you're really serious you can try this one:
www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/matthews_phototips.aspx (http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/matthews_phototips.aspx)

Those guys know their onions, whereas I know only the basic stuff.

Cheers!

Nic

Nic,

Do you have some photographic experience? I rely on my son to take the pics but he is still learning (as am I).

We get some great shots but some poor ones too - mostly mine!

Pete

steve99
28-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Nic. Photograhy is something most fisherman do badly. I know from personal experience. Im a keen photographer, but unfortuneatly over the years all my fishing buddies have been s..t photographers that could take a decent photo if thier life depended on it. Of course,I agree with what you say about sun position and fill flash but in reality taking half decent photos only happens after years of experience and 1000s of photos. cheers99 PS. Have you ever been on the cover of a fishing mag?

Nic
29-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello Steve. I think you'd be surprised where photography talent shows up -- the Taylor brothers are a case in point (you can see their work in CATCH and various other titles). When we first saw their submissions we couldn't believe that two guys so young could take such good photos!

For most of us though, as you said, it takes some time to learn. I haven't taken a cover shot -- until recently I haven't had a camera good enough -- but I'm not trying to teach people how. I'm just saying that 'lit up fish on the boat' shots look better than 'dead fish at home' shots.

And if people do want to try their hand at covers, as I said, editors are typically happy to tell them how to go about it, and let them know if their camera is suitable etc. Why? Because the more anglers an editor has taking potential cover shots for him, the more choice he has each month when he has to pick a cover. Most people who have had their photos on the cover aren't pros, they're just anglers like the rest of us. :)

mangomick
30-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah but Nic when you take their photos while they are still alive they pull funny faces and poke their tongues out.
Think its best to wait till I get home so I can make them more presentable and that way the Mrs cant out fish me while I'm grabbing the camera.:D
Mangomick

BenatCoffs
30-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Also want to make sure the fish looks good and clean. A shot of a fish being held up with a massive gaff wound and blood everywhere doesn't make a good pic...

Nic
30-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Also want to make sure the fish looks good and clean. A shot of a fish being held up with a massive gaff wound and blood everywhere doesn't make a good pic...

True... ditto for a protruding swimbladder!

Steve B
30-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Great topic nic.

I used to work in a tackle shop where people could submit photos and we would put them in the local newspaper each week.

We had our 'top 10 worst' pics that were disgracefull. The winner was a bloke who had a 30+ kg murra cod , gutted, hanging from his clothes line and he is shaping up with his fists like a boxer to it!!

Another one was 2 X big murray cod, gutted again, in a wheel barrow. Quality stuff.

Leanne Payne did an article a few years back in BnB or QFM (cant remember) which was excellent. It was about taking quality pics. If leanne is reading this she might be able to post sections of the article.I still remember one pic sh put in it of a bloke crouched down in footy shorts holding a big mud crab. Only problem the old jatz crackers were hanging out!!

cheers steve

steve99
30-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Like i said before taking quality photos comes with experience, and photographing a fish immediately after its caught looks a hell of a lot better than ones taken at home 6 hours later ( with hills hoist in background ) Truth is, most fish lose colour quickly after capture,forget about the blood that washes off in 2 seconds. Without a doudt the best photos of wahoo and dolphinfish are taken just after capture. 99

mangomick
30-12-2007, 04:02 PM
True... ditto for a protruding swimbladder!

my point exactly. If I'd waited until I got home I would have poked them back in and the photo would have looked half presentable.

steve99
30-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Poke what back in? Air bladders deflate just like a balloon. Do you own a knife ?

gaintsquid
30-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Golden and diamond Trevally look nice just after capture.

Reefmaster
31-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Good topic Nic
As you said you don't need to be a pro to get nice pics but just some simple ideas will make for some great shots which can be remembered forever. I'm sure there's many out there who couldn't give a rats about a cover shot but do yourself a favour and really try better your photography skills so you can really appreciate those great fish you have caught for many years to come.

I don't believe I know much about photography at all but I have had 7 front cover shots now so it shows that anyone can do it. Sure there's critera to make a cover shot which at times seems somewhat impossible but by taking your time and really thinking about lighting, position, presentation, filling the frame etc will get the rewards that make that trip ever better for a long time after.

I always use a flash in every pic which highlights the colour of the fish and reduces shadows on the person (sometimes). The most important part for me is to take 5-10 photos of each fish trying various positions and you tend to find one pic will come out looking fantastic compared to the others. Taking your time trying different things can really get the crew winging when their holding a good fish up and the amount of abuse I get when taking photos drives me crazy but I'm sure they agree it's worth it in the end. Nic ask foxy he will winge for hours about how long it takes. lol

Leanne's article on photography in BushnBeach years ago was very popular and maybe if Leanne see's this she can post for all to see. Check out the latest BushnBeach front cover shot which Leanne has taken. It's an absolute cracker clear photo of Wayne young with a monster whiting.

Regards,
Greg

disorderly
31-12-2007, 05:11 PM
While I agree that "on the water shots"look great,I actually go out to catch fish and not just to stuff around posing with them.
It also happens that I personally dont look at my best when I'm out fishing for a day or 2 all covered with blood and guts,a head that looks like a pineapple at the best of times and a glare(or so I'm told )that can scare small children and old ladies.
I think it's best if I just stick with the old esky shot.

Scott

imnotoriginal
31-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Good topic, I've been getting more interested in this as well. Those were handy articles. Must say I much prefer the on the water shot. A nice photo, particularly of a large or colourful fish is always a great reminder of the day. Not to mention the best way of getting me smiling on camera!
Joel

mangomick
31-12-2007, 06:05 PM
While I agree that "on the water shots"look great,I actually go out to catch fish and not just to stuff around posing with them.
It also happens that I personally dont look at my best when I'm out fishing for a day or 2 all covered with blood and guts,a head that looks like a pineapple at the best of times and a glare(or so I'm told )that can scare small children and old ladies.
I think it's best if I just stick with the old esky shot.

Scott

Finally, Someone who thinks like me. And thats a worry. :-/
I dont mean to be sexist but Nics view is purely feminine. I personally wouldnt bother posting photos other than to give other local fishos an idea of the quality of fish taken from various locations. I do like to get a photo of the total catch for future reference with time, date and location. Taking them on the water only slows down the action and gives the line less time in the drink. Fisherman first and photographer somewhere well down the list.:-*
Hey Scott with that description we may be twin brothers :D

mangomick
31-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Poke what back in? Air bladders deflate just like a balloon. Do you own a knife ?
Yeah I do own a knife,Thats what I use for skinning and filleting. The fish dont really care whether their swim bladder is hanging out of their mouth while I'm slicing their sides off. If they do they've never mentioned it::)

Bad_Company
31-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi Nic. Photograhy is something most fisherman do badly. I know from personal experience. Im a keen photographer, but unfortuneatly over the years all my fishing buddies have been s..t photographers that could take a decent photo if thier life depended on it. Of course,I agree with what you say about sun position and fill flash but in reality taking half decent photos only happens after years of experience and 1000s of photos. cheers99 PS. Have you ever been on the cover of a fishing mag?

OH MY GOD!! Steve99... IS THAT YOU?!

Are you the *GURU* who writes and gets front covers in 'Sporting Shooter?'

Is that YOUR mug shot on the front cover with the old grunter between your legs???

I think the fish photos you have on your profile have come out well?!!!

Just because you make Rex Hunt and Lance Wittnall look like princes...
I wonder what Bronson thinks of your comment about his Barramundi shot? ::)

Regards,

The Skipper and photographer of your photos

;)

PinHead
31-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Most photos on the covers of fishing mags are obviously taken by amateurs...there is nothing professional about any of them but that is not supposed to be what they are for...they are usually of a great fish caught by someone and on the cover to promote sales of the mag...would need a 100' boat for a pro to set up to take pics properly.

steve99
01-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Nearly all front covers on fishing mags are taken by amateurs, in most instances by a keen fisho willing to put in extra effort into getting a great shot. Of course having the right equipment and knowing how to use it helps.

In the past I have always spent a few minutes (as a lot of fishos do) snapping a heap of photos of a particularly good fish. As reef master mentioned in his post, people whinge and moan about holding up a heavy fish, but ultimately are happy to see themselves in a photo with their prize catch.

At the end of the day all those fishos who complained about having their photos taken will look back with fondness and say "great shot", even though when it was taken it was a pain in the butt.

land-lubber
02-01-2008, 08:36 PM
At the end of the day, there are ppl that arent concerned with quality photos, they are just more interested the fishing and a photo is an afterthought to the day, aimed at posting a report on the internet or to just share amoungst friends. there is absolutely nothing wrong with these photos if that is all the person want out of it.
on the other hand there are the ppl that like to have individual fish shots that are well composed and do justice to both the fish and the angler. These are the photos of choice for the publication side of things and this is a good thing. it promotes a sense of professionalism in the sport.
i personally love photography and do a little bit of portrait photography on the side as a hobby, but some days i just want to fish :) . When i do take the camera with me, i try to spend the extra couple of minutes in getting a good shot especially of notable fish (am slowly accumulating pics for a mag article).
some1 in the post mentioned about all mag photography being amatures taking photos and not being particularly proffesional images. In some cases this is the case, and good on em for getting publised i say. but there are many professional fishing photographers who go along on trips to do nothing but photography and the results are outstanding, again, hats off to these guys as well, it must be hard not to grab a rod at times :) .
all i am trying to say is, there is a place for both forms of photos, and it is up to u how much time and effort (and money) u want to put into it. on my part i love seeing a good esky shot at times and at others a nice individual fish photo is great to view as well, so keep those shutters clicking i say :)
ill add a couple of my lame attempts for some objective discussion as well.