PDA

View Full Version : Extending a boat

on-one
14-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Every now and then when looking through boatpoint I've noticed production fiberglass boats that have been extended, what's involved in this?

I've got a 26ft fiberglass displacement boat and my only real complaint is that the cockpit is a bit small. Is extending the boat by 3 or 4 feet possible and if it is what sort of money would be required to do it properly?

Noelm
14-12-2007, 10:40 AM
not too many are actually extended, but may be the same Boat but extended to make a bigger Boat from the same original mold, BUT it has been done, in Steel it is fairly easy, as is Alloy, but glass is a bit harder, but still possible, and the outcome could be a skinny Boat that performs badly, and the cost may outweigh buying a bigger one anyway!

on-one
14-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I think the proportions would work as the boat's a bit tall and fat for its length and the last of them were 29ft which was all just length added to the cockpit.

Was just wondering how difficult it is as I'll be getting the boat painted in the next few years and if 10k could have it extended at the same time it might be worth considering.

Noelm
14-12-2007, 12:30 PM
not too sure about the cost, and you must also remember that the prop (if inboard shaft drive) will no longer be at the rear, or if sterndrive, then the motors and stuff will need to be moved as well, that in itself will be a big cost!

Hebb
14-12-2007, 06:56 PM
It is possible but you will probably find that a shipwright will keep the original transom in position and want to extend onto that. You may end up with a bigger waterline but I would reckon that cockpit/cabin space would stay the same as your original transom/stern wall would still be there. That is the moulded strength of your boat. Hull extensions are usually for the purpose of podding a motor and adding flotation for stern heavy rigs. As Noelm said if you have a sterndrive excpect big dollars for moving and mounting engine/driveshaft to new position. Would recomend you talk to qualified shipwright for this style of work and that will cost ya!
Hebb