PDA

View Full Version : dual battery or generator

fishplukka
14-12-2007, 06:26 AM
iv just purchased a 60 lt12v 240v eva cool fridge freezer and was weighing up whether to go with a dual battery or a generator i only go camping for 2 to 3 days at a time ! i drive navara dual cab any thoughts ?:-/

Tailortaker
14-12-2007, 04:44 PM
It deoends on where you want to go camping as national parks like Bribie beach do not allow generators to be used.
Cheers TT

shano
14-12-2007, 06:04 PM
i have the 70 ltr evacool! i use a 120AH deep cycle! but i only go camping at rainbow so i get to charge the battery at night when using the gene!

TheRealAndy
15-12-2007, 07:37 AM
I got a 60litre Waeco. I have the stx dual cab and there was no room for a second battery. Instead (and I am glad I did) I bought one of those battery boxes from bcf/supercheap/bias/anaconda that has 2 wingnuts for power, a ciggie socket and crude battery indicator and put a 105aH battery in it. The longest I have run the fridge was 2 days @ 0degC without driving and there was still heaps charge in the battery.

For the charging part, i modified the box and put an anderson plug on the side.
Supercheap have dual battery isolators for $99. I used on of these and ran extra cable for the earth connection as the supercheap kit only has a small earth strap. Wacked an anderson plug on the end and now i can pug it into the battery box. I fused it at both ends, before the anderson plug on the battery box, and before the isolator.

AT first I was going to permantly mount the battery, but I now prefer this option. I can carry the battery into the campsite for overnighters and can also run a few fluro's of it and the pump for the air bed etc.