PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird sounders any good?

joeT
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm thinking of getting a hummingbird sounder/gps combo, the HUMMINBIRD 787C2 COMBO. I haven't heard too much about the humminbird units, are they any good?

Part of the reason for the choice is that previous owner of boat had removed a humminbird unit from the boat, and left all the mounting holes on the dash.

Thanks

finga
13-12-2007, 06:27 AM
I've had a few issues with Humminbird.
Maybe I'm a bit fussy. I don't know??
One sounder wouldn't work longer then 10 minutes from brand spanking new or when it was fixed (3 times) so in the end they replaced it with another model whose scene fogged up the first trip and apparently that's normal.

But at least I found out BLA's after-sales service is good.

I'd be asking why the bloke took it out. Was it because it was crap or did he keep it.
If it's going in the boat in the picture I'd be looking else where. Somewhere like Furuno or other commercial types. Not the boys toys sounders/GPS's

joeT
13-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Finga, thanks for the reply.

It is for the boat in the pic, you're right, what was I thinking...

Previous owner took sounder/gps out to keep it, but the holes in the dash annoy me and are a constant reminder. Attached is a pic of the dash, unfortunately the mount holes for the humminbirds doesn't really match up with other brands. Any ideas on tastefully covering these holes?

BigE
13-12-2007, 06:16 PM
love my 787......... has lots of good features, would def buy another one if i changed boats. or take mine with me.

BigE
13-12-2007, 06:20 PM
nice lookin rig JoeT.... be interested in how it goes once you get it sorted

BigE

MitchCalcutt
13-12-2007, 08:00 PM
After reading a lot of threads in “electronics”, it appears that there a lot of lemons to be purchased on the Australian market. From all make’s and models, My advise to you is to get the supplier of whichever unit you buy, to set it up in front of you and turn it on and make sure it works before you leave the store.
Mitch

artesian
14-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I reckon one of those tasteful mermaid stickers would cover most of those holes :-)

finga
14-12-2007, 06:34 AM
I can think of a couple of options but what ever you do with the holes I'd be cleaning them up and painting them to stop the corrosion.
Option 1...
stickers. I have a couple of handy ones here I could post if you want.
The one with 4BC is about 145X75mm
The other is about 210X120mm.
Or sticker of your choice

Or option 2...
you'll have to bung a sounder of some description in so again I'd be cleaning and painting the holes and putting tiny rubber grommets or the like in the little holes and bung a larger grommet in the large hole and use it to run the cable out of for the new sounder if it would be mounted near where the holes are.

joeT
14-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks Finga, I think my problem was solved today in the post. Got a capacity label sticker that fits just over the holes. I will be patching up the holes but there won't be any probs with rust because the dash is fibreglass.

I've ordered a Raymarine DS500 and now just looking for a chartplotter!

finga
15-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks Finga, I think my problem was solved today in the post. Got a capacity label sticker that fits just over the holes. I will be patching up the holes but there won't be any probs with rust because the dash is fibreglass.

Excellent ;D

capn kev
15-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking of getting a hummingbird sounder/gps combo, the HUMMINBIRD 787C2 COMBO. I haven't heard too much about the humminbird units, are they any good?

Part of the reason for the choice is that previous owner of boat had removed a humminbird unit from the boat, and left all the mounting holes on the dash.

Thanks

Sounded like he liked his bird too, I have the same model you’re looking at, putting hundreds of hours on it already; I think they're a really good unit. But make sure you understand the manual thoroughly before using it because most people complain about their sounder because they don't know how to use them properly.

Capn Kev.

deadbeatloser
16-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Finga, thanks for the reply.

It is for the boat in the pic, you're right, what was I thinking...

Previous owner took sounder/gps out to keep it, but the holes in the dash annoy me and are a constant reminder. Attached is a pic of the dash, unfortunately the mount holes for the humminbirds doesn't really match up with other brands. Any ideas on tastefully covering these holes?

m8 get a nice piece of alloy or staainless sheet cut to size will cost nuthin an will spruce up your dash as well add strength for new mount posi, fasten with ss bling ;D

deadbeatloser
16-12-2007, 09:04 PM

joel good to see you bought a good sounder, cant fault mine. m8 you cant go wrong with the new garmin units, they are so easy to use even me dog can use this one.lol. checkout mr boats on ebay i got my 400series for 599. cheap cheap.

davo
21-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't like the Humminbird GPS's at all. Their functionality is pretty ordinary compared with Garmin and they tend to loose the plot when drifting or travelling slow. My mate's 787 looses GPS signal all the time while I've found it to be common with other uses. I have issues with my 777 interfereing with my Garmin GPS. The dury's out for me at this stage. It's a shame because I like the Navionics chart in the Humminbird but the Garmin is far more reliable and user friendly.

alleycat
21-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I was looking at a 717 today, any feedback on them.

MitchCalcutt
21-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I was looking at a 717 today, any feedback on them.
Hi allecat, The more people i speek to about Humminbird the more comfident i am that their software and in alot of cases hardware isn't the best it could be. They have all the best ideas but haven't been able to produce a solid reliable version yet. That of corse is my oppinion.
Mitch