PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! Crab Pot Thieves

Benny 78
12-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Just a warning to all punters that are tinking of getting a few muddies over the xmas period down at Pinkenba.

Threw 4 pots in yesterday (land based) into Boggy creek. I put two in near the bridge on Lomandra drive and two down near the footbridge where the creek widens.

Got there about 6 this morning to find only the rope was left on one of the pots near Lomandra. I was thinking it should be expected to lose one every now and then to some crumb that likes the crabs in my pot better than I do but there was more to come.

I went down to check the other 2 near the footbridge, which might I add are a bit of a hike through the mud and mangroves. On my way to the pots I found two large Islander looking concretors walking out of the mangroves with my pots.....pissed off I told them they were mine only for them to come up with a lame excuse that they thought they were theirs....bullsh*t. Anyway as it was 3 on 1 I was in no position to argue an was glad I wasn't 5 mins later or I would have lost them.

They were reported to the fisheries this morning, so keep an eye out for a white Nissan dual cab with canopy rego 339 KMV

These jerks are perpared to get ankle deep in mud to steal tatty crab pots worth $7.50 each....by the way the pots were empty, so they were only after the pots.

What sort of low prick steals crab pots.....i am sinking them from now on.>:(

BAR UP
12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey Benny78, thanks for the warning. I hope the coppers do the right thing & get these blokes. I have read plenty of posts about dont take the law into your own hands & all that gobbledeguke. I guess if they are concretors the are used to wading around in sloppy shit!!!

Benny 78
12-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah I hear you there Bar Up, was a surprise for me also catching someone red hande like that......like its not hard enough to get a feed of crabs naturally without someone else helping themselves to your crabs and pots

Cobia Kid
13-12-2007, 09:11 AM
thats my car!!!

Nah only kidding, What lowlifes, Ive never seen someone check my pots nor do I ever want to, or ELSE!! (I have a Donga in my boat)

plaztix
13-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Thats a pretty low act.

I would have followed the pricks and given them a reason to have to by 4 new tyres for the ute. pop.....oops psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst. and stolen evrything from inside the canopy. yoink ta

Then again if they have to steal $7 crab pots they've probably got nothing.

Gill
13-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Thats a pretty low act.

I would have followed the pricks and given them a reason to have to by 4 new tyres for the ute. pop.....oops psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst. and stolen evrything from inside the canopy. yoink ta

how ya think they would get new tyres for the ones you would pop.

not very nice people at all..

punter1969*
13-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Been the same for me down the pine 3 good pots in the last month whats $150 dogs

monkey76
13-12-2007, 07:02 PM
had the same experience this week in the coomera 4 pots gone!! Just out of interest are you allowed to sink your pots as someone told me it is illegal, however so is stealing pots. Maybe the only way is to sink them does anyone know the rules on this??

disorderly
13-12-2007, 07:24 PM
had the same experience this week in the coomera 4 pots gone!! Just out of interest are you allowed to sink your pots as someone told me it is illegal, however so is stealing pots. Maybe the only way is to sink them does anyone know the rules on this??

Mate , I think you can sink them though technically the rope has to be attached to something ie. a brick.
Man,what sort of crazy society is this becoming where aussies are just ripping off other aussies.
IMHO it doesnt matter whether it is a crab or a crab pot or a boat motor or a TV....its still stealing someone else's property and it show's a total disregard and lack of respect for others.
There sure are some dirtbags out there who are probably raising plenty of junior dirtbags who seem to get away with anything these days.

Ahhh...now I feel betterhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

scott

bneue4
13-12-2007, 08:56 PM

timddo
13-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Thats a pretty low act.

Mate if you pop 4 tyres, your just as bad or even worse than the crab pot theaves. If it's not your property don't touch. Call the authorities , your not the police and don't have the powers to destroy property. Honestly if i saw ya poping someone else tyres, police will be called and your not gonna move anywhere.

BLOOEY
19-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Bloody unaustralian i reckon. Pulling some one elses pots is just f&^%$d.Nevermind stealing the pot aswell. Sinking them is what i do now, shame i have to do it though.

Foxy4
19-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Maybe they was claiming land rights or native title on them and Boggy Creek???

Might also pay to let the security folk at BP refinery know the details as well. They do look after that area from what I hear???

saurian
20-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Sorry , I have vested interest in concrete , but I'm no coconut...
Ta

Sailfisher
24-12-2007, 05:58 AM
They are everywhere. Lost a pot up here at Turkey Beach yesterday. Would just love to get my hands on the mongrel. I strongly believe in what goes round comes round. Hope he puts it in and the same thing happens to him.

Mrs Sailfisher

plaztix
27-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Mate if you pop 4 tyres, your just as bad or even worse than the crab pot theaves. If it's not your property don't touch. Call the authorities , your not the police and don't have the powers to destroy property. Honestly if i saw ya poping someone else tyres, police will be called and your not gonna move anywhere.

Exactly like you said 'if its not your property dont touch' and i have always practiced this this myself as a basic courtesy but if someone goes out of their way to steal or damage anything that belongs to me, then they obviously dont abide by this basic rule and will get what they deserve, try to stop me. Why should they be afforded the luxury of respect if they dont have any themselves.

If you wanna sit on your ass and let people rip you off go for it but if you think the cops (authorities) are gonna do anything about a couple of $7 crab pots your a dope.

I had 8 good pots (over $400 worth of gear) knocked off a few years ago and i had a pretty good idea i knew who it was but the cops didn't want to know about it, so stick that in your goody 2 shoes pipe and smoke it. :furious: :angryfire:

disorderly
27-12-2007, 12:55 PM
will get what they deserve, try to stop me.

:furious: :angryfire:

How exactly do you determine what constitutes an appropriate punishment to administer?(thats assuming that you are actually punishing the guilty party and not some poor bastard thats in the wrong place at the right time).
You would also want to be a bit careful as you could well end up in far more trouble than the crab pot thief.

Mr__Bean
27-12-2007, 01:35 PM
G'Day guys,

I am new to crabbing and also concerned how long I might get to keep my new pots.

How do you guys go about sinking them? I have a small handheld GPS which will get me back to the spot but how do you get the rope again?

- Darren

4x4frog
27-12-2007, 02:05 PM
J

What sort of low prick steals crab pots.....i am sinking them from now on.>:(
If I were to answer that I'd be branded a racist so I won't say anymore......except, chop off one finger per pot per man>:(

punter1969*
27-12-2007, 07:02 PM
my way of sinking pots is 2 pots tied together with lead weights on ropes and i just remember where they are as i no the pine pretty good. 2 spots is pretty easy.i used to have no ropes and it can get ticky to find 4 pots with no ropes all the best mr bean

plaztix
27-12-2007, 09:36 PM
How exactly do you determine what constitutes an appropriate punishment to administer?(thats assuming that you are actually punishing the guilty party and not some poor bastard thats in the wrong place at the right time).
You would also want to be a bit careful as you could well end up in far more trouble than the crab pot thief.

Firstly, why do you think they deserve to be respected and treated fairly? They are thieving scum and were caught red handed.

If you go around nicking other peoples shit than you have got to expect that one day it will catch up with you but when the authorities don't do anything about it then the scum keep thinking that they can get away with it, so why would they stop.

It is an unwritten rule of crabbing etiquette which is almost as forbidden as sleeping with your mates wife. You might occasionally think about it or wonder whats down there but you just don't do it.

If you think the punishments too harsh don't commit the crime and it wont affect you.

disorderly
28-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Firstly, why do you think they deserve to be respected and treated fairly? They are thieving scum and were caught red handed.

If you go around nicking other peoples shit than you have got to expect that one day it will catch up with you but when the authorities don't do anything about it then the scum keep thinking that they can get away with it, so why would they stop.

It is an unwritten rule of crabbing etiquette which is almost as forbidden as sleeping with your mates wife. You might occasionally think about it or wonder whats down there but you just don't do it.

If you think the punishments too harsh don't commit the crime and it wont affect you.

I dont think they deserve to be respected.
But I do have enough respect for myself and a love for my family which ensures that I wont jeopardize myself by committing a criminal act of revenge ie beating the shit outta them or destroying their property.(unless it were self defence)

As Timmdo states "you are as bad or even worse then them",if you do commit a criminal act upon them.
Dude they just aint worth it...

BaitThrower
28-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I dont think they deserve to be respected.
But I do have enough respect for myself and a love for my family which ensures that I wont jeopardize myself by committing a criminal act of revenge ie beating the shit outta them or destroying their property.(unless it were self defence)

As Timmdo states "you are as bad or even worse then them",if you do commit a criminal act upon them.
Dude they just aint worth it...

The trouble is, that it is this lack of law enforcement that lets these pricks get away with it TIME AND TIME again.

plaztix
28-12-2007, 10:17 PM
The trouble is, that it is this lack of law enforcement that lets these pricks get away with it TIME AND TIME again.

Exactly, and while everyone sits on their hands thinking someone else will deal with them they will keep doing it while they get away with it. It starts off with a couple of pots and before you know it they'll be knocking off your boat.:-/

disorderly
29-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Exactly, and while everyone sits on their hands thinking someone else will deal with them they will keep doing it while they get away with it. It starts off with a couple of pots and before you know it they'll be knocking off your boat.:-/

I do hear you.
From my experience though,I was involved in an incident 18 months ago where 2 armed neighbors committed a minor criminal act (trespassing)against my wife and I on our own property.
Said neighbor ended up at the hospital with a lot of bruising and leakage of blood from his face.
Funny thing was they were not charged for anything but my missus was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and fortunately I was not charged.
It was deemed that we had used excessive force(and my wife cracked one with a crowbar)in combating 2 blokes on our property carrying cane knives.
The stress we endured as a result of being interviewed and her subsequently charged by the CIB with quite a serious crime was unbelievable.
You have to be real careful when you decide to take the law into your own hands even when you believe that it is justified.
Crab pot theft would be seen as very minor in a court of law but causing serious harm to the person will get you into serious trouble.
As I said earlier...they just aint worth it..

Scott

plaztix
31-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I do hear you.
From my experience though,I was involved in an incident 18 months ago where 2 armed neighbors committed a minor criminal act (trespassing)against my wife and I on our own property.
Said neighbor ended up at the hospital with a lot of bruising and leakage of blood from his face.
Funny thing was they were not charged for anything but my missus was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and fortunately I was not charged.
It was deemed that we had used excessive force(and my wife cracked one with a crowbar)in combating 2 blokes on our property carrying cane knives.
The stress we endured as a result of being interviewed and her subsequently charged by the CIB with quite a serious crime was unbelievable.
You have to be real careful when you decide to take the law into your own hands even when you believe that it is justified.
Crab pot theft would be seen as very minor in a court of law but causing serious harm to the person will get you into serious trouble.
As I said earlier...they just aint worth it..

Scott

Sorry to hear about that mate, Thats f#*kin wrong. There are some serious issues with the legal system if 2 people can come into someones house with knives and you cant even defend yourselves. Sounds like you and your wife made short work of them though. Crowbar! :o:o

If i was to dish out what i believe fair revenge i would be very careful of how i executed it and ensure i wasn't caught, bit hard to not get caught when there is 2 bleeding scum bags on your lounge room floor though hugh?:-/ Hope it all sorted it self out.

madkeen_fisherkid
04-01-2008, 09:11 PM
hi mate

man that sucks, what is this country coming to?

same thing happened to me last week, went to check my uncles pots whch i had put in a deep hole in some mangroves...only to find footprints starght to the pot

some people are so low

seamaid
05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
HI
If you would have seen the ch 10 news 4/1/08 , 2 fishos fined $ 2000 for raiding pots,
The DPI is taken a dim view on these free loaders, if these crab robbers are sighted, and rego forwarded to dpi then apprended having crabs in possession having no crab pots no receipts may well be out of pocket,we carry a mobile in the boat,
30 years we left dillies with floats , away for hours never touched
If thet can afford a boat & fuel , they can afford to buy crab pots.
Buy the pots at 4 for $55
cheers

plaztix
07-01-2008, 12:09 PM
HI
If you would have seen the ch 10 news 4/1/08 , 2 fishos fined $ 2000 for raiding pots,
The DPI is taken a dim view on these free loaders,

Excellent. Thats what i like to hear.

castlemaine
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Crazy ... My brother went to the local for a few drinks and left to wait outside for a cab but then remembered he left his leather jacket inside. He went back inside and another person had his jacket on. When he asked for his jacket back, the reply was "Get it off me". The jerk who said that was surrounded by his family (big guys), who were willing to stand by him. The question is if your on your own and not insane, what do you do? The answer ... one lost jacket. It really pi$$es me off.
Not to mention a crab pot and float should have your name, address and maybe phone number ... makes you an easy target.
A pro crabber I know told me his pots get stolen by his peers let alone recs ... he's confronted them, punched them and rammed their boats but the arrogant ba$teds just don't care and still do it.
They should be put on a boat (with the Greenies) and sent to Davy Jones' locker (sorry been watching Pirates Of The Caribean). Cheers.

disorderly
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
HI

This is an excellent outcome.
Does anybody know if this then stands as a theft conviction on the perpetrators record?

Scott

timddo
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Exactly like you said 'if its not your property dont touch' and i have always practiced this this myself as a basic courtesy but if someone goes out of their way to steal or damage anything that belongs to me, then they obviously dont abide by this basic rule and will get what they deserve, try to stop me. Why should they be afforded the luxury of respect if they dont have any themselves.

If you wanna sit on your ass and let people rip you off go for it but if you think the cops (authorities) are gonna do anything about a couple of $7 crab pots your a dope.

I had 8 good pots (over $400 worth of gear) knocked off a few years ago and i had a pretty good idea i knew who it was but the cops didn't want to know about it, so stick that in your goody 2 shoes pipe and smoke it. :furious: :angryfire:

Are you 100% sure it's them. Just givin a scenario, You slash the wrong persons tyres and he happen to be a pension who can't afford to fix the the car, let alone fish.

If we can take the laws in our hands, we don't need cops or he court system, heck why do we need the government either.

I've had pots stolen, but a thief will eventually get caught. Another point. If you know the person doing it, get them on video camera as evidence.

seamaid
09-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Disorderly
;D If you are convicted of any criminal act, you must go down on the books.
Drop in see the DPI People they will tell you the information on the fines & how to go about getting these offenders caught, you can obtain the DPI HOT LINE on their business cards.
Cheers Ged

greenbeest
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
One of my brothers mates goes crabbing quite a lot and is sick of getting his pots raided/stolen by share farmers (crab pot theives).
A couple of times he has even given chase after hearing them raid his pots as he was fishing in the area near where he had set the pots..
There was a confrontation when he caught up with them but the pot raiders denied doing it.
There was nothing he could do. (Within the law anyway).
He said the next time he puts the crab pots in he will thread/tie fish hooks at intervals along the crab pot rope to deter thieving.
He said after they get hooked a few times maybe they will stop doing it.
At the time of talking to him I believe he was quite serious about doing this.

I have talked to others about this issue.
I was told some of the pro fishos in metropolitan areas attach razor wire to the crab pot rope at different intervals.
This has been a successful deterrant.

Would you risk getting your hands carved up by razor wire again ??

plaztix
11-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Are you 100% sure it's them. Just givin a scenario, You slash the wrong persons tyres and he happen to be a pension who can't afford to fix the the car, let alone fish.

If we can take the laws in our hands, we don't need cops or he court system, heck why do we need the government either.

I've had pots stolen, but a thief will eventually get caught. Another point. If you know the person doing it, get them on video camera as evidence.

Mate, you are asking the same questions and making the same statements as have already been made. Read my posts and take what you want from it.::)

If you don't like my take on it, don't steal my pots and you'll be right.;)