PDA

View Full Version : Proposed DPI&F Changes - CLOSE EURIMBULA!!

Red_Nut
12-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Team,
yet another time we need to get off our bums to read about proposed changes to the commercial and recreational fishing in QLD.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I STRONGLY recommend that everyone reads the proposed changes on the DPI&F website.

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/18767.html#three

The main things that raise red flags for me are:
- Combined limit of all Mackerel species of 10

- Close Eurimbula Ck near Agnes Waters to all fishing activities. This waterway is already a crab sanctuary and commercial net fishing is banned. Why close it down for recreational anglers????? This place has the best laid out national park camping sites in the area, with a great safe swimming place for kids. Locking out recreational fishing from this creek will mean a drastic reduction to campers (away from school holidays and long weekends the place is deserted anyway). Rediculous.>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

There are a lot of propsed changes that do make sense, but some are not quite right. :-/

There is information on the website about how to let the DPI&F know your concerns.

Cheers.

Ed.

Clint06
12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
bag limit of 2 for both cobia and yellowtail kings seems quite extreme to me.

rayken1938
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Dereck Bullock already started a thread on this under News forum.
Cheers
Ray

tunaticer
12-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I think closing Eurimbula Creek will be a good thing in the long run.

I also beleive that EVERY creek and river should have a complete spell from all fishing one year out of every four. Every year the next creek north closes for opne full year as the previous protected creek comes out of protection. Every creek or waterway should have a rotational break from all forms of pressure even our favorite little secret spots.

Jack.

Mike Delisser
12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Interesting idea Jack, I'd like to know if it's been tried anywhere succsessfuly before I'd jump onboard.
Mike

Lovey80
13-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Your idea may have some merrit Tunaticer one out of every 4 years wouldn't be too much to cop.

Cheers Chris

Jim_Tait
29-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Jack,

I rekon that sort of initiative especially if put forward by rec fishers would be well recieved - and at least worth a trial!

Regards Jim

Fafnir
29-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I agree 100% with a pro-active approach from recreational anglers. Just wondering though, what would the 1 year closure achieve? Apart from potentially good PR. How many species in the creeks along the QLD coast are resident and how many are migratory? How many are over fished and at risk? Exactly what would the benefits be?

Not knocking the idea, but I would need some convincing before I would support such a move. If someone could demonstrate a real benefit that each river would receive by having 12 months closure I would be 100% behind it. But I'm not sure that there would be any benefits.