PDA

View Full Version : New Mercury 60 4 strokes

dicko1980
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of repowering my 5m Hooker with a new 60 Merc 4 stroke Bigfoot as pictured below and wanting feedback from fellow ausfisher's about 4 stroke Merc's in this size and if any one has yet fitted the latest motor with the new control box. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
dicko1980;D

http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/images/engines/outboards/fourstrokes/engine_60_off.jpg

jack20000
12-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I got a price for one $8,600 installed, tiller. But am thinking of going with e-tec. What speed/economy will u get? Jack.

Leighton
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Mate I have been waiting 5 weeks now for a part for my Merc 75 4 st, the motor has done 52hrs. I just hope this is an isolated case, but the Merc waranty is a joke, sending part from the US by sea. The bubble is about to burst, I have been calm till now. Saying that the motor when running is a cracker, really quiet and the economy is awesome.

charleville
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I cannot comment on the Bigfoot nor on the current model but I have owned a 60 hp 4 stroke carby model Merc for six years (400 hours) and my only real complaint is that when in neutral, the prop rotates just a little bit. There is no real power in the prop in neutral and it is easily held from rotating by the hand when flushing the motor but in the water it is enough to give the boat a slow forward motion which is not what I would expect when in neutral.

I have taken the matter up with my dealer and Mercury themselves separately but the answer received is that a lot of motors do that. I cannot really recall the reason but I think that it had something to do with the prop shaft just being turned by movement of oil in the gearbox. I could be wrong on that but it was something like that. I have never looked at how these things work so please forgive me if I am speaking crap regarding the real reason.

Other than that though, the motor has been reliable in all weathers and very quiet and economical to run.

I would buy the same motor again but I would want to get one on which the prop stayed still in neutral.

My six year old model contains a Yamaha powerhead but I don't know if that is still the case with the current models. When I bought mine, I had the option of EFI but it was an extra $1500 at that time and I was not sure if all Merc mechanics around the country would have the skills and tools to work on an EFI motor as they were new at that time so I stayed with a carby model. I would go with EFI these days though.

Grunter71
12-12-2007, 08:07 PM
I cannot comment on the Bigfoot nor on the current model but I have owned a 60 hp 4 stroke carby model Merc for six years (400 hours) and my only real complaint is that when in neutral, the prop rotates just a little bit. There is no real power in the prop in neutral and it is easily held from rotating by the hand when flushing the motor but in the water it is enough to give the boat a slow forward motion which is not what I would expect when in neutral.

I have taken the matter up with my dealer and Mercury themselves separately but the answer received is that a lot of motors do that. I cannot really recall the reason but I think that it had something to do with the prop shaft just being turned by movement of oil in the gearbox. I could be wrong on that but it was something like that. I have never looked at how these things work so please forgive me if I am speaking crap regarding the real reason.

My props do this when flushing. As you say, it can be stopped by holding it. They turn very easily in neutral and i have always assumed it is the excess water hitting the prop blades, making them turn.

It also does it in the water, when at anchor or at drift. I assume this is the current pushing on the blades, and making them spin. It is a pain in the bum if your slack line gets tangled around the prop as it can wind itself up into a hell of a mess.

Blister
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Dicko
I had an EFI 50 4-stroke Mercury for 5 years. Smooth all the way through to WOT. Quiet at idle..economical. Suitable propping makes them fairly responsive at take off. Love the way 4 strokes hang onto planing as you slow down. My Optimax is much the same but not as smooth or quiet at idle but is super frugal.
When flushing at home 50 EFI was quiet as..walk inside you couldn't hear it..
Would buy another one any time...
Blister

Blister
12-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Forgot to add my prop used to do the same thing(rotate)and was never an issue...

dicko1980
14-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Could any ausfisher's out there give me an idea on what sort of fuel economy to expect. Can't wait to see how it goes as it can only be an improvement on my thirsty 75 two stroke.

Cheers
dicko1980

Angry
16-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Dicko,

Take it from me, you want as much cubic capacity as you can get, that means a 4 cylinder, either a yammie or Merc 4 cylinder.

I had a 435 hornet witha 50hp Merc 4 stroke, (996cc 4 cyl), sold it toi upgrade to a 460 Stacer toureement has a 50hp Suzuki/Johnson 4 stroke, (3 cylinder & 814cc just like the 50hp Honda).

Where my old Hornet would jump onto the plane & two 2 of the kids on two tubes.
The Johnson doesn't have enought grunt & struggles onto the plane & then becuase it has to be propped with less pitch to get onto plane goes slower. & it wont tow 2 tubes.

Go with the Merc it 996cc & 4 clyinder, the manufacturesr need to be publishing the touqurefigures for motor as well as HP.

Angry

dicko1980
16-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks Angry for the reply, I pick my boat up this week and will be keen to see how it performs as I have never been in a 4 stroker or a direct injection DFI as I have only ever owned two bangers.

Cheers
dicko1980