PDA

View Full Version : Best 4x4 as first car?

yamiemerk
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey, i'm 17 and have decided to get a 4x4 as my first car so that i can tow my 3.7m tinny and do a bit of beach camping/fishing etc.

I've been looking at a few different cars: Toyota surf/4runner, Suzuki sierra/vitara/jimny, Holden frontera and Daihatsu Feroza/Rocky. However there is some prolems for me with all; the toyotas would use alot of fuel for my budget, the suzukis and ferozas might not have enough space to fit camping and fishing gear and the Fronteras are hard to find.

I'm looking to spend 5-7 grand and dont care if it's in bad cosmetic condition or if it doesent run too well. Just want something that wont break down to easily.

Can anyone offer any suggestions of other cars that you think would be suitable or offer some thoughts on the cars i already listed? Thanks, Mark

Tailortaker
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I've got an old '89 2.4lt diesel 4 runner, it's tows my boat, gets us up the beach and some weekend 4wding. It is pretty cheap to run and reliabable, You should find one in good nick with your budget. I payed $5000 3 years ago with snorkle,new 31 inch at tyres, bullbar, sidestep, ac and cd player.
Cheers TT

Blackened
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
G'day

Go for an old hilux, '87 through '90ish. Failing that, nothing wrong with the suzy, throw the camping gear in the boat.,

Dave

seameter
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I would recommend that you get an older hilux ute. they were a tough and reliable car for the most part and should suite your needs fine. Just try and maybe find one that hasn't lived it's life near a beach of any sorts. Maybe an ex country car. But it would obviously depend on where you live and what you could find within reasonable travel time

Poodroo
11-12-2007, 07:13 PM
As always when you ask people on a chat forum which is the better way to go as far as buying a 4x4 you are going to get Toyota drivers recommending Toyota's, Nissan drivers recommending Nissan's, Mitsubishi Drivers recommending Mitsubishi's etc. I am going to attempt a non biased post by saying I have seen most in action and in most cases you cannot go wrong with any of them so personal choice will have a large part to play in your selection. Most 4b's are reliable if well maintained and most of them are as capable as the person driving them. Toyota's may be a little thirsty when purchasing a petrol engine but I believe a diesel could be a good option there if you prefer them for capability. The Nissans have a good choice of models to select from being Navaras all the way up to the mighty Patrol which are also a bit thirsty unless you go diesel. From my own experiences the Mitsubishi Pajeros which you can purchase for near give away prices these days are also not too bad an option. Most people who know me know that I own two Pajeros and having a great reliable run out of both cars. The 3.0 litre petrol version offers reasonable economy as well and so far I have clocked up 390,000 klms in mine and still running the original donk and gearbox etc. Not the fastest 4wd on the market but they weren't designed as a drag car by the same token. It has enough power to get me through nearly every bit of offroading that I have done in it and it tows well. The other Pajero is a 3.5 litre petrol automatic which has loads more grunt but it is a little more thirsty which I guess is a price you pay for more power. Ultimately the choice is yours. Good luck with your hunt. I am sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Regards,

Poodroo

hellfish
11-12-2007, 10:39 PM
G'day Mark. One important thing to remember is that the 4x4 u buy will also hav to b ur every day car. My first car was a 1990 turbo diesel Pajero with over 400,000k,s for $3000. This truck went everywhere, and other than regular maintainance i didnt hav to spend a cent on it. Sold it to a mate about 18 months ago and only now at neally 600,000k,s is the motor starting to hav problems. It was also very economical getting about 1000k,s to an 82lt tank. And compared to another mates old Hilux with half the k,s , performed and handled like a sports car. U will get a reasonable 1990-94(the SWB soft tops in those years are pretty cool) diesel Pajero for the money u want to spend. Wat ever u get make sure u get a good mechanic to check it out befor u buy. Good luck with the search. Rhys.

revs57
12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
G'day Mark,

We have a frontera v6, lovely car, gets up and boogies, very reliable, heaps of grunt, but thirsty! Anything with a v6 in a 4x4 you will drive from bowser to bowser...better to look 4cyl...diesle will give you both economy, longevity and grunt,

A turbo diesel Rodeo would be a good option, but not sure if it would suit the 5-7k budget...failing the rodeo a Hilux/surf/4runner would be my next pick - stay away from the 720 nissan as they are absolutely hopeless off road.

Have you considered the Diahatsu Rocky they are a tough little truck too, a mate of mine had one and dragged his tinny all over the place with it - could be worht considering in the mix

Cheers

rhys

TheRealAndy
12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
When I was 17 i did not have a 4x4, I was very stupid. However, a couple of mates had them, a 82 petrol hilux, a rodeo about the same era and a slightly later model surf. All were picked up pretty cheap and all did the trick. We did all the maintenance on our cars ourselves and they just kept going. that was 15 odd years ago now. The best 4x4 you can buy is the one in the best nick for the cheapest price.

shorty 01
12-12-2007, 07:49 PM
hey mark

im 18 and i have a suzuki sairra and mate this thing will go anywhere. cheep on fuel and will tow ya boat no probs. i can go on a campin and fishen trip and i will fit everything in but u will have to take out the back seats. the cost of the zuk was $3000

cheers davo

yamiemerk
12-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've narrowed it down to either a hilux surf, a hilux dual cab ute or a sierra. However i still have my options wide open if any others come up that are a good deal. Your advice will definately help me, thanks again

Flex
12-12-2007, 11:54 PM
I own a 94 hilux ute, 2.4l petrol. If your on a tight fuel budget DONT buy one.
I get 12-15l per 100km, which is insanely expensive for such a small motor. towing your boat your looking at 20l per 100km. so tow your boat from brisbane to bundy your looking at 60l+ of fuel and $80.

a suziki would be the better option on a tight fuel budget.

baitwaster
13-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Hilux diesel dual cab.
Go to govt. fleet auctions on K.Smith drive for a look.
(Have a look first and don't buy, then go to the next auction and buy one).

mine gets about 520 km per tank. It's a non-turbo 3L.

Flex
13-12-2007, 09:29 AM
how often do they hold the auctions? My mrs is in the hunt for a new car and from what I can tell the auctions seem the way to go.

Darren D
13-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Good day Mark, my father has a older model rodeo 2.8 turbo diesel for sale,low ks,conopy,etc in your budget range pm me if you want more info.
Darren.

Blackened
13-12-2007, 09:55 AM
G'day

Make sure you get a rigid front in the hilux if you're taking it 4x4ing, will also vouch for the 2.8TD rodeo

Dave

logan_whiting
23-12-2007, 08:21 AM
mate ive got a suzi serria great liitle car for fishing cheap on fuel and goes anywhere on the beach it also tows my 3.9 tinnie, even goes on the long trips

blaze
23-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Had a bit of a smile on thinking about first cars. My only MUST have was the ability to fit a matress in the back and able to get behind the closest tree off road. So my first car was a HR station wagon, handle all easy access beach driving, power to tow if needed, able to access most land based spots I fished, carried my surf board but above all a place to lay my weary head at night fall. Boy oh boy was that a party car.
cheers
blaze