PDA

View Full Version : mud tyres in sand

seameter
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi.
I am only fairly new to 4wding and I am only just getting into it now that i have a couple of mates who also have fourbies. At the moment my rodeo is just running on 235/75/ 15 simex at tyres and I am not a fan of these. In the past I have mainly done sand driving on moreton / fraser but now i am looking to expand into other types as well. My question is if I put chunkier tyres on such as BF Goodrich mud terrain is the car still going to go ok in the sand. If they will not what do people recommend I do?. I am also after a bit more height in my rodeo. does anybody know a good tyre size for the 2.8TD rodeo which will help lift the car up a little.

Blackened
11-12-2007, 03:52 PM
G'day

I also have a 2.8 TD rodeo, 2001 dual cab tray back.

The biggest size you can go on standard rims are 225/75R16, this is legally.

Anything bigger, look @ suspension, My consensus is the rodeo was never meant to be a lifted 4x4, there's just enough clearance there standard anyway.

Dave

seameter
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I should mention that the rodeo has a 45mm front lift and a 50mm rear lift and sits on 15x7 steel rims

Tailortaker
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure but with the lift you get awy with 33's if not 32's, as for muddies on the sand you'll have no dramas.
Cheers TT

Benny01
11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
muddies are crap on sand. they dig nice holes

Taipan
11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I had BFG muddies on my old Patrol and had no drama's on sand, If I defalted the tyres.

Poodroo
12-12-2007, 07:00 AM
I agree with Benny01. Mud tyres with aggressive tread patterns tent to allow wheel spin and they grab the sand and shovel it behind them resulting in nice trenches. If you let down the tyre pressures you can probably still get through but I think A/T's are the best for all round use.

Poodroo

ozscott
12-12-2007, 07:04 AM
in theory muddies have less contact area so they should dig in more in sand (ie more pressure on the contact areas), however last time I was in deep stuff my bros county had tall thin muddies on - typical Land Rover tyres. They worked well at 20psi. Its the profile thats important in sand....nice tall rubber off the rim means that there is decreased contact angle (less digging in) and longer footprint which means the tyre is creating a path for iteself, speading the load and not like trying to roll a log (ie which is the example for fat low profile tyres - trying to roll a log, building up a big wide wedge of sand along the tyre front). Air down a tall tyre and you get massive advtantage that fat low profiles just cant achieve.

I used to run Michellen XPC ATs and I have gone to a Scorpian AT LT thats closer to a Muddy than a typical AT. I am keen to see how they go this year because they are so much taller than my Michys. The Michy's thought were always good.

I reckon tall muddy's aird down would be fine.

Cheers

mini696
13-12-2007, 04:24 PM
The best tyres to have on sand are normal road terrain tyres (running low pressure of course), however you should have no problem at all with the muddies.

whynott
14-12-2007, 07:01 AM
We run cooper stt's. They are fantastic in the bush and just as good in the sand if you run them at 20lb, thats loaded or empty. It all comes with what you really want to do with the tryes. We run two sets, we have road tyres for around town and the Muddies for off road.
Cheers Sue ( mrs whynott ).:D :D

Westie CALOUNDRA
13-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I have MTR's on the Vitara and with 20 psi the dig big holes at 15 the are better BUT 12 psi they are BLOODY GREAT just walk over everything.

So try it when next in the sand with muds drop them 5psi more than normal ( Normal being 20psi for sand driving) and then try a couple of psi more I know it don't sound much but at those preasures a drop of 2 psi will make a HUGE differance.

MY-TopEnder
13-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if the 2001 is an RA Rodeo (too lazy to look), but there are ways and means of getting a bit more out of them.

As a base though, a mate of mine had an RA Rodeo with 3" suspension wind up in the front, 4" lift in the back and he managed 32" BFG Muds... that was about his limit though as he was constantly bending tie rod ends and steering rack shafts. He even broke an entire rack off the crossmember once.

They can be made to go well... with 32" mudies, and ARB Air Lockers, that Rodeo made it up hills that would surprise you. The beauty of it was that as soon as you came out of the bush, it handled like a car.

Nine Lives
16-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Mate i work in a tyre store and sell all different brands.

Over the years i have really come to like the Maxxis Bravo 751 AT it is a terrific tyre that always wears well and gets great milage. There are lots of tyres that work as good but in my opinion few that wear as well and offer the milage that the maxxis do. I would fit a 31 x 10.5 x 15 as this alows for nicer daily driver capabilities and is still fairly inexpensive @ around $170.00 each.

hope this helps cheers Brian.

Blackened
17-01-2008, 05:53 AM
G'day

As nine lives has said, I will also reccomend the bravo 751's.

Just did a big drive to melbourne, through everything from hot dry to cold torrential rain, and not once did I feel unsafe

Dave

baitwaster
17-01-2008, 07:08 AM
I have a standard 3Lt diesel hi-lux. I use Falken CV tyres on sunraysiers and get 100,000 Km per set. I have never been bogged in the sand, and I have never deflated them. They still feel nice and pliable after 100k and hold the road well, even in the wet. They don't dig in very well in the mud, but in saying that, I have only had her bogged once when I was shooting and it rained at goondoowindi.

Vehicle has 205,000 clicks on it and I just put the third set of tyres on her.