PDA

View Full Version : Free to Air Television; Can you get it off Austar

Chimo
11-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi All

As the heading says BUT can you use the dish as a source of free to air TV signal Without a decoder by using adaptors so you can plug into a tv set?

We are wondering for some guests who wlil be in the spare room that has an old Austar outlet in it; without the decoder.

We could be and probably are clutching at straws but I figured somone on AF could set me straight.

Thanks

Chimo

oldboot
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
you wont get anything out of a pay TV socket without a decoder.

depending on the cabling set up anf if you still have a pay TV service connected. you may be able to rewire the cable going to the outlet in question on to the free to air antenna system.

If you still have cabling connected to the pay TV system in the street everything gets.... legaly complicated because the network boundry is problay at the wall socket.
You are not even suposed to connect anything to that socket that isnt a decoder.

bad news I'm affraid.

This is a cable based pay TV system I gather.

cheers

mik01
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Chimo,
its not setup to even receive FTA televison signals - your dish is looking for a satellite in space and I don't think could ever receive ordinary tv signals.

try this site for all you ever needed to know about pay tv, FTA and anything else remotely electrical http://www.dtvforum.info/
if your question can't be answered on this site, it never will.

be prepared to strap a propeller to your head!
cheers,
Mick

2rods
11-12-2007, 05:24 PM
be prepared to strap a propeller to your head!
cheers,
Mick

:lolk: :lolk: :lolk: :lolk:

Now that is funny.........

Simmo2
11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Austar is housed on a satellite that has no real FTA channels.
If Austar is no longer used, then you could move the dish and get other stuff, but not a lot!

Check out this forum, you may notice a familiar face!!
www.vetrun.com

Chimo
12-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks Simmo2 "Top Poster"

Chimo
PS I am not into this stuff even enough to be dangerous!
TOH was going to plug the TV in and I figured we would get some real info on the deal.