PDA

View Full Version : Do fish smell their tucker???

finga
11-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Got thinking last night...

Fish seem to go nuts over plastics, lures, fresh stinky bait and sometimes really old really stinky really rotten stinky bait.
So....
Do fish taste the tucker then scoff it down??
If so then why do they hit lures and plastics??

Do fish smell their tucker before scoffing it down????
If so then why do they attack lures???

Or do they like the look of their tucker and just guts it down.

Or do they like the way it moves in the water and just guts it down.

Why/how do fish pick what goes in their gobs???

Flattie Assassin
11-12-2007, 06:47 AM
I reckon it's a mixture of both. When i fished bait, I would most often fish mullet gut for bream, stinky and works well. Plastics i reckon it's action all the way. The smell will help sure. But i reckon it's the wobble they can't resist. Any extra gulp smell etc is a bonus.

Noelm
11-12-2007, 07:22 AM
I guess it is a yes to all your statements, Fish will certainly hit something (like a lure) without any scent, others will be "sniffers" and just sort of sniff about looking for food (like say a Stingray) some will just hide and wait untill something "foody" zips by (Flathead), others will "taste" food and spit it out if it is not to their liking, so in essence, almost anything will catch a fish at sometime, but as a general rule (for me) fresh bait, not rotten, good action lures, and imitation lures all the way!

Noelm
11-12-2007, 07:24 AM
just to explain what I meant be "immitation" lures, I mean (say) Prawnstars or small Metal slugs that match a baitfish around on a certain day!

webby
11-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Some species like mackeral will even regurguitate ??? food once in a feeding frenzy just to keep feeding.
Other species when not in feeding mode, will attack objects (baits or lures) when dropped into their territorial zones as a defensive measure.
While Others will attack bigger baits or lures that are different to what their feeding on at the time.
Distress vibrations will cause many fish to divert to the sauce knowing their could be a easy feed available.
Yes smell does attrack some to feed, but the majority of species dont swim up to a bait or lure have a sniff and decided its edible, most willmouth the bait and either swim off with it or spit it out.
movement, vibrations pick up buy their lateral lines, flashes, territorial and ambushes i'd say are the top contender to make a fish strike.
Sharks often hit objects, to mouth and taste it first before returning to take a bite.
Just some of my thoughs
regards

jackson4300
13-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Well I have used a piece of mack tuna on a gang that was a long long way past its use by date and hadn't been on ice or anything for a couple of days and got my biggest flatty to date (1.02m). The smell was overwhelming to put it slightly.

But then again a well presented lure or sp will arouse them just the same, I suppose its what the fish are feeding on at the time that will work the best.