PDA

View Full Version : Vision G2 disappointment :( :(

FNQCairns
10-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Just had a look at my vision charts, I couldn't recommend them for anyone fishing the Great Barrier Reef, the green zones are not represented neither is the yellow or the pink! What is represented is an amalgum of all zones in red lines with an outside border, there is no way to know whether a person is fishing in a Green or a yellow or a pink zone where both zones share a common border, it's realy pretty useless actually, damn useless actually.

All of the other special functions are a bit of bling but not worthy of the extra price IMO.

I have spent less than an hour with it, the card is dated july so possibly there a more up to date card has less pathetic green zone regions??

Hope someone can set me straighter?

cheers fnq

disorderly
10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Thats interesting to hear scott.
I have just the standard 120 bucks garmin bluechart and wondered just whether there would be anymore info on the g2 vision charts.
Doesnt sound like it for this area anyway.Same red dotted line for the zones.
I mean all the chart makers basically have at their disposal the same maritime information anyway,dont they.
Hey but does it show you where the closest mcdonalds is.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

FNQCairns
10-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Scott, I was too harsh, I jumped the gun a little, was full of disapointment at the time and walked away in disgust, have had another play with it since it does show a green zone say within a surrounding yellow zone although without local knowledge (or a green zone chart)they are unrecognisable. The tide times are nice.

But all of the zones have the same diagonal pink lines filling them, a person has to then look for a fairly small line of pink dashs that divides zones. Looking now for how to turn the sat pic portion off, it slows the unit up a fair bit.

Think you are right about the finite amount of info they have to make the charts cannot be any better than the reference charts used.

Still getting the feel for it.

cheers fnq

Twisted_Pair
10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi fnq

I went out Sunday with my new GPSmap 420 with the g2 vision chart (VPC414S) July 07 Mackay to Twofold Bay. This was my first ever experience with a chartplotter of any type. I was overall very impressed.
This chart also only shows red dotted lines if I pan up your way to the GBR.

FYI I notice in the g2 vision booklet that there is a section entitled Reporting Chart Errors and have a form that can be submitted online at www.garmin.com/cartography (http://www.garmin.com/cartography) Maybe reporting these omissions would help this futher detail be included in the next revision (they quote to strive to offer semi-annual updates)

They also mention that they offer an Update/Tade-in program for the g2 vision charts at 50% discount (applies only to US market). I bought mine from there and hope I maybe eligible, if Piscatorial Pursuit reads this he may be able to answer this question for us. I'm assuming you ended up buying the 525 in the US so this may help in the future as well.

Regards
T_P

FNQCairns
11-12-2007, 08:15 AM
T_P thanks for the good info I also did a scroll down after reading your post and had a look at your area, pretty much the same as my stomping ground, I wonder if I have the most up to date card? steep learning curve, have you worked out which version of software your unit is using? mine is 2.5 - real old, lots of updates since, will be downloading the upgrade soon, 3.0 is up to date I think?

Gary was nice enough to give the heads up and the link a week or so ago, worth checking if you have not already.

cheers fnq

Twisted_Pair
11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Yep fnq mine is also software version 2.5, I did note the current upgrade version was 3.0 & will do this upgrade when I buy a new SD card.

I also like the tides feature & celestial for moom phases is great too!

I would assume that July 07 would be the latest card, will have to keep an eye out.

Just on another note have you registered your unit & card on the Garmin site? I was only able to register my unit not the pre-programmed chart card as was advised in the g2 Vision manual. I contacted Garmin at support & there reply was that the g2 Vision pre-progarmmed chart cards were not required to be registered - so a bit of double dutch there.
Regards T_P

FNQCairns
11-12-2007, 06:09 PM
T_P will let you know what I find out dealing with flashing the software, so far everything I have tried has failed, distinct lack of non rudementry Garmin support information doesn't help.

The only thing I have not tried is using XP instead of win98, so will go through it all again on our other computer, the whole process works flawlessly just the gps couldn't care less all of the files it needs are on the sd card so it does what it usally does without a map card loaded -bit frustrating - crap software design IMO as it happily will use the sd to up and download waypoints etc.

Anyway will let you know any further hints of tips to this.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
11-12-2007, 09:43 PM
T_P I got it, worth doing if your new software has the same updates as mine (bet it does), just make sure you insert the card with the new software when the GPS is turned on!!!!. So simple but a rule that's hard to break from the old serial connection days:)

Have now got a split nav screen also a much better heading line (thinner) + a couple of other things noticed, sick of looking at it now, if you have any probs pm me I have been through every step 20 times...... except for the last one I explained above (insert pulling hair out icon:))

cheers fnq

Splash
11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
hi fnq .

have you checked your pms?

FNQCairns
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
hi fnq .

have you checked your pms?

Yes Mate just running short on time - tomorrow, promise.

cheers fnq

Twisted_Pair
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks fnq for the heads up, I haven't much hair to spare so I appreciate your effort.:D
Regards T_P

Twisted_Pair
12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Software version 3.0 loaded!!!!!!!!;D ;D

davo
12-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I must admitt I wasn't that impressed with G2 either. While I've been a Garmin GPS fan for a long time the Navionics chart on my mates 787 Humminbird is outstanding for a lot less money.

FNQCairns
13-12-2007, 11:22 AM
T_P half your luck and in 1/50th the time I bet!:)

Hi Davo I bought the unit to deal with these lockout zones first and foremost, it does do that but it could be done very much better IMO not sure if other brands of charts would do it better, they may, the rest seems ok though, have only just fitted it to the boat so will see but still annoyed I will need to take my GBRMPA charts with me anywhere I do not know like the back of my hand.

cheers fnq

tully
13-12-2007, 01:02 PM
FNQ earlier this year I bought a C-map card for my navman, and was very dissapointed to find that the new marine park areas for Port Stephens (NSW)won't be shown. The reason being that the park was only recently declared, and the C-map people in Sydney said they had not received any info from the marine park authourity, who in turn said it would be some time before they could supply info to map makers.
I was prepared to wait a while, but got the impression that it would be a long wait. Hopefully my card can be updated if/when it ever happens.

imported_QCR
13-12-2007, 05:13 PM
FNQ you have scared me now!

I live in Mission Beach

My 525s has just arrived from the states and the card is in transit. I have just read all of this post and fired up the GPS on a battery and the version is 2.5. I found the link to the upgrade that Garry left and there is quite a bit that has happened between 2.5 & 3.0.

Could I ask a couple of questions:

What sort of SD card did you get (eg is it just a standard card available anywhere), and is there any sort of tuition available as to how you get the upgrade first onto the card and then into the GPS, I dont want to wreck anything at this stage, I'm 1 week away from launch after a year or more of work restoring a 5mtr Hooker.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks for this post it has been very informative

Terry

FNQCairns
13-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi Terry being the monday expert I am:), first download the 3.0 version from Garmin.

Then grab an sd card any one will do I got a 2 pack from Dicksmith 1 and 2 gig for $49, no way you will ever use even .5 of a gig with this machine.

Place this Sd card in the unit and send something to it like a waypoint, then take the card out place it in the computer/card reader and open the downloaded 3.0 file, this will unpack it and place all of the files ou need on the sD card without any special work from you.

Turn the GPS on it rev up with out any card in it, then place the SD card in and stand back for 5 min till all done and updated:)

PS if you find a way to display both the speed over ground and the time till destination on the main chart page let me know!

cheers fnq

imported_QCR
13-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks FNQ

I'll give it a go and pass on anything I learn.

Terry

Piscatory Pursuit
14-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Great thread guys. Garmin has put out alot of udates for their new models so just keep an eye on their website for any new updates to arise. I had a customer that has a 525 that was freezing up. Installed the update and problem solved.

As far as charts that show your different color zones. Is anyone aware of any charts that do show the zones in their colors? I have heard many complaints similar to those in this thread but I can't recall any that said they love they way their charts show the different color zones.

imported_QCR
14-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi FNQ

I tried with no success.

Downloaded files off web site for V3
Put card into GPS and copied off WP
Loaded SD Card into reader and downloded file to card and was told transfer was successful.
turned on gps and inserted card
Gps recognises card and starts update and searches for marine devices and then stops in a couple of miniutes with no update, all works same but still 2.5 as before.

Because its a combo maybe it needs the tranducer attached so it can find the marine devices.

I use XP and the GPS was attaced to a fully charged battery.

Any ideas that would explain

Thanks

Terry

Twisted_Pair
14-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Terry
I use XP so I don't think thats the problem.
When I upgraded mine to V3 I started with a new SD card and downloaded the update straight to the new card. GPS identified it straight away.
Good luck.
Regards, T_P

imported_QCR
14-12-2007, 09:12 PM
TP Mines a combo

Is yours a combo and during the upgrade did it say it was "Searching for new marine devices"

It may have just stopped when it didnt find the transducer

I used a new card also

Terry

FNQCairns
14-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Terry thats no good, try T_P method, format the card then copy the downloaded V3 file directly over to it then insert it in the running 525. Worth a try before going round in circles like I did.

cheers fnq

Twisted_Pair
15-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Terry mine is just a plotter but the update V3.0 from Garmin is the same download file for both a 525 or 525S so that should not be an issue. I am sorry I don't recall seeing that message (searching for new marine devices) it all happened so quickly, then took a couple of minutes to load. If it still doesn't work maybe the transducer should be installed to proceed.
Regards, T_P

imported_QCR
15-12-2007, 09:25 AM
First Off, Thanks FNQ and TP for all your help, V3 is installed.

For those that have combos the procedure was:

Download the update to computer, Format new card and install software to card as the others have described, (i didnt add a WP his time round) fire up GPS and insert card.

This is where it probably gets a bit different, you must have the transducer connected as the GPS searches for other Marine devices, in this case it is the transducer, it counts down in % accross the install screen until it finds it and seems to only go as far as it needs to then just installs as would be normal.

Hope this help others

Now to look for speed over ground etc on main screen

I'll pass on anything I discover

Terry

FNQCairns
15-12-2007, 07:34 PM
First Off, Thanks FNQ and TP for all your help, V3 is installed.

For those that have combos the procedure was:

Download the update to computer, Format new card and install software to card as the others have described, (i didnt add a WP his time round) fire up GPS and insert card.

This is where it probably gets a bit different, you must have the transducer connected as the GPS searches for other Marine devices, in this case it is the transducer, it counts down in % accross the install screen until it finds it and seems to only go as far as it needs to then just installs as would be normal.

Hope this help others

Now to look for speed over ground etc on main screen

I'll pass on anything I discover

Terry

Now thats good news, feels good when a piece of $1000 equipment works as best it can:-/.

Shame Garmin was too lazy to include an extra but single line of the very simple but essential information needed to do a no 'fuss' upgrade for us both.

At least we both have it sussed now8-).

Will be testing on the water tommorrow;D

cheers fnq