PDA

View Full Version : hole in Fibreglass hull - repair suggestions

beakatron
10-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

Had a bit of a accident yesterday and put a whole the size of a golf ball in the front of my fibreglass hull :'( . It's a pretty clean hole, it hit the end of an exposed peice of steel on the pontoon as I was unpacking for the afternoon. Didn't cause any cracks or anything, just unlucky that the angle it hit it on, and the sharpish end/corner of the steel, was just enough to punture it.

Anyway, I'm on the west side of Brissy, does anyone have any reccomendations for where I could get it repaired?

Are there mobile repairers for that sort of thing? Could I fix it myself (starting from a position of not knowing anything about how to do it)?

How much coin do you think I might be up for?

Would appreciate any guidance, bit of a bugger of a time to have it out of action with xmas coming up.

Cheers,
Brendan

FNQCairns
10-12-2007, 11:44 AM
You can do it yourself easily, if, it is above the waterline, if there is good access to the inside of the hole and you are just a little handy.

If there is no access to the inside and it is below the waterline try not to let a professional say it's OK a little glass and some putty and it will be sweet -it isn't.

Try and ask for a repair not a patch, ask them what they would do to patch it after they have just told you how they were going to do the repair.

anyway good luck.

cheers fnq