PDA

View Full Version : Light wiring problem!

BaitThrower
09-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi all, quick question. I have added regular port/starb lights to my 3.4m mothership ;) and have a LED anchor light. I have one of those splashproof 4-gang switch plates which is hooked directly to the battery via the positive battery cable. This cable has two leads going to the two top switches and then a smaller wire to the two bottom siwtches. I have the nav light positive wires spliced together running into one of the switches. The anchor light wire runs to another of the switches. All the black cables are hooked to the negative battery terminal.

Probalem is that I can't have both the anchor light and nav lights on at the same time. They work fine independantly, but if I have the anchor light on, as soon as I switch the nav lights on, the anchor light goes off, and when i switch the nav lights off, the anchor light comes back on... I can't make sense of it but I'm sure there is a simple answer that some wiring guru knows??

TheRealAndy
09-12-2007, 07:20 PM
where are you located? I am northside, perhaps I could help?

BaitThrower
09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
southside!

Should it matter that both port and starboard light positive wires are soldered together and run into a single switch?

I can't see it being a problem given they are only low power devices and the switch should be just completing or isolating the circuit??

TheRealAndy
09-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Correct, it does not matter. Sounds like the your switchboard wiring might be wrong. Can you post a pic of the back of your switch board?

BaitThrower
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
pic attached. This is how it came wired out of the box. I just attach the light wires to any of the switches. but no matter what config, still cant get both anchor and navs to light at same time :(

bay_firey
09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
The two fused wires from the switch panel go to the positive on the battery

From one switch run a wire to the nav lights and then from the nav lights to the negative on the battery.

Then from a separate switch run a wire to the anchor light and then from the light to the negative on the battery

BLOOEY
09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Thats strange mate.It all sounds amd looks like its wired correctly.I'd be checking for a loose connection.Either active or neutral. Ben

Simmo2
09-12-2007, 09:46 PM
With LED lights it can be difficult to see if there is an earth or supply issue as they could operate on a wider range of voltage. (remember with a wire globe you knew when it was dim etc there was a problem!)

I'm sorta thinking 'earth' problem..... do any of those lights 'earth' them selves to the boat? (ie through a screw fitting/mounting bracket?)

The diagram below should work fine....

TheRealAndy
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Mark has got it right i'd say. Thw two wires with the fuses straight to the positive sie of the battery. The terminals with no connections (in the photo) are wired to the lights. Sounds like you may have the ground (negative) wires buggered up.

finga
10-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Good info given above.
Thanks fellas. :D
Seeing that your on the Southside and if you can't figure it out just give me a cooee and we'll sort the bugger out in a flash. (hopefully :-[)

BaitThrower
10-12-2007, 12:51 PM
bay firey, thats exactly how it was all done, but still problem.

Thanks for the other advice. I'll look into it more.
Just had my second son born this morning so I'm a bit buggered but will try sort it out sometime this week time permitting.

BaitThrower
10-12-2007, 01:13 PM
All red wires going to switch plate, all blacks to negative on battery. You think maybe the LED anchor light wires might be wrong way round from the factory? Or does it not matter with lights as such? As above, wont have time to look at it again for a few days so just throwing some possible "issues" out there.

Simmo2
10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
LED's should either not work at all or self destruct with incorrect polarity.

I just had this mad feeling that an earth issue could be making the boat hull 'positive', therefore negating potential differance for other devices...
Dunno mate, I'm waffling... Get Finga to pop around and it will be fixed in no time....

BaitThrower
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Problem solved!

Apparently was not a good connection between positive lead to switch and battery terminal. I re-adjusted it and all works fine now. 8-)
I also put the battery back on the charger overnight to ensure it was full :P

Thanks for all suggestions and advice. Now just to wire up the sounder to the switches but should be no problem there!