PDA

View Full Version : Furuno fcv-620 fine tuning

champion
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I own a Furuno 620 :Dand was just wanting some help in getting the best out of the unit, fine tuning it you could say.

I have read the manual, but i seem to find experience goes a long way.

It will be used in water depths from 10m to 100m.

Just any advice will go a long way so i can piece it together.

Thanks
Joe

seamonkey
09-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Champion

PM me your email address,,,I'll send you a tuning doc.

Cheers
Sm

champion
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks seamonkey,

has anyone else got any advice ?

or is there someone i can contact ?

thanks

Piscatory Pursuit
13-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Champion,
That tuning information Sea Monkey has is really good information. It will definitely help you out.
Good Luck!

champion
13-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Piscatory Pursuit (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=43484)

I just had a read of it !!!
looks like everything i was after.:D

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Piscatory Pursuit
14-12-2007, 01:42 AM
You are welcome Champion and thanks to Seamonkey for getting it to him. The information in these documents is from Furuno and is free to give to anyone you like. A guy on a another website gave it to me and I am happy to see so many people benefit from it.
Good Luck!

Dr Squid
14-12-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks seamonkey,

has anyone else got any advice ?

or is there someone i can contact ?

thanks

Talk to either Shane Beardmore or Mark "Chopper" Reid (don't worry, he's not that Chopper Reid :D) from Furuno Aust. Mark is the NSW sales rep, really know his stuff.

seamonkey
14-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I should just add that Piscatory passed it on to me...many thanks PP. Given the number I have sent out I would say the 620 is a very popular machine....if only I had one! Hope everyone is making good use of the info.

Cheers
Sm

Bonus
23-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Piscatory Pursuit, are there any notes for fine tuning a Furuno 585?
thanks Russell

seamonkey
23-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Bonus

The notes apply to the 585, 620 and even have relevance to the 6100/4100. The principle is the same with the Furuno's.

Cheers
SM

Bonus
23-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Seamonkey, how can I obtain a copy?
Thanks russ

Bonus
23-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Doubling up oh dear

marco
24-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Seamonkey, how can I obtain a copy?
Thanks russ

pm me your email and i'll send it on if you want

andrew&lucy
25-12-2007, 12:41 PM
russ if you need a hand you only need to ask me it mite cost you a couple beers...........andrew

Bonus
25-12-2007, 06:18 PM
andrew&lucy, I have just ordered a furuno585 and a raymarine435. Marco has sent some notes so see how I go with that and merry xmas to you both and thanks again Marco.
Russ

bludog
26-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Just got a 620 was hoping someone might be kind
enough to email me the tuning doc's????

please post and i will pm my details
Thanx
Bludog

Bonus
26-12-2007, 06:38 PM
bludog,pm me your email address and I will forward it to you.
Russ

Alan M cLean
31-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Marco,i just recently purchase the 620 also ,any chance on pm the fine tune spec's to me.

thanks
Al

marco
31-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Marco,i just recently purchase the 620 also ,any chance on pm the fine tune spec's to me.

thanks
Al

hi alan , you need to pm me your email as the files are to big to post on here

mark

pop_eye
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Re: Furuno fcv-620 fine tuning

Champion,
I have a furuno fcv-620, I am chasing a document on how to fine tune my unit aswell.

Ashleym
29-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Guys
Could I get a copy as well.
Regards
Ash

Burley_Boy
30-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Isn't there a site where this is available as a download?

whiting
18-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I've just bought a furuno 620 as well. Sorry to be a pain but could someone pass on the the "fine tuning" docs - I've search the net but haven't had much luck finding anything.

Thanks

Whiting

tenzing
18-02-2008, 09:33 PM
If whiting is allowed to be a pain, Then I'd like to be one too.
Any chance of getting the finr tuning docs . please.

Thanks

Brendan

Michael Sharp
25-02-2008, 08:03 AM
If anyone has any info on the 620 sound I would be greatfull if I could get hold of it, thank you

Michael Sharp
25-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Sounds like will could all use some help with tat sounder, hope It's not a lemon

Remus
25-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Would also appreciate a copy of the 620 fine tune documents
Thanks
Remus

goanna1
15-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi I also need a copy of the notes can you point me in the right direction would be much apreciated

Goanna

soggy1
15-12-2009, 08:50 PM
If these are still floating around it would be great to obtain a copy Thanks Soggy1:D

goanna1
16-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I did finf the bugger on this site on another forum before i bought mine but do you think i can find it now?????

Mrs Ronnie H
16-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Guys
Can I get a copy as well. Which one of you can i PM my email address to.

Ronnie

FNQCairns
16-12-2009, 06:28 PM
The document is downloadable from the Furuno site or at least it was.

cheers fnq

lampuki
16-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Add me to the list....I will go and look on the website now....but just incase, if the doco could be pmed to me aswell I would appreciate it.

Robbo_Townsville
17-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Tuning Furuno Sounders for optimal performance

Furuno sounders have been designed with the best in processing technology, meaning even the weakest signals are able to be displayed giving users real control on the picture quality in all depths the sounder is capable of. With over 50 years experience in building commercial grade performance and reliability into sounders and sonars, we will now show you how to make the most of it.

Firstly the sounder will have to be taken out of Auto mode, as we want to now control the gain, clutter and other processing features available. Here is a list of the features and a short description of their purpose that will be used to provide the best picture.

· Range

Range and Shift are the tools required to see depths on the screen. Essentially as depth changes the range must be increased or decreased to suit. Shift will allow movement within selected range scales. As with Furuno sounders range scales are adjustable, it is preferable to change them if necessary to suit common bottom fishing depths.

· Gain

This is the primary adjustment for sensitivity of the receiver. As a general rule the greater the depth the higher the gain setting and visa versa for shallower depths. If gain is set too low targets will be missed; too high and the screen will be cluttered and illegible. It is important to note that increasing gain will not generally increase output power to the transducer. Most sounders output the same power regardless of depth.

· Clutter

Found in the menu, clutter will make the most of Gain settings by eliminating the blue/yellow interference on the screen caused by our dense salty waters and turbid estuaries. It allows Furuno sounders to increase gain well past that of its competitors whilst maintaining a clean crisp screen with the best ability to show fish. The higher the number, the higher the degree of suppression.

Colour Erase

Depending on the model this will be in the menu for Greyscale, FCV-620 and FCV-585 models and on the keypad for FCV-600L and FCV-582L models. Similar in effect to clutter however it removes a level of signal from the processor so it is not displayed. Particularly useful for erasing weak echoes that are not required, Colour sounders have 16 or 8 levels depending on Hue choice whilst Greyscale have 4.

· TVG (Time Varied Gain)

In Greyscale sounders this is referred to as Deep Gain, and is under the menu key. FCV-600L and FCV-582L sounders have the TVG adjustment in the setup menu, whilst the FCV-1100L has it via the rotary knob on the keypad. The plotter/sounder combo’s have it in the sounder setup menu’s. TVG compensates for propagation attenuation of the sound waves reflected. Essentially it will equalize echo presentation throughout the water column so that targets of the same size appear in the same density in both shallow and deep water. It also reduces the effects of surface noise on the screen.

UTuning Guidelines

So how do the Commercial/Charter and Sport fishing communities get the best out of their Furuno sounders, we will give up the process involved keeping in mind it is applicable to all Furuno sounders.

1. Travel out to a common fishing ground and once drifting or anchored take the unit out of AUTO mode and have the display in Normal mode on 200 kHz. Now adjust range scale to get the bottom echo in the lower 2/3rds of the screen. As discussed if this is not possible due to the gap in a preset ranges adjust them to suit. Settings will more than likely be less than appropriate so don’t worry too much about the picture quality.
2. Now bring the Clutter and Signal level/Colour Erase back to their lowest setting or OFF for the Greyscale units. Notice the picture is still viewable on the right hand side of the screen to observe adjustments. At this point the advantages of Clutter and Signal level/Colour Erase are not being employed and essentially the quality of picture is directly related to the Gain level selected.

3. Adjust gain now back to its lowest setting and notice how weak the picture is (Even a powerful 600W RMS unit will demonstrate just how much amplification is involved in producing an ideal picture)! Increase it now to the point where clutter begins to occupy the screen. This is the point we want to focus on tuning, NOT reducing the Gain as with our competitors. Furuno’s processing technology will now remove the unwanted interference whilst providing superior target detection and deep water performance with the next steps.

4. Access CLUTTER through the menu and increase it incrementally observing changes in the picture on the right of screen. For the majority of bottom fisherman the point at which to stop is when the interference is all but cleared except for a light scattering of the weakest levels of signal.

5. Now increase the SIGNAL LEVEL/COLOUR ERASE in the same manner to clear the light scattering of interference and produce a perfectly tuned picture for that depth. Note: Increasing signal level/Colour Erase will make detection of prawn/cuttlefish etc difficult as they fall in the weaker signal groups.

6. So with the tuning done it is simply a case of changing range scales and increasing or decreasing gain to suit depth. Now that fish and fish schools are easy to identify experiment with the TVG or DEEP GAIN settings increasing them to observe changes in the upper water column on the screen.

The Furuno colour LCD sounders will respond best to tuning however good results can be achieved with the Greyscale range. Especially when operating at the limits of their respective fish finding ranges this process will show more targets and allow deeper performance capability.

Combined with Furuno’s SALT water designed transmit/receive circuitry and ability to sustain RMS output power in deep water this is why Furuno have won more awards for sounders and sonar than any other company in the market place today.

Michael Sharp
08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Joe would you be able to send me the fine tuning doc, thanks mate. my email address is michaelgsharp@bigpond.com

borryking
11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Not sure why people are still requesting this. If you Google "Furuno tuning" it is the first hit that comes up:

http://www.cruisecraft.com.au/electronics/furuno/PDF's/Furuno%20Tech%20Talk.pdf

Very handy tips though!

Nowahh
28-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Could you also send me a copy please.

Willo
30-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeh Guys
In the past Gary (Spaniardking) has posted some good info on this ..
Here is one Link I searched up from him

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=135790

Cheers Willo

tigerboy
31-07-2010, 01:39 PM
heys guys hope these two pages help http://www.sportfishingmag.com/electronics/electronics/hi-tech-transducers-1000083130.html

MY ALIBI
02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
You are welcome Champion and thanks to Seamonkey for getting it to him. The information in these documents is from Furuno and is free to give to anyone you like. A guy on a another website gave it to me and I am happy to see so many people benefit from it.
Good Luck!

hi there would you be so kind as to where i would get that info from as i to have fcv620:)

thanks
myalibi