PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 400C FF

aussie9
09-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Recently bought a new/old 17' boat that had a Humminbird ULTIMA fishfinder installed.
I would say it must have been one of the first Humminbird models made as there is no mention of that model on their site? I did pick up an operators manuel for it though

In the boat was a FUSO MF-160 paper-reel type "Echo Sounder" (with in-hull transducer) as well. No doubt the Humminbird's pre-desesor. I dont think this works. Maybe Noah had it in the ark and used all the paper.. Probably a great collectors item

To cut a long story short, I am looking at a Garmin 400C Fishfinder to start with and then coupling it up with a Gamin ?? Chartplotter next year.

Does anyone have a 400C or know what their performance is like. They are around the $550 mark. and seem to read ok from the Gamin site.

My son and I perservered with the ULTIMA around Peel over the W/end for a couple of small squire and cant wait to pull it out of the boat and replace it. It may be ok for freshwater operation or slower work...

This is a great forum and we are learning a fair bit getting back into fishing after being land-locked for 30 odd years.

Thanks guys

Aussie

polky
09-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Matey I have the Garmin 340c sounder, they are a good unit, gives up a lot of info Will be teaming it up with the garmin 525s plotter/sounder, Ive heard the 400c is even better.

disorderly
09-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Used one a couple of trips ago .Worked OK but has a tiny little 4 inch screen.
In that price bracket I'd spend around $650 delivered from Fishon marine for a raymarine ds500x.
That extra inch makes all the difference.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

davo
09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Get one from GPS discount in the USA. Two blokes at work got their's for less than $400

aussie9
11-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks for your comments guys.

I'll let you know what the final decision ends up being.