PDA

View Full Version : CDMA On or OFF?

Chimo
09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Telstra just sent me a text telling me to get a new phone as they are turning CDMA off on 28 Jan 2008:o Then Harvey Norman sent me another one telling me to uprade my CDMA to any 24 month plan and get a free Cannon digital camera. Who the hell is sleeping with whom these days?>:(

I thought they had been ordered to keep CDMA till the replacement provided equivalent coverage.

Whats going on?

Is this an outcome of the Kev 07 thing or what?

Does anyone have any information of this apparent change?
Also does Harvey Norman have shares in Telstra or is it vice versa?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Chimo

robbo77
09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Chimo i use a next G phone and i dont seem to have to many problems out where i work. I know of people that still get better coverage with there old nokia cdma in places where the next G drops out. I would say get one cause they have so much to offer if ya get into all that stuff but for making calls and basic stuff im happy with the one that i have.

Andrew

seamonkey
09-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Chimo

Go onto whirlpool.net.au and find the forums. Look on the Mobile Carrier forum. These people sit around talking Telecoms all day and are generally in the know.

its a shame there's nothing like that for fishing :P
SM

Chimo
09-12-2007, 02:58 PM
HI SM

interesting site

So whats the pick Next G Phone to look at if one must., as far as;

Coverage
Value
Cheap Plans
Other Features (Do these things have cameras etc?)
Anything else you can suggest

I really miss the old rotary dial handsets and before that, the telephonists at the exchange that you talked to and gave a list of people you wanted to talk to and they basically queued them up for you. Them was the days!

Cheers
Chimo
GOM (If you hadn't guessed)

PeterInSA
09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Chimo,
Last month you could have received a free GPS Navigator from Hardly Normal, I don't need another Digital Camera. I want a phone with large keyboard like my CDMA preferably from Nokia, who don't have one, the phone should be a medium size unit to fit on my belt as per the ZTE 165 which I am told is not well made an will probably not last thru the 2 year contract period at $30 per month. The phone that I get, needs to be able to be connected to a Broom stick aerial which unfortunately the Nokia 6120 is a non starter ( and too small as well).

My current CDMA phone has lasted 8 years I am not sure that Nokia's slide phone or their flip phone will last anywhere near that long.

At the moment I plan to sit on the fence and see how the reports on the 165 go, and if not suitable maybe even fire up one of my childrens cast off phones with a prepaid sim card and wait until something better comes along.

Peter

FNQCairns
09-12-2007, 03:19 PM
HI SM

interesting site

So whats the pick Next G Phone to look at if one must., as far as;

Coverage
Value
Cheap Plans
Other Features (Do these things have cameras etc?)
Anything else you can suggest

I really miss the old rotary dial handsets and before that, the telephonists at the exchange that you talked to and gave a list of people you wanted to talk to and they basically queued them up for you. Them was the days!

Cheers
Chimo
GOM (If you hadn't guessed)

I guess if they cannot lock the numbers of people into the next G then they cannot turn the cdma off -would be a good thing! Telstra and low grade behaviour go hand in hand, have not spent a cent with them by free choice for lot's of years and I never will given the free choice.

Didn't Telstra just get done in the high court for misleading behaviour over N-G just another bunch of silver spoon crooks facilitated by the former federal government, will take many years for the commumity to shake loose the abuses that government was involved in.

We still have a rotary phone for use after a cyclone, or blackouts, my 3.5yo daughter couldn't work out how to dial without buttons, wish I had the patent on buttons:D

cheers fnq

jtpython
09-12-2007, 03:55 PM
just got a new 3 g Nokia 6120 thru work i had both before digital and CDMA and the 3g works better then both and the Nokia 6120 great and easy to use so am pretty happy with it.
Jt

aussie9
09-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Chimo

I upgraded from a CDMA mobile to a 3 Phone a couple of years back and they seem to be better tyan the CDMA ....imho.

The 3 network roams & uses whatever carrier is in service. Their plans are cheap as and their phones seem to be ok. cameras and the usual plus you can have option packs that include SKY Channel (Harness Trainer as well as boaty).

Great coverage anywhere in the bay from Moreton to Gold Coast at least.

Cheers

Simmo2
09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I might be outa line here, but I think they will stick to their guns and turn cdma off. The shared towers etc are affecting G and without cdma G's potential will be realised......
Dont flame me!!! Its just my crystal ball telling me things!

oldboot
09-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I recon they will be turning off CDMA bang on date........ they did with analogue.

I've had a telasra nextG for about 9 months & at the time the choice of hand sets wasnt good......Igot the motorola flip.....& it seems to be fine....motorala seem to have the flip sorted ...... though I would prefer a rigid phone.

the coverage seems to be significantly better than digital......from reports from mates CDMA is rubbish on the coast anyway...... certainly not flash in the city.

cheers

snelly1971
09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I have just purchased an LG 3 Phone...they are available with an external...9db aerial...for my boat which gives me great coverage down here...We usually have crap coverage...my cdma wasnt too bad but the new 3 gives me a lot wider civerage...especially with the plug in aerial

Mick

mik01
10-12-2007, 07:46 AM
i worked for years for the big T and a couple of mobile dealers, and was around when analogue was turned off at telstra. the same arguments about cdma were going on as this next g - poor coverage, network not quite 'right' when turned on etc.

The big T will turn cdma off when planned (as long as there is no govt interference) and it won't be 100% operational when they do - same as cdma. it will take a few years to iron out the wrinkles and there will be some that will be screwed where their next g doesn't work where cdma used to. T won't care.

I've been out of the game for a few years now, but you might be able to ask your dealer or T shop for a loan next g handset to trial for a couple of days to make sure it works for you (assuming they either transfer your number off your cdma onto the loan handset or provide you with a live loan model which is rare).

all I can tell you is that if you xfer from cdma to next g and next g doesn't give you coverage or is poor, T will not give a rat's and you will be most unhappy. having said that, there should be some good deals to move to next g direct from T just before they turn it off - they usually operate an outound calling team to 'round up' the cdma stragglers and convince them to make the move before it is switched off.

ps - 3 was absolutely shocking when it launched. they are all the same - 'get it up and running and deal with issues as we go' seems to be the attitude. its all about faster return on investment etc.

btw - I'm not really a T advocate, but I do have an O mobile provided by work and compared to gsm T networks I've used for years, T is definitely a better coverage. My wife has a T mobile simply because I know the coverage is better.

deadbeatloser
10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Telstra just sent me a text telling me to get a new phone as they are turning CDMA off on 28 Jan 2008:o Then Harvey Norman sent me another one telling me to uprade my CDMA to any 24 month plan and get a free Cannon digital camera. Who the hell is sleeping with whom these days?>:(

I thought they had been ordered to keep CDMA till the replacement provided equivalent coverage.

Whats going on?

Is this an outcome of the Kev 07 thing or what?

Does anyone have any information of this apparent change?
Also does Harvey Norman have shares in Telstra or is it vice versa?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Chimo
chimo your are correct, it was annouced 2months ago that telstra cannot close down cdma until there is equivelent coverage provided buy the current system.
or face the wrath of the goverment......................

robersl
10-12-2007, 07:06 PM
if you have pre paid phone you need to buy a new phone but if you are on contrct i think they provide you with a new phone when you take your old on to telstra shop