PDA

View Full Version : Sashimi?

GazzaB
08-12-2007, 05:08 PM
hi everyone i love sashimi and know that tuna makes great sashimi but I was wondering what other fish that we get in south Queensland area that would be great straight fresh off the boat?
thanks gazza

ffejsmada
08-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Giant Trevally's not too bad.

Leighton
08-12-2007, 06:01 PM
snapper is awesome, same with king fish

disorderly
08-12-2007, 07:21 PM
spanish mac is a lovely sushi fish if used in the first 24 hours after capture .It tends to go a bit mushy after that.

jtpython
09-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Small cobia are great too being of firm white flesh able to cut it thinly
I like it thin thin
JT

cameron walker
12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
I caught a yellowfin tuna at murphys last week it was very tastey even without soy and wasabi.Another great fish is pearl perch good to snack on while filleting and having a beer.Have tried tailor before:P not good!

sleepygreg
12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Gazza,

Snapper, whiting, trevally, any of the tunas (except stripeys), bream, squid, kingfish, small cobes, pearlies, trout,..........in fact any of the firm white fleshed fish and the fast pelagics.......secret is to put em in an ice slurry for an hour or so first to firm up the flesh...then cut thin. I always carry soy and wasabi in the boat in case the situation arises......enjoy!

Cheers

Greg

tully
13-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I have been told that the plain old blurter (silver trevalley) is the most prized by the Japanese as sashimi.
Have always wondered if they do anything to tuna served in restruants as sashimi. It seems semi transparant (yellowfin tuna) and melts in your mouth.
When I catch tuna and try to prepare it it's very bloody flesh and have never liked it cooked or otherwise.

tidemaster
13-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Moses sea perch are real nice too. Got to ice em down a bit first but they slice up nice and thin and the taste is to die for

Leighton
13-12-2007, 04:52 PM
A mate of mine says, fresh Mack Tuna is the best with soy and wasabai. Crab bait to me

sleepygreg
13-12-2007, 10:55 PM
the secret is icing it down......have to get rigormortice setting......if its too fresh it is mushy. Your right about the trevally.....im originally from sydney.....winter time offshore was trevally season............and the silvers are Prime Sashimi. The best parts of flesh to take are the shoulder fillet and the belly flap.........stay well clear of the bloodline.......use the tail and under fillets for other cooking methods. And kill your fish quick....if they flap around on the deck it bruises the flesh and makes it mushy and strong fishy taste. Use a brain spike.....Ike Jimi....or if al else fails use a priest (hardwood donger) to administer last rites. Mahi Mahi also make great sashimi.......but ya gotta knock em on the head real quick. Quality sashimi is all about the handling and preparation.........not that hard....but you have to be quick about it.

Cheers

Greg

sleepygreg
13-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Macks are ok.....but after ya knock em on the head...cut the gills and bleed em.

sleepygreg
13-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Tully....if its semi transparent....its not yellowfin tuna........even though y/fin has a low blood content in the flesh if killed quickly...it is still really pink......its more likely albacore.....which IMHO is better than yellowfin....though the japanese market disagree. The japs will pay $1000 a kg for prime Y/fin or Big Eye tuna if it is treated in the way i have described.

Cheers

Greg

kingkev
14-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I reckon that being in S E queensland, trevally is the go and if the little SCAD or Yellowtail are biting they make an excellent sashimi. We used to catch scads/yellwtail off the sandpumping jetty SOUTHPORT, Gold Coast and take a fillet off straight away and dip in a bottle of soy. GREAT

cameron walker
18-12-2007, 11:43 AM
My yellow fin tuna was semi transparent.My fishing ptner is an ex fisheries he showed me how to prep. After capture spike brain cut small hole from anus up not all the way ,cut above gills and remove all internalls including guills by makeing use of both cuts.blood will be everywere as the heart will keep pumping as you remove guts,put into ice slurry when blood is out. To stop bruiseing we tied the tail to a rope and hung it in water while spiking.Fair bit of trouble but when we were filleting i was eating the meat behind the head,delish.

Noelm
19-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I always wondered why you people do not cook your fish! sashimi I think is a tad over rated and more for the "just have to do it 'cause it's trendy" set! don't see too many eating raw Sausages or Lamb Chops, or maybe even a raw Pork Leg for Christmas instead of a Ham.

disorderly
19-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I always wondered why you people do not cook your fish! sashimi I think is a tad over rated and more for the "just have to do it 'cause it's trendy" set! don't see too many eating raw Sausages or Lamb Chops, or maybe even a raw Pork Leg for Christmas instead of a Ham.

Noel,
I'm guessing you dont like your steak still kicking(rare).
I'm with you on this one and I have tried sashimi prepared by a Japanese guy who stayed with us for a couple of months.
We ate many types of fish raw and the only way I liked it is when vege's and rice are added and its wrapped in seaweed.
As sushi rolls dipped in soy and wasabi its delicious.

I think the sashimi thing might just be the primal caveman manifesting itself in us great white hunters.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

I'd much rather see a return of the medieval trend of a mug of beer in one hand ,a half raw and bloody leg of pork or lamb in the other and a couple of scantily clad wenches by my side for a dinner feast.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

Noelm
19-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't mind a pinkish steak, but I do not really go for sashimi, even though it does not repulse me or anything, I just dont see the sense in eating perfectly good fish raw!, but to each their own!

Noelm
19-12-2007, 12:25 PM
OH and the Pink Steak would be heaps tastier with the scantily clad Wenches and the mug of Beer! for that I would even eat Sashimi!

GazzaB
20-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't mind a pinkish steak, but I do not really go for sashimi, even though it does not repulse me or anything, I just dont see the sense in eating perfectly good fish raw!, but to each their own!

and i dont see the sense in cooking perfectly good fresh fish, but then again i do like my steak blue so maybe its just me!:P
thanks garry

kingkev
21-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Im with Gazza. No point in cooking the hell out of something as fresh as sashimi grade fish. My wife is Japanese and everytime we go back to Tokyo I visit the Tsukiji fish market (second biggest in the world) and outside the market their are sushi restauarants....................the freshest and most delicious Tuna etc you can ever eat. A sahimi cut of tuna can vary and the japanese sell 4 grades with the marbled effect (ie lots of fat) the top grade.

I am a sushi and sashimi convert