PDA

View Full Version : Which Motor?

thebigblue
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi after some advise, have been looking at a new boat and came accros Trophy Fishing Boats/Walkaround Fishing Boats 2002 which I liked the look of on www.boatsplus.com.au (http://www.boatsplus.com.au/) but this model has six different engine options. Any Suggestions would be appreciated and any reports on the hull.

Mercury® OptiMax (135 HP) - Std
Mercury® 4-Stroke Verado (135 HP) - Opt
Mercury® 4-Stroke Verado (150 HP) - Opt
Mercury® 4-Stroke Verado (175 HP) - Opt
Mercury® EFI (150 HP) - Opt
Mercury® OptiMax (150 HP) - Opt
Mercury® OptiMax (175 HP) - Opt

thinking of getting the 4-Stroke Verado (150 HP)
any advise would be appreciated Cheers

mirage
06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
That's a solid 6.5m boat. I'd go one of the 175hp options, especially if you are going to do some family skiing or tubing. If you're only ever going fishing then the 150's would be fine. As to which one 4stk or opti, they're both good. Personal choice there. Good luck.

FNQCairns
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I don' have the interest too keep up with all of the individual differences these days but if I were buying an engine one of my final considerations would be to find out if the engine was actually the same block as the HP below. These days the HP rating has a lot of variablity compared to what was actualy advertised on the cowl, also they can now using magic (computer controlled parameters, boost. timing, max fuel supply regardless of demand) all alter the hp at the prop.

You get nothing extra without first somewhere takeing something else away and when combined with dodgee claimed HP final ratings......

cheers fnq