PDA

View Full Version : Matrix 12 no good on planing

malcolmharris@bigpon
05-12-2007, 12:10 PM
New Blue Fin 5.2 Bowrider, humm. matrix 12 with gps , not working when planing. Told by sale yard ," the norm on ally boats", hard to believe.
Any advice on that,
thanks, Mal.

the gecko
05-12-2007, 12:17 PM
My matrix 27 is always playing up while planing in my Allycraft. I checked the transducer, and it was loose, so I tightened it up. This improved things a little, but it still plays up whenever Im over 12 kts. You get used to it. Im interested to hear how many other allys have this problem too.

Andrew

Poseidon
05-12-2007, 12:42 PM
It may need to have the back end of the transducer bent downwards slightly. Or the whole transducer may not be deep enough either.

I have the rear of my transducer bent downwards and have no problem reading bottom upto 50klm/hr. If the transducer is put back to flat in the water I can't read bottom at any real speed. It takes a bit of playing around but you should find the best spot eventually.

Flex
05-12-2007, 03:51 PM
My matrix 12 wont read correctly on the plane either

FNQCairns
05-12-2007, 04:49 PM
It's a pain, light boats like pressed tinnys funnel a lot of air down their length because they ride higher for the speed, the multiple strakes pressed into the bottom sheet funnel air and create turbulence also.

Glass boats and some plate boats with minimal strakes get the chance to squeeze a lot of the air out before reaching the transducer.

I have the same problem but with Furuno, only good choice if it is already placed and angled well is to go deeper with it in the hope of missing some of the turbulence and air.

Another idea is to totally disregard the 'rules for transucer placement' and place it as close to the centre line of the hull as possible (and sensible), turbulence will still be a problem but air funneled the length of the hull air will be reduced compared to a position closer to the side.

cheers fnq

TheSaint
05-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I had a 717 on my old hornet, the newer model of the matrix 17 & the model up from the matrix 12 & it wouldn't read on the plane either but i never used it for that just the GPS when i was on the plane..

angler1
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
i have a matrix 17 and had the same problem. i lowered the transducer well below the normal level and seem to make a big differance, can get on the plane now and it doesnt cut out.