PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Seaswirl, Wellcraft or Pro-Line?

leezor
05-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Hi all,

Have been given the go ahead from the finance minister to an upgrade. Spent the last few weeks looking through what is available on the used boat market here in Australia and havn't been able to find what I want within budget.
So, have decided to get something in from the US. With so many choices of 23ft walkaraounds over there and not being able to actualy see them in the flesh, it sure makes the decision difficult.
Anyway, have narrowed it down to either a Seaswirl Striper 2300/2301, Wellcraft Coastal 24 or a Pro-Line 23 Walkaraound.
The plan is the fit my 07 225hp Suzuki to the boat once it arrives, then sell my SF20 with the engine from the import.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these boats, be it good bad whatever?

Thanks,

Lee

Chimo
05-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Might be worth asking Boatboy50 as he has had a few Seaswirls etc and possibly could give you some info.

Cheers
Chimo

leezor
05-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Hey Chimo,

Have spoken to Darren, he has given me some good feedback on the Striper. The Striper is my prefered choice so far but am keeping my options open at this stage.
Lee

rocksberg6
05-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi Leezor. I've got a wellcraft eclipse 250, very nice boat and very light for its size. what i have noticed about Wellcraft is the finish is quite bit superior and the whole package was alot more user freindly to other boats i was looking at in the same price range. But then again this is only my opinion. I suppose it all depends on personal taste.

Troy

Noelm
05-12-2007, 07:32 AM
I thin out of your choices then the Seaswirl is the way to go, the others are a tad more "budget" in their build quality, but still OK.

Getout
05-12-2007, 07:34 AM
The Striper looks the goods to me. I always drool over them at the boatshows.

PinHead
05-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I will be collecting my new Striper 1850 WA in the next few days...the bigger ones are nice but coming down from a larger boat I did not want to have to get a new tow vehicle to buy the 2301. I am happy with the build quality of the boat.

check on the import and freight costs..not cheap to do that...my boat (the previous one) was $23000 for freight and port costs 21/2 years ago..not sure what it would be now.

sid_fishes
05-12-2007, 06:12 PM
lee mate , if the striper is what you want, then just get it as you know you will be thinking all the time ,, did i make the right choice. it looks like a bloody nice boat. ps does that trip out with you still stand, might have to take it up now cheers ian

boatboy50
05-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Lee,

Forget about the prolines. In that age era they have had a lot of drama with soft transoms and poor design. They also utilise a cut down transom which will not suit your uses, as they easily take water over the transom.

The older Wellcrafts (like your pic 96-2000), are not all that good either. They are comparitively small boats for their model numbers, and poor designs and poor use of space (engine wells ect). The only Wellcraft I would consider comparable are the 230 and 250 walkaround built after about 2001/02.

Just do it, the Seaswirls are great and you won't regret it.

Check on your import costs (have you spoken to Tim or Cheryl), as i'm sure they are almost astronomical by now.

Keep me updated.

Regards

Darren

leezor
05-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Darren, have been quoted around $20k for import costs, but am allowing an extra $5k for incidentals as like you have said, as there will be extrra fees no doubt.
Still should be able to get one landed here for around $50k AUD.
The 22ft Pro-Lines had the walk through style transom, however the 23ft version has a similar layout to the Striper (see pic). I also emailed Pro-Line regarding their transoms and floors, and they advised that no timber has been used since 1996/97.

Ian, most definately mate, I still owe you a trip :)

Lee

Luke G
05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Have you looked at a 235 Boston Whaler Conquest?

boatboy50
05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Lee,

Do search on thehulltruth, there is quite a few guys who have had all sorts of rot in Prolines of that era. A few people also think they ride fairly hard. In the states the Pro's are classed as a more budget boat, like the trophies. I have seen a few prolines before I bought the Swirls and wasn't impressed. Tim is now the Aussie importer.

Have a good look into the Trophies also, because although they don't have a good rep in the states, I actually quite like the 2002 + trophies. They are quite a good boat, which you will pick up for decent prices, and have some change compared to a Swirl.

Luke, the Bostons are well overpriced, and the same dollars as a Swirl won't even go close to buying one.

I still look at the US Swirl prices, and they havn't dropped on bit in the past four years, even with the current US economics.

What year, engine, price, options have you found within the budget so far? Under 25k US doesn't seem to buy anything newer than 02 last time I looked.

Regards

Darren

leezor
05-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Darren, 2000/2001 will probably be the latest model my budget will stretch to, but most likely a 99 model like your old one. Not really that worried about the year though as it will be getting repowered once it arrives.
Pity your old one wasn't within my budget, would just buy that one so I could have it before Xmas :)

boatboy50
05-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Lee,

Did you see the one for $15k US with the Honda Auxilary?

It has gone under contract but would have been a great buy for you.

There is another one for about the same money too at the moment, but not as good.

I will have a chat to the owner of my old boat. What's the max budget?

Regards

Darren

leezor
05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Darren, PM sent

pilchardjones
07-12-2007, 08:33 AM
lee,
i am interested to hear how you go with this process as i think my next upgrade will be to a seaswirl 2301 or something along those lines. that would be my pick out of the 3 nominated, but i guess that is a lot to do with the fact that the seaswirl is the only one i have seen in the flesh.
a mate of a mate has a biger one (2901 i think) left in the breakwater marina and i think he is very happy, but the only criticism was the very small anchor well size. not suitable for fishing 50m shoals.
i still have your number so i'll give you a call to have a chat.
steve

leezor
07-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Steve, the Seaswirl is the only one of these I have seen in the flesh also. Had a look at a 2601 with twin 200hp Optimax, big boat for a 26ft. It was in a shed along side a 680 Patriot in South Townsville, the Haines looked tiny compared to the Striper. Bit out of my price range at $90 odd k tho.
Maybe we can catch up for a xmas beer, I owe you one anyway :).

Cheers,

Lee

snappa
07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
they all catch fish ///

Oog.
07-12-2007, 08:07 PM
lee,
i am interested to hear how you go with this process as i think my next upgrade will be to a seaswirl 2301 or something along those lines. that would be my pick out of the 3 nominated, but i guess that is a lot to do with the fact that the seaswirl is the only one i have seen in the flesh.
a mate of a mate has a biger one (2901 i think) left in the breakwater marina and i think he is very happy, but the only criticism was the very small anchor well size. not suitable for fishing 50m shoals.
i still have your number so i'll give you a call to have a chat.
steve
Steve, surely you are not turfing "the Bella " allready :'(
Ross

pilchardjones
08-12-2007, 02:52 PM
no definately not oog,
its always nice to think what the next upgrade might be to though.
it would be a way way off.
steve

Pearso
18-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Just sent you a PM.