PDA

View Full Version : Motor question

Tailortaker
03-12-2007, 09:38 PM
G'day All, A mate of mine is about to pick up a tinnie from his parents property but the boat and motor has not been touched for about 18 months, it has been sitiing under a tree for all that time collecting leaves. The motor is roughly about a 2000 model 15hp merc 2 stroke with about 15-20hrs use. Should he simply add fresh fuel and start it or take a few precautions with it since it has been sitting for so long considering fuel was probably left in it. Thanks for any advice.
Cheers TT

kitch76
03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm not a mechanic but I'd be popping the spark plug out gently pulling the starter to make sure the piston isn't seized, wouldn't hurt spraying a bit of lube (WD40) in the bore before starting either, also while the plug is out wack her in gear and spin the prop by hand to make sure the gearbox is still nice ond smooth. best bet though take it to have it professionally serviced.

Roughasguts
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
TT, I would drain the fuel from the float bowls in the carbs hook up some fresh fuel and pump that through with the fuel bulb primer letting the fuel run out every where.

Also remove the plugs and squirt some 50/50 fuel oil down the in through the spark plug holes and then crank the motor over a few times make sure the dead mans lanyard is pulled out, don't need any sparks at this stage.

Put clean plugs in.

Then de grease the motor and wash down with soapy water.

Start her up and let her warm up watch for the water pump working and spraying out the pee hole with in about 30 seconds.

After it's first trip then check the gearbox oil for water leaks and contamination.

New oil and new seals I use thread sealer to keep the water out, and she should be ready to go.

2DKnBJ
03-12-2007, 10:13 PM
G'day TT
Doubt the motor would be seized but this is what i would do.
Pull plug out and turn motor by hand using flywheel.
Drop bowl off carbie and check for any crap as this is where it will settle when not used for a long period.
Change gearbox oil.
Replace plug with a new one.
With the motor having very little hours on it i doubt there will be a problem.Would be wise to do a trip or 2 with another boat just in case.

Cheers Dazza

polky
04-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Matey keep an eye on your teltale, no doubt your impellor will be rs. Polky.

PADDLES
04-12-2007, 07:29 AM
yep, do the regular 2s checks as above but definitely check the impeller, those little suckers will go hard with a bit of time.

Noelm
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
18 months is not all that long for a sort of newish Motor, just dump any fuel in the tank, replace and give it a try!