PDA

View Full Version : Controller Problems. Suggestions Please

Cheech
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Not sure what to do next. I have a Yamaha 703 controller (push push , if you know what I mean). This is on a Yamaha 150 1995 2 stroke.

Since I bought the boat, the controller has been very stiff. Goes in to gear ok, but it is in the upper (second half of travel) travel of the controller that it gets really stiff. So much so that you really have to lean on the controller to get any travel.

There are 3 key parts. The motor linkages, the cable, and the controller itself. On the weekend I pulled the back off the controller and gave it a cleanout and grease. No difference.

So today I swapped over the 2 cables to see if it was that. No. is just the same. The accelerator was still stiff, and the gearbox engagement was good.

The linkages at the motor run free and smooth as well.

When I disconnect the linkages at the motor, the controller is still a bit stiff, but a lot better. When I disconnect the cables at the controller the controller is pretty good.

So independently all 3 factors appear to be ok, but just not in combination.

I am thinking it may be the controller, that when under load the parts are just not meshing smoothly. Though they do look like they are not overly worn.

so, where to next. I do not want to spend hundreds on a new controller to find it is ok. Even to have my mobile mechanic swing round to take a look, that would still cost hundreds. And I do not want to buy new cables as they seem ok due to the switch test I did.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheech

Spaniard_King
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Replace the control cables from control box to the engine, make sure you use "premium cables and have minimla bends in the cable but definitley have a big loop going into the engine. Cheech this is a comon fault with cables over 2 years old :)

Cheech
04-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks Garry. Ok, will change them. Just did not make sense that when I switched them over that the other cable had the same problem. Maybe the previous owner had done the same as me and already done a switch.

Cheech

Cheech
04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Next question. Where do you buy them? I tried googling and only really found mail order. I want to go an pick one up today. North side preferably.

Noelm
04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Any Yamaha Dealer will have them, make sure you get the length from the old one!

BM
04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Cheech,

The 703 control box is a fairly robust unit (like most control boxes) and as such don't really suffer too many problems.

If the linkages are free at the engine end (as stated) then I would be replacing the control cables. How free are the cables? Is there any friction at all when moving the inner? There should be almost none.

If your engine has been rigged like most modern engines are, ie: no loop in the control cables, they simply route straight into the engine, then the cables will usually fail in a short period of time. This is because the bending load is taken right at the point where the cable enters the engine. Sure this method of rigging looks aesthetically pleasing but its bad news for cables. Or good news for cable sellers.

There are numerous aftermarket cables available too which are very good. Get in touch with someone up there who has a BLA account (Grand Marlin does) or if you wished I could arrange them on my account and have them freighted direct from the Bris office. Cables will be typically about $60+ aftermarket or $100+ genuine (depending on the grade of cable you want). The choice obviously is yours :)

Cheers,

Nicholas

Cheech
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the offer Nicholas. I picked up a set of premium cables yesterday from Sundown Marine. $70.00 per cable.

Garry, you were right on the money. When I tested it after fitting the new cables it was way better than I had hoped for. Smooth as anything and slides in and out of gear heaps better as well.

Thanks again for your advice. Ausfish comes through yet again.

Cheech