PDA

View Full Version : do kids count as half

lifestyle
03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
G day all, I will be looking at buying a new boat next year some time. I have 3 kids age between 3and a half to 6 weeks old. Can i take 5 people in a boat that has a manufactures capacity label for 4 eg. seajay 4.15 or is my only option the quintrex wb dory which has a label of 5people? that is my wife 3 kids and my self. So do kids count as half a person.

charleville
03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Some one with real knowledge may offer an educated opinion but I think that the boat capacity rules are based on an assumption that the average person on board weighs 70 kg.

Best to check that at the Qld Transport site, maybe.

Kleyny
03-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Good question.
They also have a weight capacity that you also have to take into concideration.
for eg the label says 4 persons at an estimate of 70kg so if you can only put two people that weigh 140kg. IMO i dont think you could take 4 persons at 120kgs.
If was me in this predicament i would ring the persons who enforce/ investigate the laws and see what they say. (sytraight from the horse mouth) Dont forget to get the officers name so if it ever come to heads you can quote names.

neil
Go the dory anyway I've got the 4.6 and couldnt be happier

kingtin
03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Under 12's are classed as half adult providing you are within the weight regs. If you have 35k to spare, that doesn't mean that you can stick another kid in there (according to what I was told when I had the foster kids).

ie If the capacity label says 4 adults, that could mean 2 adults and 4 under 12's providing that you comply weightwise....if you come in at 35 kilo under weight with that load, it doesn't mean that you can stick another under 35kilo kid in there.

kev

jtpython
03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Yep i have label for 7 i have 6 kids between the wife and i , hers mine and ours and no problems with all of us in boat like kev said under 12 is half an adult
The main thing is to have the children wearing life jackets if you are under the specified limit with no cabin and enuff life jackets in the boat.
JT

kingtin
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
The main thing is to have the children wearing life jackets if you are under the specified limit with no cabin and enuff life jackets in the boat.

JT

And very importantly the jackets must be size appropriate.............not only from a safety point of view but also with legal aspects taken into consideration. Due to the knobhead leaving Moreton with his littlies and then running out of fuel a while ago, the authorities are shit hot now on kids wearing kids jackets and not wearing adult jackets and vice versa.

kev

lifestyle
03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks to all you people for your replys . Happy fishing/ boating

kitch76
03-12-2007, 10:16 PM
A little bit of info I only found out a week ago,

Compulsory wearing of life jackets
It is compulsory to wear a life jacket:

when crossing a coastal bar in an open boat that is less than 4.8 m in length.
if you are under the age of 12 in an open boat that is less than 4.8 m in length, while it is under way. (DRifting included)

charleville
07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
And very importantly the jackets must be size appropriate.............not only from a safety point of view but also with legal aspects taken into consideration. Due to the knobhead leaving Moreton with his littlies and then running out of fuel a while ago, the authorities are shit hot now on kids wearing kids jackets and not wearing adult jackets and vice versa.

...and so they should be, Kev. :)

kingtin
07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
...and so they should be, Kev. :)

Too true Charlie. I'm a strong believer in the individual right to "self-endangerment" via sport but unfortunately, some who take up that right, tend to endanger others also, either via exceeding capabilities or "bending rules".

You can go down the broadwater any weekend and see 3 yr olds with no flotation, or some a little older wearing adult flotation. My biggest cringe is the tiny tots sat with half their bodies under the bow rail whilst dad/mum drives at full pelt. A sudden unforseen halt and those poor little buggers are gonners. There should be a blitz on it, or at the least, a tv ad campaign.

kev

Dirtysanchez
07-12-2007, 01:54 PM
My biggest cringe is the tiny tots sat with half their bodies under the bow rail whilst dad/mum drives at full pelt. A sudden unforseen halt and those poor little buggers are gonners. There should be a blitz on it, or at the least, a tv ad campaign.

kev

100% agree Kev. My son has his own pfd, correct for his size / weight, but one time up at Hervey bay my mate was driving the dory and god knows why, he went into the ramp way too fast. Before I could get to the front to grab Josh we hit and luckily he just ended up in the front well area, as opposed to hammering his little head against the bow rail area :-[

He was pretty upset which is understandable and had a bump on his head, but not as upset as I was at my mate.. He was lucky I didn't tear his head off >:(

A lesson was learnt, and Josh sits with me now if we are launching or landing. He used to like to sit up front like a big boy, thats not gonna happen until he is in his teens now.

Nico.d.R
08-12-2007, 08:25 AM
i have the same problem i have three kids and a wife and my boat is plated for 4 adults . My 7 year old and i went out to mud I. on my brother inlaws 17f sportsman craft and fisheries were saying my son did not need his jacket on because it was a open boat . I could not understand there lodgic as it would still be easy for him to go overboard . I feel safer having them in a jacket anyway it may be a bit uncomfy but its a hell of a lot safer for the young ones .