PDA

View Full Version : What boat to buy?

TheRealAndy
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I am in the market for a boat. I am not in a hurry and am happy to spend a fair bit of time to find the right boat. I am hoping to get some help or perhaps suggestions on where to go and what to look for. I prefer new, or close to new and my budget is variable. Wife seems to like the boats that are around the 80k mark but there is no way in hell that I will spend that much at this stage, perhaps 40-50k at the very max. I would like to spend less, but I dont fancy my chances. If I can pick up a good deal with a second hand boat that would be great, as I am not 100% sure about what I really want.

Intended usage is mainly for the moreton bay, with the odd trip offshore with the boys. IT would be nice if you could spend a night in it, so perhaps a half cab if you can still buy them? And if its a half cab whats the chances of getting up creeks (might by a small tinnie for this) to do a bit of crabbing? Also, glass V aluminium? I am sure that is a ford v holden debate, but would be nice to hear all the good and bad points.

Any tips would be great as I am a sailer, not a power boatie :) Would love to stay in the trailer yachts but its just not practical when you only have 1.5 days to spare in a weekend once a month. I have plenty of water time (25odd years!) , so not new to boats, dont hold back!

TheRealAndy
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Forgot to mention, mate is an aluminium boat builder, so home made is not out of the question either. So if anyone knows of some good plans for a solid plate boat then happy to hear that too.

bustastu
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I've always been a fan of Haines Hunter boats and they have a very good reputation of being good sea handling boats with their pdv hulls. A fitted out 580 Breeze will set you back between 55 - 60k and if your wife has a say in things, a 600R or a 650 Classic will set you back 65k - 85k. I can vouch for the 580 Breeze, a good alrounder boat but a little more fishing room is always nice. They all have 2 good size bunks that you could spend a night or two in and normally a smoother ride in a fibreglass boat. Check out their web site or boatpoint. Happy hunting...

deadbeatloser
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
m8 if your not in a hurry wait for the boat show so you can suss them all out in one week end??? gives you sum time to do a bit of homework, have a look at typhoon boats very safe?

MR C OTTER
09-12-2007, 12:48 PM
hi mate i know were there is a brand new 2007 joshua 6.5 mt centre cab with 10 hours on it .around 60 k see ya

Chimo
09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi TRA

I've often wonderered about these as a dual purpose boat to boat sail and use as a motor boat with accomodation for not too much $

I assume one can drop the mast easily and for fishing leave it at home and use the motor.

They do 20 kn and plane so why not fish in it too.

What do you think, totally impractial or not?::)

Cheers
Chimo

PS http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2229320