PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trim

Horse
02-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I have a 17' Oceaneer centre console with a 90 Yammie. I would like a bit more nose down trim for when we have a couple of guys down the back half and a heavy load in the esky and livebait tank. It rides fine with someone in the bow seat but it is a bit harsh in rough conditions.

Will a LZ or SST foil etc help the situation or do I need to look at motor wedges. I don't want tabs

Cheers

Neil

seatime
02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking the wedge would be preferable to a foil for any semi-permanent mods. It's a weight distribution/loading issue and the wedge will allow more negative trimming while still allowing normal positive trim when not carrying the extra loads

Whereas with a foil you'll always have that lift at the stern, whether there's extra load down aft or not.

Is it not feasible to shift any non-human load forward to counter the weight aft?

It may take some trial & error to find the best solution, though foils can leave holes in the cav plate if you change your mind.

Steve

Horse
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
It only becomes an issue when the 60L livebait tank in the back corner is full and all the weight is behind the console. I'm thinking of trying the smallest foil I can find.

jimbo59
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi horse is that a blisscraft oceaneer?I owned one back in 95 it was a good old thing got caught in some nasty weather in it. From memory the transom was a bit straight up and down.

Horse
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Yea Jimbo thats the one. Transom is pretty straight up and down. I'm still not sure which way to go.

FNQCairns
03-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Wedges!! go for it:)

Btw who sells them these days in Oz??

cheers fnq

Horse
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure who sells them. I may have to get something fabricated

skipjack
04-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Neil
Nathan may be able to fabricate something for you?

FNQCairns
04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure who sells them. I may have to get something fabricated

Yeah I have been looking for a while now, there are a few sold in the US though, quality alum ones. I have I suspect the virtually same engine as you and they are a little slack on -ve trim, if what has been said above about your transom then you have a double trim whammy to contend with, good luck.

cheers fnq

Horse
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi Neil
Nathan may be able to fabricate something for you?

Yea Ade. Might have to give him a call
I don't have a problem when you sit up the front;D

skipjack
05-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Gee what are you trying to say?
We will have to get out again, I will ring nathan and ask him who would be the best to fabricate something for you>