PDA

View Full Version : Crab Pot Rope Danger

Tailortaker
01-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Firstly I mean no offence to anyone but how much rope do poeple need on their pots without over doing it. I was driving along in the tinnie this morning and someone had their crab pots inside the markers across the chanel. I noticed them and went to pass about 5m away from the float (they were close together) than relised that i had collected the rope with my motor. It had wraped around the prop numerous times. This occured about half way between high and low tide. I looked at the other floats and noticed that they all had metres and metres of slack line floting around them. When I was returning I noticed another boat pulled up untangling the same rope from his prop. Is this right? I think that both the position of the pots and the length of the rope is out right dangerous...
________
No2 vaporizer reviews (http://no2vaporizer.net)

rayken1938
01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
And they winge that their pots are stolen when you have to cut the rope to untangle your prop.
Ray---

ozbee
01-12-2007, 03:36 PM
need a bigger motor problem disappears, truly you would think they were on deadliest catch . thing is a lot of people use nylon mesh pots now. they tend to wash away with the tide trouble is lots of people think they float away hence they get longer and longer.

kingtin
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
2 metres is a lot of rope when you see it floating on the surface. I threw a wobbly once when I saw a heap of rope surplus, but if you think about it................if they dropped the pots at high with a metre of rope to spare, then at low you could have 3 metres of slack. No way to avoid it really if you're leaving 'em overnight or all day.

You won't find a problem with mine though, as I sink the buggers...............and never where there's traffic. Come to think of it, I've never put a pot where there's traffic. .............take a look at schultz (nudgee).............it's like a bloody slalom course some days ::)

kev
When I nipped into a McDonald's to use their toilets the other day, I was confronted by a spotty teenager mopping up vomit just by the lavatory. On the back of his T-shirt it said "I'm Lovin' it!"............... Funny, but the poor sod's face told a different story.

Tailortaker
01-12-2007, 05:58 PM
The only problem is kingtin that there was way more than three metres slack. I passed at lest 5metres from the float and still caught it, when I looked at the others the rope was afloat everywhere.
________
UNIT CONSTRUCTION (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Unit_construction)

Horse
01-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I do not think it unreasonable to have 5m of rope on a pot. At low tide there will be some slack. I always crimp a net lead or wrap some sheet lead on my lines to keep them down

Cheers

Neil

Flattie Assassin
01-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Great idea horse.

lippa
01-12-2007, 10:10 PM
exactly horse, a little lead around the rope helps so much, its not funny.
i normally crab the bay so i have 15- 20 odd meters on my pots. if i crab an area like the passage in 3-5m i tie up excess rope, and wrap a peice of lead around it. problem solved!

cheers

lippa

Braddles
01-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Firstly I mean no offence to anyone but how much rope do poeple need on their pots without over doing it. I was driving along in the tinnie this morning and someone had their crab pots inside the markers across the chanel. I noticed them and went to pass about 5m away from the float (they were close together) than relised that i had collected the rope with my motor. It had wraped around the prop numerous times. This occured about half way between high and low tide. I looked at the other floats and noticed that they all had metres and metres of slack line floting around them. When I was returning I noticed another boat pulled up untangling the same rope from his prop. Is this right? I think that both the position of the pots and the length of the rope is out right dangerous...

T/T I agree with you mate; 5m of rope may not be excessive in some instances, but if it obstructing or in a channel - then they deserve to loose their pots - bloody twits. (And no I am not having a go at the random drifted pot which is an accident / no fault of the owner - but the majority are not accidental drifters).

oldboot
01-12-2007, 10:42 PM
If they are obstructing a chanel and therfore causing a danger to shipping they deserve to be prosecuted.

Most irresponsible to set pots in such a fashon.

cheers

Freeeedom
02-12-2007, 05:53 AM
Agree - they can be a real nuisance at times. I'd like to meet the twit who drops his pots in the channel entrance at Spinnaker Sound one day. Simple solution - never use a rope that floats on your crab pots
Cheers Freeeedom

birko
02-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Mate, I understand what you are saying but up here in mackay we have a 6 mtere tide variance at times so there is not a great deal of choice when it comes to the lenght of rope. I like the lead strip idea though as I dont like the though of being a pain in the butt to someone else due to the long rope.

Rodman
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Guys
What really gets my goat is when someone cuts the rope with their prop and then the line floats on the surface without the float and you run over the rope and it tangles in your prop.

Ken

Foxy4
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Like Horse, I also used lead along my lines to make them stay under. But it is not worth the hassle nowadays. They will still steal you pots no matter how much rope you have or don't have on them.

Kingtin has a real good idea.

TheRealAndy
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
If I see a pot in a channel (usually cabbage tree for me) with the rope flaoting in the way of boats I pick the thing up and throw it out of the channel. Done it before and am happy to do it again.

sandbankmagnet
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry but I fish tight estuary. I may be missing the point, because normally when I see a crab pot float, I take into account the tidal flow and which way the rope will be hanging. I understand this may be different in the bay.

I have a set amount of line on my crab pots which is probably too much, but I never know when I'll need to put my pots in deeper water. The lead option is a good idea. Where do you get that? I must say I fish way out of the traffic of the everyday bloke normally.

mangrove 3
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Mangrove 3
:-/ Hi i was down around russel last week and some smart people were putting there pots in the middel of a very small chanel, hahah there boat was nealy blocking off the little chanel, the rest of the way up the chanel was just pots right in the middle of the chanel. i just shock my head.

Tim_N
05-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Isn't there so law against putting pots in the channel?
Or for that matter, what about fishing in the channel?
Dodging boats and pots can be hazardous especially in busy areas. I've even been given the "forks" by people who have been anchored in the middle of a channel fishing away, and when I didn't slow down to pass them, up yours son!
Surely the channel is for the boat traffic primarily rather than fishing or crabbing.
Anybody know?
Tim

Poseidon
05-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I have seem many pots dropped into locations making it difficult for boat traffic to pass, especially in narrow, shallow sections. One recently was set into a point beside a sand bar known to be the only location to get your boat through on the low tide. I really wanted to 'do the right' thing and move the pot out of harms way however thought twice about being accused by someone else as being a pot thief. Anyway I motored past carefully and noticed a string of these named pots further up the creek. On the way back a little later the bulk of the pots remained where placed however the rouge pot had been relocated to well into the mangroves and out of others way. Obviously by someone with a lower tolerance to the problem than me.
No doubt that this pot was added to the statistics for stolen crab pots in the area.

Dirtysanchez
05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Speaking of Russell Island, my sales rep was late for work the other day - he lives over on Russell Island, anyway he said sorry then went on to explain the boat he catches was only running on one engine becuase, you guessed it, the other motor was out of action as it had picked up a crab pot. :(

Now a large turbo diesel not only wraps the rope around the prop / shaft, but pulverised the pot into a mess of mesh and steel too. ;D