PDA

View Full Version : usa mail del trap

wayneoro
01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
ok u buy off usa dealer etc an item that costs say 300 u are then asked to instantly pay 320 a price that includes usa del costs then they present u with a del bill to aussi say 50 no refund on usa del bill scuba steve usa has got me twice with this ploy i emailed him no responce some time later emailed him again his reply will look in to it never heard another word then problems with the sounder i got from scuba steve emailed him no reply yet when i ordered a colour sounder then a chartplotter my emails were replyed to instantly >:(

deadbeatloser
01-12-2007, 04:36 PM
ok u buy off usa dealer etc an item that costs say 300 u are then asked to instantly pay 320 a price that includes usa del costs then they present u with a del bill to aussi say 50 no refund on usa del bill scuba steve usa has got me twice with this ploy i emailed him no responce some time later emailed him again his reply will look in to it never heard another word then problems with the sounder i got from scuba steve emailed him no reply yet when i ordered a colour sounder then a chartplotter my emails were replyed to instantly >:(
try mr boats on ebay aus, his deals are just as good as usa i bought latest garmin chartplotter, raymarine sounder, half price,;D ;D also called menai marine nsw;D

peterbo3
01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Wayne,
I have been buying fishing gear & electronics from the US for years with no problems. Always ask for a confirmatory email showing item price & postage. If the seller charges your CC more, then take it up with your bank using the email as evidence.

gone_phishin
01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I've been dealing with Steve from QOME (Queensland Outdoor and Marine Electronics) for a while now and find his service tops. It takes away the US side of things by being here in Oz, but retains the import prices, and your quotes are upfront with freight included. I had an early hassle with an item and it was replaced before I even sent the faulty one back!

Geoff

marco
02-12-2007, 06:54 AM

hi wayneoro,
it will be interesting if Niel " scubasteve" addresses your complaint , he has been trolling this forum for a while now whilst drumming up business so come on Niel , tell us why do you ignore his complaints . scubasteve has gotten a pretty good run on here and i must say he has been helpful with advice on this forum and it would be a shame if he was revealed has a dodgy company to deal with .

Neil " scubasteve" has used this ausfish forum to build his profile in the australain fishing market which is worth a lot of money and one would think he would not want all that hard/sneaky work un done .
so come Niel , whats the go ?

while im at it , piscatory pursuit used the same method of building his usa electronics store profile on this forum and he saw the value of it , which is why you now see his store as this forums sponsor , fishon marine .
wouldnt it be nice if "scubasteve " did the right thing by ausfish as well and put some money back into the site that saved him thousands on building his profile .
cheers
mark

Essence
03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I've gotten onto a regular shop called Fish-Lectronics in Maine, and been buying cables & connectors all sorts of replacement parts for the lost electronics.
Its all original, and so far, less than 2/3rd's the cost of an Australian Marine Shop.They send it out in United States Postal Service Priority Mail Flat rate box, it costs $33 every time. It arrives within a week. Steve from QOME (Queensland Outdoor and Marine Electronics) is really good too his markup is not much more.

mik01
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM

Wayne,

just a question - what did your original receipt show?
I ordered a radio from Pat at Fishon, and before you click 'buy', the summary shows your breakdown of purchase price and del fees.

all reputable retail outlets should detail both separately and upfront before you purchase. Thumbs up to Fishon - ordered last Tuesday and arrive today - no mess, no worries. Good retailers learn the value of repeat business and that their reputation is everything.

If you have honestly tried every avenue to contact Steve without reply, and you have a bonafide issue, then by all means post your complaint here. No offence mate - but I can't believe you went back for more after the first time you were allegedly 'burnt'???

or is there more to this than you are letting on?

ozlongboarder
03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I have purchased from both Neil (Scubasteve) and Pat at Fishonmarine. My order with Pat was seamless from start to finish with great advice. My order with Neil was also easy however we had a miscommunication over the transducer, only a $30 difference which he refunded via paypal a few days after we sorted out the best option (which also took a few days due to time zones and weekends etc).

I hope this is just a one off with Neil and that he gets on here and explains his side of the story and sorts this issue out.

The internet makes it hard to hide bad service in any industry these days.

death_ship
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
steve at qome is cool, no dramas, straight up aussie bloke

disorderly
04-12-2007, 07:03 AM
My advise would be to not give your hard earned cash to Neil at Scuba steve.
I also just went through the process of ordering and paying for an item from them through paypal.
The item that initially appeared cheaper than from site sponser Fishon quickly attracted a US$15 higher postage than Fishon when I received an email telling me that I would receive a further invoice and asking for more money.
On my original payment slip is my name and address where it is clearly stated that I am from australia.
I have bought electronic items from several other US companies and after you proceed to the checkout the price quoted has always been the price I have been charged.This has been determined before they take your money.They dont sucker you into the transaction by offering a supposedly lower price than once you have paid this ask for further funds.
I will never deal with this scoundrel again.

Scott

disorderly
04-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Btw once I received the email asking for more money I have replied asking for my original money back.
What are the chances?

Scott

ScubaSteve_US
04-12-2007, 08:18 AM
FIRST, I'm am up front about my sites inability to calculate international postage. It is in the sites policies on International orders. When you get a $12 shipping rate for a 7 lbs item you really think that is accurate? Come on. It's something that I want to change since international has become a larger part of my business. But that change is going to take some time.

Scott, I think you confuse me with someone else I have had 2 orders from individuals with the first name of Scott all year, when I search emails. One in the US the other in Canada. None from Australia.

waynero,
I'm not sure i completely know what your issue is. There is no "mail trap", my site doesn't calculate international shipping. If you place an order without asking for a quote first I advise you of the shipping costs. You always have the right to cancel your order at that point. I would not and never have refused to cancel an order that has not shipped.

As for your purchase, I appreciate it. The only emails I can recall recently from any Australian customer are those from someone who purchased a Furuno FCV-585 that was fogging up on them after a few weeks of use. I don't know if that was you or not but I did respond and contacted Furuno on the customers behalf to find out what Furuno's advice was on the issue. I also forward that information back to the customer as well.

I'm sorry if I didn't respond to your email I make a good faith effort to respond to everyones emails promptly. I am human though and on occassion have missed a question or were delayed in responding. Please send me your question again and I will respond to it. Again I'm sorry if I missed your email it surely wasn't intentional.

Service is important to me always has been. If you let me know there is a problem I always try to make it right. I have NEVER refused a refund or request to cancel an order. That claim is just plain false and slanderous.

Have a great day.

Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

disorderly
04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
There is no "mail trap", my site doesn't calculate international shipping. If you place an order without asking for a quote first I advise you of the shipping costs. You always have the right to cancel your order at that point.

Service is important to me always has been.
Have a great day.

Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

This is clearly NOT true.
Last night I placed an order and was charged accordingly through paypal.
There was no mention of a second delivery charge until AFTER you already had my payment for the item plus the initial delivery charge.
I have NEVER experienced this before(and my wife and I run a mail order Internet business also.)
BTW I have resent my email(it is under the name of Ann Cains as was my purchase as its my wifes paypal account).

I agree totally with Wayne....its a trap alright!

Scott

ScubaSteve_US
04-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Well I guess I have figured out who Scott is aka Ann. Scott you didn't even email me until 20 minutes after my response to this thread. Thus my confusion to who you were. You are worried about a refund? It's already completed. You clearly didn't read the store policies on international shipping. I don't see how you can possibly be angry with me. You can't send an ICOM-M422 for $12.75 to Australia. It cost about that in the US and to some locations more. I always quote Express Mail as it is the only method of shipping that is trackable to Australia, Priority is not. Sorry to disappoint you.

Have a great day.

Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

disorderly
04-12-2007, 09:08 AM
thanks ausfishhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
It would seem due to the power of this forum that all of a sudden Neil found my email requesting a cancellation of the second invoice and a refund for the first.
He has now complied with my wishes.

I will give my order to fishon(site sponsers)where all the charges appear to be shown up front.

Neil,
I would still like you to explain why you clearly state that you dont take customers money until you have made them aware of a second postage charge after they have already paid postage once..This was certainly not true in my case.

Scott

ScubaSteve_US
04-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Here is the policy right from the website. It's always been there. I get emails regularly asking for a quote. So I know most people take the time to read it. Online payment is instant there is no chance to change it prior. Thus, the notification afterwards of the additional amount for international shipping, right inline with our posted policies. There has never been an issue with your refund. That claim is just plain ridiculous. It hasn't even been 24 hours since your original order. I look forward to the day when I have a site completed that calculates international shipping. It is as much as an inconvenience to me as it is to you. I recognize that it is something I'm working to change but that unfortunately takes time, more than I would like. Have a great day.

Excerpt from our store policies:
INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS
If you require shipping to destinations outside of the United States of America our method of shipping is different. We use USPS EMS as our standard method and use shipping methods to lower your total cost of acquisition when we can. You must ask for a shipping quote prior to ordering as shipping can not be automatically calculated for international destinations. If you have ordered prior to receiving a shipping quote your order will not ship until the full shipping charges are paid. If the shipping cost is unacceptable your purchase will be promptly refunded. Once your order has left our distribution center if you cancel your order you are subject to a 15% restocking charge. Customers are also responsible for any customs charges, VAT or import duties or fees. You are responsible for knowing what your country charges. We can help reduce these charges at times. Should you refuse a package you are responsible for return shipping charges in additon to the restocking charge and there would be no refund on the initial shipping.

You are also responsible for providing a valid shipping address and being available to receive the package. Should a package be returned to us due to multiple delivery attempts where no one is available to receive the package you are responsible for shipping charges to redeliver the package. Should you elect to cancel the order after an attempted delivery no shipping charges will be refunded.

FNQCairns
04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
This is not uncommon in the US, I have bought very little electronics from the US but a fair swag of boat bits and I find it is fairly typical, a annoyance certainly. I keep a good idea from times past roundabout what the charge should be, so far the shipping has in the end always come to within reason.

Yes it is a pain! a big part of the pain is often the extra lead in time to shipping as a result.

cheers fnq

ScubaSteve_US
04-12-2007, 09:23 AM
thanks ausfishhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
It would seem due to the power of this forum that all of a sudden Neil found my email requesting a cancellation of the second invoice and a refund for the first.
He has now complied with my wishes.

I will give my order to fishon(site sponsers)where all the charges appear to be shown up front.

Neil,
I would still like you to explain why you clearly state that you dont take customers money until you have made them aware of a second postage charge after they have already paid postage once..This was certainly not true in my case.

Scott

Your email came after the post to this forum. But it really doesn't matter. It was taken care of not because of the forum but because of the request. That was never in question. How much time is reasonable to process a refund? I don't know but with time differences 24 hours would seem reasonable to me. Maybe not for everyone.

I never said it doesn't process the payment. If you order online it immediately processes the payment. What I said is you get a notification of the additional shipping necessary after your order at which time you have the opportunity accept the shipping or ask to cancel the order. Sometimes I send out an invoice at the same time to speed things up for the customer, but it doesn't take any money from you. You have to take action for it to be completed and paid. Maybe I wasn't clear enough earlier. Hope this clears it up.

I appreciate all my customers I'm sorry you feel differently. I have spoken to a number of people on Ausfish via the phone. You are always more than welcome to call. Just remember the time difference :) it's why I answer the phone at 9, 10pm at night.

Well anyways sorry for the confusion. Hope you have a good day.

Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

FNQCairns
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Scuba steve can you answer a Q for me please, if I pay a US business by paypal them moment I press the final button my money is gone. How long in real time does it take for my payment to be accessed as their own funds by the business I sent it to?

Sometimes I get the impression the business sits on it for a couple of days??

Not a slant at your store steve just curious.

Thanks fnq

ScubaSteve_US
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Scuba steve can you answer a Q for me please, if I pay a US business by paypal them moment I press the final button my money is gone. How long in real time does it take for my payment to be accessed as their own funds by the business I sent it to?

Sometimes I get the impression the business sits on it for a couple of days??

Not a slant at your store steve just curious.

Thanks fnq

It's really instantaneous. As you are receiving an email from Paypal so is the business. The funds are there within 5 minutes probably less. Some businesses might take time to process the order so it may appear there is a delay. Hard to speak to what others are doing.

disorderly
04-12-2007, 10:11 AM
, but it doesn't take any money from you. You have to take action for it to be completed and paid. Maybe I wasn't clear enough earlier. Hope this clears it up.

Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

But it did take money from me.
My order was processed and included a shipping charge.Then paypal sent a receipt of the invoice to me.
Then when I looked this morning there was a email from scuba steve asking for more.

Just wondering FNQ....how many orders have you put in where you were charged for your items plus a postage fee and your money was accepted,then later on you are told that you must send more money for them to ship it.
This is what irk's me...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/angry.gif

I find it sneaky.To go through the whole process with this vendor thinking it is cheaper than the competition and have them accept the order (Item and postage) and my money but then not send it until I make a second payment(which is conciderably more than fishon's postage price,incidently)

ScubaSteve_US
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
My order was processed and included a shipping charge.Then paypal sent a receipt of the invoice to me.
Then when I looked this morning there was a email from scuba steve asking for more.

Just wondering FNQ....how many orders have you put in where you were charged for your items plus a postage fee and your money was accepted,then later on you are told that you must send more money for them to ship it.
This is what irk's me...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/angry.gif

It's always the same process if you order first before getting a shipping quote. If the policy is not clear I will take a look at it and try and revise it in such away that is more clear. I think I already explained the money part, payment processing online is immediate and automatic there is no human pressing a button (only you when you complete the order). I don't like having disappointed customers in fact this is the first time I think I've ever had to respond to a complaint that surfaced in a forum. Most I ever see is a product that is out of stock and they can't wait for the new stock and need to cancel.

I can't wait until this whole issue goes away I know it's somewhat of an inconvenience for you. I was planning on having a new site that would resolve this issue by now but it always seems to take longer than expected to get new development projects completed. Some of the things I want done are creating some technical issues I need to overcome. In time it will be resolved. Anyway have a good day, it's early there i think? Getting late here. :)

Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

DR
04-12-2007, 10:37 AM
i suppose the bottom line here is the one i always use for purchases overseas..

email for a price inc shipping.. have never used Scuba Steve, but have never had any trouble..

FNQCairns
04-12-2007, 11:28 AM

This is what irk's me...>:(

I find it sneaky.To go through the whole process with this vendor thinking it is cheaper than the competition and have them accept the order (Item and postage) and my money but then not send it until I make a second payment(which is conciderably more than fishon's postage price,incidently)

Hi Scott, Yes often with boat bit's because if they are not setup for it freight can take some human input to ascertain the final freight charge, some places like cabellas or bass pro seem to charge relativly outrageous freight to cover their butt, what they loose one the roundabout.....

But usually on first order from a new store I will always ask for a solid quote (doesn't always work) and the method shipped on something basicly easy and typical to ship, if all seems fair the next time I usually order on trust then end up paying yet again when the combined items or the item has been sourced and has been weighed in their dispatch department.

It's a pain in the butt that blows out the time to my door by lot's esp if the total deal time extends to a weekend or a holiday but not uncommon for me to have to top up their freight charge at some point but it's better than them keeping the residual:'(

Cheers fnq

Ps thanks for the paypal answer Scuba Steve.

notsa
04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I purchased a chart plotter and vhf radio from Steve and had no problem with paying the extra shipping cost, still CHEAP at $78.00 au. I purchased a g2 vision card from us and delivery was $35.00. I wanted to send a rod and reel to Mt Isa and it was going to cost $80.00 from Brisbane.I think Steve is up front and I will purchase from him again.

Roo
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
i read the policy Neil posted here....seems pretty straightforward to me. you get a quote first.....then order. simple as that. As with any purchase whether internet or face to face, it is best to read the conditions of sale, twice, and always buyer beware.

cheers Roo.

ozlongboarder
04-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for replying Neil aka ScubaSteve.

From reading the responses from those involved it seems pretty obvious to me that Neil is not trying to rip anybody off.

It looks like a combination of many things have lead to this situation:
-Scubasteve website is klunky compared to many other websites when it comes to shipping costs upfront.
-Time zones can cause delays in correspondence. ( will happen on any site)
-Unrealistic expectations on shipping costs (if one shop is 1/4 the cost of several other shops then its probably not accurate)

I know that when I buy anything from the USA I get a nervous until the item gets to me, its a lot of my hard earned money and I dont want to get ripped off and I can understand why those purchasing can get angry when things dont go smoothly.

I am the one with FCV 585 that fogged up :( that Neil referred to. His response was quick and efficient.

I buy a lot of mountain biking gear from the US from 2 shops, they both know this and do there best to get my business and provide me with good service. They buy there gear off different distributors and as such can pass on savings on some products where the other cant.

Its seems there a few reputable shops that we Aussies can get our marine gear from and thats good. I also think the www.fishonmarine.net is a Ausfish sponsor and should be supported.

mik01
04-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Neil,

just a suggestion in the interim before your website is capable - perhaps when overseas delivery is required (ie via a tick box), your policy might pop up therefore ensuring everyone reads it or has a chance to read it?
I must say, I did like to know when I ordered from fishon what the total cost would be and it is handy to see it all on screen and authorise it in one go, but you have been upfront and I can't see any 'shonky' behaviour from the limited evidence supplied.

it's a shame it has got to the stage where some have posted such a potentially damaging thread to your business if in fact, it is simply a misunderstanding.

Ausfish
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
By the sounds of it, the bottom line is always use a forum sponsor, if available. Not someone that trolls forums and tries to get business from forums for free.

Fishon Marine are the Electronics forum sponsor and I have had nothing but good reports from anyone that deals with them.

If you support the forum sponsors you also help keep the site free for you to use.

bigbrian47
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
scuba steve was recommended to me by a person not connected with ausfish
my dealing was straightforward price/service/posting no problems at all
cheers brian

wayneoro
05-12-2007, 09:09 AM
steve do i get a refund for extra mail costs i paid. u said way back u would look in to it to refresh your memory i bought from u a sounder and then a chartplotter ec time i was instantly invoiced for the item plus usa mail costs which i instantly paid then u sent me another invoice for full price mail costs to aussi $45us] app which is high what i would like is the usa mail costs i paid and did not need to refunded ty:-X

snatchy
05-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I bought something from Scuba Steve a few months ago.
I expected the 2nd charge for shipping. it was obvious if you read the conditions. I went through many US sites to find what i wanted for the best price, INCLUDING postage. I asked for the postage price via email before commiting to anything.... simple.

I hope the title of this thread is changed for the benefit of scuba steve, as i think it is missleading.

wayneoro
05-12-2007, 03:18 PM
gees guys ya gonna love this now my refurbished raymarine sounder does not work at all [yep the one i got off scuba steve ] in another post about the on off button having a mind of its own wont work at all yes steve the problem i emailed u for your input and never got a reply till i posted on ausfish then your reply was contact raymarine well i did today but raymarine australia will not honour refurbished warrenties this i did not no on your site it states that refurbished is same as new as all work was done by raymarine etc etc gee steve u got me good enjoy

wayneoro
06-12-2007, 07:14 AM
ok checked my paypal a/c here are the facts 7th aug paid westchase products[scuba steve]$506 us for a refurbished raymarine 500 its retail to me was under 400 us so that leaves more then $106 postage costs next item 7th oct paid westchase products $401 [which inc usa mail del] then another $58 us for mail del to aussi fishon offered me same for 400us but steve was 20 cheaper so total mail cost on plotter $78 us steve u have overcharged me about $70 please a refund mistakes happen but time to sort it ps recent personal mail from steve states he charges $45 mail costs on my item to here not so is it steve:o

ozlongboarder
06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Wayneero I understand your not happy. I am trying to understand you situation but I have trouble reading any of your posts and understanding them as you use no punctuation and just seem to ramble on.

Maybe its just me but if your responses were a bit clearer it would be easier to understand whats going on.

The way I see it is you ordered a sounder for $401USD including a delivery fee for shipment within the the USA. When the order was processed you were charged a further $58 USD for shipment to Australia.

What was the total shipping cost you paid to get it to Australia?

I paid $99 USD for a Furuno 585 and transducer to be shiped to me.

FNQCairns
06-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Wayneero I understand your not happy. I am trying to understand you situation but I have trouble reading any of your posts and understanding them as you use no punctuation and just seem to ramble on.

Maybe its just me but if your responses were a bit clearer it would be easier to understand whats going on.

The way I see it is you ordered a sounder for $401USD including a delivery fee for shipment within the the USA. When the order was processed you were charged a further $58 USD for shipment to Australia.

What was the total shipping cost you paid to get it to Australia?

I paid $99 USD for a Furuno 585 and transducer to be shiped to me.

Yeah Wayne sort out your Total unit/purchase costs from your Total freight charges.

OLB $99 is a wack of freight:o, I have had a few SS props sent from the US at 14lb weight, they didn't come to that - that's more like a 20lb item I guess - were they sent as seperate units? I would give a $99 freight charge the big sidestep.

cheers fnq

ozlongboarder
06-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah Wayne sort out your Total unit/purchase costs from your Total freight charges.

OLB $99 is a wack of freight:o, I have had a few SS props sent from the US at 14lb weight, they didn't come to that - that's more like a 20lb item I guess - were they sent as seperate units? I would give a $99 freight charge the big sidestep.

cheers fnq

I agree the $99 is a bit steep but I just put the same order through on fishonmarine.net and its $84 for USPS. so a $14 difference. But I saved on the customs & gst fee that I would have had to of paid. Now thats over $100 in my pocket.

mik01
06-12-2007, 08:13 AM
and I still don't understand why Wayne went back to the same company after the first supposed 'ripoff' in delivery fees??????????
I don't understand the issue and I don't think this thread is going to resolve anything, personally. It just seems to be a vehicle to publicly slam a certain retailer, which I would think would be more harmful to your chances of sorting it out amicably than going about it directly.

good luck with whatever the issue is Wayne, I hope you get it sorted out - whatever it is.....

p.s. - I paid US$43 for my vhf radio to be delivered from Fishon using USPS

FNQCairns
06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
I agree the $99 is a bit steep but I just put the same order through on fishonmarine.net and its $84 for USPS. so a $14 difference. But I saved on the customs & gst fee that I would have had to of paid. Now thats over $100 in my pocket.

yeah I agree it's like our BYLO supermarket advert it's the total at the end of the docket that counts:)

I have a large SS prop in transit now from the US ATM I was charged $45usd (cheapest ever) for freight, should arrive next week, there are big disparities in freight charged it would seem. looking forward to seeing how they made it happen.

cheers fnq

ozlongboarder
06-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Remember its not just based on weight, its the size of the package as well. Some shops will subsidize the shipping cost as well if they are making good money on the item or if they get discounts on shipping rates due to the quantity of gear they ship.

Like you said, its the total at the end of the day that counts.

bugman
06-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm also a Scuba Steve buyer.

Sorting out a "firm" mail cost was one of the first things I did as mailing to Aus from the US can vary and cost you nealy as much as the product.

I thought that would have been one of the first priorities for anyone buying overseas.

Anyway our purchases were fine - although we did get the wrong hemisphere compass which Neil is in the process of sorting out now - just waiting on the new one to be shipped over.

Brett

FNQCairns
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
OLB not absolute on this but airfreight is on weight only I could pack 1kg of snapper sinkers in a 500x500x500 box and still pay the same as if I packaged tight.

Surface is different box size does make a big difference. The prop I am buying is new secondhand from a private individual airfreight, so will be a good 'test' of what 'is' possible IF it arrives:) and was no sent to Austria:(

cheers fnq

disorderly
06-12-2007, 08:37 AM
there are big disparities in freight charged it would seem.

Which brings me back to my original gripe.
Scuba steve appeared to charge me for his regular US delivery charge then afterwards asked for about the same as fishon charges in total on TOP of this for delivery.

FNQCairns
06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Which brings me back to my original gripe.
Scuba steve appeared to charge me for his regular US delivery charge then afterwards asked for about the same as fishon charges in total on TOP of this for delivery.

Yeah Scott if it the end feight cost was out of the ordinary then it's worth working it out with the supplier.

USPS has a solid table of charges to simply everywhere all based on weight.

The mode it was done as in the top-up was a fairly typcal approach in my experience but most of my experience is with multiple bits and piecesall coming together into one package.

Scott look into it, mistakes happen, the opposite also does, we get so screwed over on price here in Oz almost anything bought O/S can be justified by the end price but that doesn't mean the price you paid was fair dinkum.

cheers fnq

peterbo3
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
G'Day all,
I have just spent three months in the US & I sent a lot of gear back home via US Post using several different Post Offices across the country. This is what consistently happened.
1. Item was weighed & price appeared on customer screen
2. Item was then measured (LxBxD) & this was entered. New price then appeared if the cubic freight charge was greater than the weighed charge.
3. Insurance was then added & total cost was displayed.
The cubic charge is not shown on the USPS website but mention is made of it. See below.
So a small, heavy item will attract a cost based on weight & a larger, bulky item which weighs little will be be charged on volume & cost a lot more than the weighed price.
Australia Post do the same thing.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/spacer.gif
http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/arrow_red.gif Large Package
Use “Large Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package is more than 84 inches but not more than 130 inches. Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.
If you are unsure of your package category, select “Large Package” on the first page of the rate calculator. You will be prompted to enter your package dimensions and the correct rate will be calculated.
http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/15_package.gif

http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/btn_closewindow.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:CloseWindow%28%29)

FNQCairns
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
G'Day all,
I have just spent three months in the US & I sent a lot of gear back home via US Post using several different Post Offices across the country. This is what consistently happened.
2. Item was then measured (LxBxD) & this was entered. New price then appeared if the cubic freight charge was greater than the weighed charge.
The cubic charge is not shown on the USPS website but mention is made of it. See below.
So a small, heavy item will attract a cost based on weight & a larger, bulky item which weighs little will be be charged on volume & cost a lot more than the weighed price.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/spacer.gif
http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/arrow_red.gif Large Package
Use “Large Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package is more than 84 inches but not more than 130 inches. Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.
If you are unsure of your package category, select “Large Package” on the first page of the rate calculator. You will be prompted to enter your package dimensions and the correct rate will be calculated.
http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/15_package.gif

http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/btn_closewindow.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:CloseWindow%28%29)

Good info, so possibly some of the electronics box's attract the cubic charge. I rand ozpost regarding an ob part someone in the US wanted from me, I grilled the lady as I had to quote the buyer and needed correct info from her. When I said so does that mean I can place this small part into a 800mm sized box and pay no more than if I packed it tight she agreed and was adament (sp) about it, she said surface was different though.

The transaction never went ahead so I never found out for sure, the only purchase someone in the US could make from us here would be for something like rocking horse scat, without them having rocks in their head.

Damn confusing but your info highlights how I may be receiving my prop packaged in a tight box, every other prop I have had shipped to me from the US has been in one of those stupid 2x too large boxes they come in.

cheers fnq

DR
06-12-2007, 10:22 AM
G'Day all,
The cubic charge is not shown on the USPS website but mention is made of it.

thats why you always ask the supplier to pack as small as possible. i learn't the hard way. Got a bunch of caps, shirts etc, came in a box that was 700x700x450.
when they packed it they put items in 4 more boxes that fitted perfectly into the big box:-/ all the smaller boxes all had packing in them. end result i paid for cubic measurement, which worked waaay more than the weight...i repacked everything into one of the smaller boxes inside:o cost me 4 times what it should have>:(>:(>:(>:(

Dirtysanchez
06-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Don't forget fellas, customs have a say in a lot of things now and can and will apply a charge if deemed necessary
Our company imports a lot of stuff and we often get held up at customs, asked for more paperwork then get hit with a $50 or $100 clearance fee

wayneoro
08-12-2007, 10:00 PM
guys the usa cost of shipping 1 of my buys from steve cost him 22 us it was on the parcel

bigbrian47
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
the one parcel i received from scubasteve had $47.85US on the express mail int'l
dispatch note converted to AUS is what i paid
it would depend on the exchange rate on the day as to variance
this is the same when i have bought from other company's in the US
cheers brian

wayneoro
10-12-2007, 08:54 PM
ok i might be wrong about 22 but he emailed me that 45 was not excessive but he charged about 90-100 per item com'on guys thats what this post is about paying twice for mail costs he has being shown this, it is clear there can not be any dispute , , he should now pay me back

DR
11-12-2007, 07:35 AM
you are probably paying for his time to go to the post office as well as the post charges, maybe walks down there ::)