PDA

View Full Version : Brissie River Cruising

boatboy50
30-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey Guys,

Planning a few social trips with the misses over the summer, and looking for poor weather options.

Just after a few suggestions for stop overs for lunch and the like along the Brissie river, with pontoons to tie up the boat safely and securely while we are away from it.

Was considering putting in near the Gateway, cruising upstream slowly, stopping for lunch and anything interesting along the way.

How far upstream can one safely go in a 17ft bowrider?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated as i've never been past Southbank on the water, and don't know Brisbane all that well.

Regards

Darren

Blackened
30-11-2007, 07:50 PM
G'day

There's a public pontoon @ southbank, on the downstream end. Have used that before with the 12' tinny.

Its a really nice run up the river... One day I launched at colmslie and run up past the moggil ferry in the 12' tinny.... was a great deal of fun.

You can go all the way to the weir up around anstead direction or turn down the bremer if you're that keen.

Have a think about running up the noosa river, up into the fresh of cootharabah and cooribah or even well up the coomera.

Dave

mik01
30-11-2007, 07:54 PM
how would you go with your gear in the boat and leaving it?
there's heaps of nice parks along the way, just not sure if you can access via boat.

would be a nice picnic spot at any of those - ie - Kangaroo Point, Southbank, New Farm, Indooroopilly, even Jindalee etc.
any other spots where you can tie off and do this?

mik01
30-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Darren - just found this list of pontoon on the river - http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD::pc=PC_1840

this is something i am interested in also.
would be good to take the mrs out as she is not keen on open water....::)

boatboy50
30-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Guys,

Love Ausfish. Where else could you get great info so quickly?

Mik, thanks for the link. Very good find.

I'm also interested in any restaurants/pubs who don't mind boatie visitors with amenities to suit? Or maybe a picnic at a public park could be a better option?

Any more info would be great.

Regards

Darren

Seahorse
30-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey Dave.
Whats it like up the noosa river. Iam having a week up there in feb.
How long does it take from around boat harb at tewantin?
Is fishing anygood up there?

Cheers
greg

blue boat
30-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Darren
the parks on the way up river after the uni you will find chandler park there is a pontoon there nice park with bbq
next area is after the walt taylor bribge about 2klms upstream on your left side of the river you will see sherwood pontoon and park another nice area
Plenty to see on the way up river
Kev

mik01
30-11-2007, 09:37 PM
you may want to give Jindalee a miss as its not overly interesting or quiet.
plenty of waterskiers around that stretch and the park at Jindalee (amazons) is quite average. I used to waterski there quite regularly and there are plenty of pwc's there also.
Mowbray park is quite nice, although I would give it a miss if you are leaving your boat there as it can be a dodgy park even during the day. Newstead park might be a good spot to stop at - very nice parklands and historic Newstead House you can walk through.... http://www.easyweddings.com.au/garden_weddings/wedding_location.asp?garden=66
http://www.newsteadhouse.com.au/opening_times/openingtimes.htm

you could walk over the road to the Breakfast Creek Wharf Seafood restaurant or over Kingsford Smith Drive to Brekky Creek Hotel for a quiet ale...

seatime
30-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Kookaburra Park, Karana Downs has a good pontoon and park amenities which isn't on that list.
There looks to be a new pontoon at Sth Brisbane alongside the boat ramp.

Be careful of the Mowbray Park pontoon, it's steel and is frequented by charter boats.
The public pontoons and jetties have time limits, 30 min from memory, not usually a problem at quiet times though.

Brumby
30-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Good topic, Darren. I'm not much of a fisherman, but show me a restaurant that I can get to by boat or a nice quiet picnic spot and I'm in.

Good to read all the tips, looks like I'll have to venture north again one of these days.

Cheers

Blackened
01-12-2007, 07:09 AM
G'day

How about oxleys on the river? along corro drive.

Is their pontoon strictly private? maybe if you ring ahead and find out?

Greg, not sure on how long, best off getting the charts/beacon to beacon out and doing some measurements. Have canoed from cotharaba up to harrys one time, was many years though, that particular expedition.

Dave

boatboy50
03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Guys,

Looks like it may well be worth a trip or three, as it sounds like there is plenty of places for a stop off.

Greg, Noosa is a good trip also. It is probably about ten to fifteen miles long from memory, and great if your into the serenity thing (up the river that is). I just stayed on the Noosa river over the weekend and it was surprisingly quiet, although the weather was slightly off. The river upstream is quite good fishing for bream and the like, while the bar is not too bad in any boat over about 5m. Good offshore fishing up there, but Mooloolaba is a much safer bet.

Any more info is welcome.

Regards

Darren