PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs

ovakil
30-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Trim tabs on the boat were on when I bought it.They look a bit home made.I have moved them up higher so they are not hanging down below hull.That has stop a lot of spray from back of boat.I have set them up with a straight edge same line as bottom of hull.
Is this correct?
Are they worth having on ?
Thanks.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/ovakil460/IMG_0545.jpg?t=1196412371

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/ovakil460/IMG_0544.jpg?t=1196412313

ozscott
30-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I would be a bit sus in a following sea with them unable to be retracted matey

Getout
01-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Don't reckon I'd trust a plastic hinge. The virtue of trim tabs is their adjustability to compensate for load, wind sea state etc. Fixed ones wouldn't be much help I'd think.

Chimo
01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
They do make the boat think its longer which won't be a bad thing and if they have been lifted up 3mm or so they should be ok as long as they are set level with the hull bottom.

How much "backing down" on game fish do you do? Possibly if that is you plan you may have a different boat tho.

Happy tabbing.............

Cheers
Chimo

ovakil
01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I mostly scuba dive,I go to morteon island a fair bit.Occasionly on a good day go out the front to flinders & hutchison

ovakil
01-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I would be a bit sus in a following sea with them unable to be retracted matey
What could happen ?
As this is my first boat with a little experiance
Thanks

ozscott
02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I dont know how your boat is trimmed with them, but its best in a following sea not to have them down at all - so if they are flat along the hull line but down in the water when under way causing any stern lift and bow down action, you dont want that in a following sea, when what you want is the bow up - because when the wave comes and applies force to the stern you dont want the bow to be in all the way along the water line making it easier for the bow to bite in and steer to one side potentially causing a broaching situation where your turned side on to the waves coming from behind. If, where you have them they are not really acting to move the bow down, then you are probably ok.

Cheers

ovakil
02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I dont know how your boat is trimmed with them, but its best in a following sea not to have them down at all - so if they are flat along the hull line but down in the water when under way causing any stern lift and bow down action, you dont want that in a following sea, when what you want is the bow up - because when the wave comes and applies force to the stern you dont want the bow to be in all the way along the water line making it easier for the bow to bite in and steer to one side potentially causing a broaching situation where your turned side on to the waves coming from behind. If, where you have them they are not really acting to move the bow down, then you are probably ok.

Cheers

Looks like they are coming off,thats what happened to me last week.My mate fell off his chair when bow dug in and swerve to port side.