PDA

View Full Version : garmin mapsource advice needed

FNQCairns
30-11-2007, 05:30 PM
ATM I have a handheld garmin 12 and oziexplorer maping software this works well as I can view maps on the computer, plot, then send the waypoints to the garmin 12 or download waypoints to ozi from the gps to play with.

I am upgrading to a late model Garmin 525 chartplotter with a vision card, what do I also need to buy to be able to upload/transfer waypoints to and from in a user friendly way like I can with OZI, my computer and the Garmin 12.

any ideas much appreciated,

thanks fnq

Far side
30-11-2007, 05:40 PM
FNQ

I have the Garmin mapsource software for the 4008 plotter

The waypoints are created in the software and simply transferred to the unit via an sd card.
the backup of all of your data to the PC is the opposite of the install to the unit
It works pretty well I get all of the track logs etc and the software comes with the chart for east coast of aus to morington island

FNQCairns
30-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks Far Side thats a big help, I had not considered the software would come with the chart:) that's good news.

So do I need to buy a spare blank SD card? can any brand SD card be used?

thanks fnq

Simmo2
30-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Its all in the software mate!!!

FNQCairns
30-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Simmo2, thats beaut!

cheers fnq

Far side
01-12-2007, 06:14 AM
FNQ
I got a spare sd card with the plotter because it had a firmware upgrade on it
So I use that for transferring points tracks etc
I did buy a sandisk card but that doesent work I think the card is faulty

I am not sure what model you are getting but if you go to the garmin website Its all there
Jonny Appleseed had the software in brisbane I installed it and then did an upgrade from the website
If your unit takes an sd card then you will beed to purchase an sd card reader seperately

When you log onto the garmin website you can also get the latest firmware for your unit and keep it up to date
The map with the software is not a bluechart fish style map its just the standard navagation map but has all of the depths marks channels etc

Spaniard_King
01-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Guysm I have been all through this saga.

You can use any SD card, you just have to format the card first in the GPS.

If the card does not format then PM me and I will email you the files needed for the sd card. Then you will still need to intitialize the card in the GPS

Best way to initialize/format the card is to save a wpt on the GPS.. put card in and send data to the card.. GPS should then prepare the card for data transfer.

You need the card to be formatted for your GPS as it stores a code on the card for which mapsource needs to identify your GPS so it can send correct format of data to your card to be ready for the GPSD to read...think I just confused myself.. Does that sound alright.

Also if your having trouble sending data to the card in mapsource make sure you use the help command and update mapsourc e from there to the latest version which is free once you own a copy of mapsource :)

Spaniard_King
01-12-2007, 03:15 PM
FNQ, just a note do not use your electronics chart card to transfer data ?wpts to the gps.. frought with danger :P... You can also download the latest firmware upgrades from Garmin for free.. sd transfer to the unit :)

Spaniard_King
01-12-2007, 03:16 PM
here is the latest for the 525 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00597-00&cID=148&pID=8107

FNQCairns
01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Gary thats just great! top shelf information, much appreciated. Had suspicions there would be format and bug type trials and tribulations, had no idea how to deal with them though. nice link too.

Thanks fnq

perko
02-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Good info Gary. Can you transfer info from mapsource to your gps via the blank sd card and a cable that links the sd card to the pc? Where do you get the cable and blank cards from? I have got a gpsmap420 for my small boat but I can't use the existing cable from my other gpsmap172c in the big boat. Don't like the idea of manually punching in 500+ waypoints.

Spaniard_King
02-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Perko. I use one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270168860680

Just remember the card has to be formatted in the GPS so as mapsource can identify what unit its talking to on the pc. :)