PDA

View Full Version : BP Ultima?

aussie9
29-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys

Does anyone bother to us this BP (or other fuel) 98 octane in their 2 stroke?

I have an old Johnson 115.

I know I wouldnt use anything else in my chainsaw / brushcutter, but is their any value in an outboard?

As for ethynol-added, I wouldnt even use it to kill weeds.

I'm just getting back into boating after 30 years on land, so I have lost touch a bit..

Thanks

Roo
29-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I won't use premium in my boat (suzuki 4) as the books say to use 91 octane for it.
Do not put ethanol fuels in your boat. most premium fuels have a % of Ethanol in them. Apparently if it is under the 10% level they are not compelled to tell you.
Bp Fuels have recently changed their fuels such that the only fuel they sell without ethanol is a 95 octane premium.

rowanda
29-11-2007, 09:39 PM
BP Ultimate definately does not contain ethanol nor does the premium from BP, the new E10 91 does as will most 91 around these days. People say the 98 is better cause it can hold its octane rating up there for longer if you don't use it very often?? Myself, I use 95 normally in a 10yr old 115hp 2 stroke and have never had any issues. Do not use ethanol based fuels in a boat though, not good and most petrol companies actuall say not to use it in boats
Thanks

Angla
29-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I run ultimate from BP in my 2003 135 optimax. I think the performance is noticeably better. The boat also sits for up to 6 weeks without use. (shame on me really)
I runs quite well on unleaded and I would steer clear of the e10's

Chris

PWCDad
30-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Orbyroo,

Does the Suzuki book say to not use fuel with an octane rating of over 91 ???

My Yammy books say (all 3 types of Yams I have) use a MINIMUM octane of 91... they dont say "dont use over 91".

Two of them say its ok to run ethanol to 10% .... but I wont do it while Ultimate is available, thats for sure

I have been running BP Ultimate in my 4 stroke skis for 300 hrs and in the Outboard for all of its 50 hrs.

Because of the much better injector cleaner package in the Ultimate the plugs, piston top and combustion area are clean as .... this gives the max protection to keep the rings from sticking in their grooves from carbon.

In the Yanky versions of Yams you have to run "ring free" in the tank every 6 months or so because of the carbon buildup. In Oz the manuals they dont even mention it ????

Regards
PWCDad

PADDLES
30-11-2007, 07:47 AM
pwcdad, my sooz book says min roc of 91 and max ethanol of 10%

we used to run ultimate and synthetic oil in our rally car, motor looked the same when we pulled it down as the day we built it. however in my 2s bike i just use dirty old phillipines 91 roc unleaded from our local servo, works fine in an unmodified 2s.

PWCDad
30-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Paddles,

I hear what you are saying .... I might just say .... my comments above refer to 4 strokes.

I can also add ...I recently honed and re-ringed a 1300cc, injected, two stroke in an effort to gain a few static compression psi ... it had 130hrs and I got a few psi thats all .... the engine runs around 170hp from 1300cc ... and we RUN NORMAL UNLEADED ... comp is around 7.0:1. Max rpm is 7150 for 72mph. Craft is PWC.

Regards
PWCDad

aussie9
30-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all your comments guys.

Soundslike 95 or 98 is ok...

Our local servo gives be Ultima for the same price as the 95, so thats usually my deciding factor..

Cheers

Timfishin4fun
30-11-2007, 09:13 AM
My local dealer told me not to bother with the 98 as you get no extra benifits from it. Every second top up I use 98 then 95. Dont know if im doing the right thing but in my mind cleaner the fuel better for the engine.

Tim

Roo
30-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Does the Suzuki book say to not use fuel with an octane rating of over 91 ???
I'll have to re-read it but what i believe it means is it designed to run with a minimum ron rated fuel of 91 octane. i suppose that the Premium unleaded might be better but i can't see the benefit if the engine is designed for the std unleaded fuel.

Our local servo gives be Ultima for the same price as the 95, so thats usually my deciding factor.
I always ask myself "why" when this happens. Just last night i pulled up to a local servo that was a caltex and now is unbranded....the std unleaded was 12c cheaper than the shell up the road and the Premium was the same as the shell unleaded....but they had another "premium 95" that was 2c more?????with no details on the pumps as to where from or what the product was i chose to leave without filling up. My car is still a bit sick after I used the BP servo in byron to fill up(unleaded). the car developed a habit of bunny hops, dead spots, difficult to start and stalling very easily plus reduced fuel economy. I put a few tanks of shell Vpower (not the racing version as this has 5% ethanol) through and it was much better then back to shell unleaded (not E10) and it is still running ok. last week I did a 2 tanks of premium (1 shell and 1 caltex98) and the driveabilty and fuel economy was vastly improved. I think it improved the range by about 50k's more from the tank which considering the price difference of 10c/litre is good value when you're only using 9.5l /100km. so i got roughly $5.00 worth of fuel value for nothing.
The car is a 2006 Subaru forester so its no bomb, I've had a toyota corrolla (2003) that would run on backyard whiskey but this car seems to not like E10 at all!! I don't think it is necessarily BP product, but the old story of once bitten sort of makes me wanna avoid it now.

PWCDad
30-11-2007, 09:47 AM
That happened to me only just last night .... never seen it that close before ...

Pulled into BP at Carina on way home from my eldest's footy game to fill Hilux (latest model and book says mimimum 95) and bugger me if it wasnt only 2 cents between 95 and 98 ....

Hilux has been on Ultimate since new (49,000k's on original plugs) ...pulled plugs for new ones a couple of days ago and they were very, very clean. Plugs are normal type not iridiums or platinums.

PWCDad

bustastu
30-11-2007, 10:04 AM
If you can afford it, always use the highest octane fuel available at the pumps.

After being a mechanic for years, it does make a difference....

DR
30-11-2007, 11:06 AM
ethanol in Mercs..
http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/mercruiserfaqs/ethanol.php#6

Linedropper
19-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I fuelled up the boat with Ultimate 98 before the last fishing trip. The 50 litre tank only had about 5-10 litres of normal unleaded left in it.

I have a tiller steer 60hp Yamaha four stroke and I have approx 250-300 hours on it. The Yammy 60 has always been a bit sluggish low end and top end never matched the 32 knots I got out of the old Yammy 50 hp 2 stroke always maxed out at 30 knots.

On Sunday max speed was 34.5 knots on the GPS and low end was much improved. Jumps up on the plane like a two stroke now. Will definitely be paying the extra for the good stuff.

chris69
19-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Suzuki say a minimum of 91 octane so the more octane the better ,generally the higher the compression ratio the more you will get out of 98 octane with 4strokes and for 2strokes they just idle so much better on the higher octane fuels and have more punch, all motors should get more bang for your buck and any outboard motor with a computer will do better just like the cars.

DTHCoCo
19-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Suzuki say a minimum of 91 octane so the more octane the better ,generally the higher the compression ratio the more you will get out of 98 octane with 4strokes and for 2strokes they just idle so much better on the higher octane fuels and have more punch, all motors should get more bang for your buck and any outboard motor with a computer will do better just like the cars. providing the outboard engine has knock senors you may gain a very small performance boost,not many people realize but premium fuels have less energy than standard unleaded.

chris69
19-12-2011, 10:47 PM
But the higher the octane the less chance of pre-ignition or knock anyway and the modern outboard motors have the programing to avoid this and to deal with 91 ron as a minium being more prone to pre-ignition and as the pulp is denser than the standard ulp the pulp should have more energy, so if what you are saying is true ulp should give you more kms per tank haveing more energy in a given air-fuel mixture and compression ratio and therefore more torque than the pulp with the same given air-fuel mixture and compression ratio and so why do you get the better fuel economy from the pulp with a lesser energy produced compaired to more energy with the ulp.