PDA

View Full Version : 4.1 allycraft rhino

alleycat
28-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Well after checking out a heap of boats the last few days im near certain on getting the allycraft rhino 4.1 mtr, looks a great boat and was one of the cheaper boats i looked at, will be pushed along by my 30 yamaha, anybody got any feed back on the rhino?, thanks in advance.

dan099
28-11-2007, 06:33 PM
mate i had a 4.1 topender it cracked along the keel and bent the bottem between the ribs at the back and no i did not kane it just not very strong

Scott Ashe
28-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Mate,

Forgot to mention yesterday the dealer I bought mine through was Wynnum Marine. I found George to be very helpful, and the after sales service is excellent .

Cheers
Scott

alleycat
28-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I was talking to george today and yeah he is a good fella.
I still have to look at the 4.15 horizon, looked ok on the web.

Rozza82
28-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Ive just bought a 4.10 rhino with a suzuki 40HP electric start from cunningham's marine at clontarf. I did a lot of looking around and they did the best deal by far. I live on the southside and it was well worth my effort to get over and see them. The salesman that helped me was Peter. Give them a ring.

lifestyle
28-11-2007, 07:31 PM
You do get a few extras with the allycraft. What did you think of the dory WB compaired to the Rhino4.1 and what made your mind up?

alleycat
28-11-2007, 08:13 PM
You do get a few extras with the allycraft. What did you think of the dory WB compaired to the Rhino4.1 and what made your mind up?

I guess the rhino just looks like it will handle the water well, but in saying that i have a 97 4.1 dory and she is great, and the 4.2 dory looked good as well, i think the rhino looked a bit more stylish than the dory!! is that a fair point?, but im betting the dory would be a great boat.

Rozza82
28-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I ended up choosing the Rhino over the Dory because for the same price I got a 40HP instead of a 30. Plus I think I preferred the Rhino just a little bit more. But it did come down to price.

alleycat
28-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I ended up choosing the Rhino over the Dory because for the same price I got a 40HP instead of a 30. Plus I think I preferred the Rhino just a little bit more. But it did come down to price.

So how does it handle rozza./?

strongy
28-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Alleycat , i got a 4.1 rhino , had a 30 4/st bit slow put a 40 4/st on and tons better , mind you it has topender fitout (wide decks anchor well floor etc) so it will be a bit heavier than normal , but no problem with handling and i haven`t found any cracks i my hull yet , 2002 model. I`m happy with it. cheers strongy.

ozlongboarder
28-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Ive just bought a 4.10 rhino with a suzuki 40HP electric start from cunningham's marine at clontarf. I did a lot of looking around and they did the best deal by far. I live on the southside and it was well worth my effort to get over and see them. The salesman that helped me was Peter. Give them a ring.

I have just sold my old tinny and I am looking for a new one. How much did you pay? Send me a PM if you prefer.

Thanks

TimD
29-11-2007, 01:48 AM
My dad's got a 4.10 rhino with a 25hp 2 stroke merc on the back,We often have 4 in the boat plus gear,It's not a speed machine but it does cut through the chop pretty good,The only thing i dont like about it is the stability at rest,But then again im used to my 4.1 polycraft punt.

cheers tim ;)

baitwaster
29-11-2007, 05:32 AM
I looked at the 410 rhino, but I decided on a brooker 410. The brooker has 2mm bottom, side rails, side pockets, bow rails and a better seat layout IMHO for the same bucks. The ally craft does have higher sides and more beam, but I am not going offshore, it is mainly for bay and river, and I have heard a nasty rumor about ally craft. In saying that, a bloke at work has the ally craft and is absolutely in love with it. I also went to cunninghams. got the 40hp suzy, casting decks, bimini, battery, box and charger, and nav. lights. $9100 brand new. I was going to go second hand, but I will be ready to go for under10 and have a newie

alleycat
29-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Hmmm just looked at the brooker on thier website and your right they do look good, like the gunnels, oh the choices!.

baitwaster
29-11-2007, 07:03 AM
I'll have mine next week, will be more than happy to go out for a spin with you if you want. I'll send you a PM when I have it. I may even ba able to get my mate with the rhino to come out with us too, so you can drive both.

alleycat
29-11-2007, 07:27 AM
I'll have mine next week, will be more than happy to go out for a spin with you if you want. I'll send you a PM when I have it. I may even ba able to get my mate with the rhino to come out with us too, so you can drive both.

Your a champ thanks mate, and are you getting the brooker 410 or do you have the rhino?.:)

baitwaster
29-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm getting the brooker

plaztix
29-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey alleycat, what turned you off the Seajay SP/magnum?

alleycat
29-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey alleycat, what turned you off the Seajay SP/magnum?

Mate i guess its the seat layout in the magnum and my boys didnt like the sp, i think i better go out again but this time with a tape measure and pad, one thing about the rhino though, i looked at the keel and it doesnt have the real deep keel bar like my dory does, but i guess its strong enough!.

Bin455
01-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Alleycat, when comparing the different hulls just be sure to check out the welds on the keel, gunnels etc.....a guy from work had a alleycraft about 4.3m and it cracked the whole way down the keel welds about a month ago....he was on his way out with his 2 young kids in and noticed a bit of water it the bottom, he turned around to go back to the ramp and didnt get far at all before the ass end went under. End up he called the police and they came out and towed the boat very slowly back to the ramp. He swears he never hammers into crop etc and looks after his boats, and now recons the alleys are know for bad welds.

alleycat
01-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Alleycat, when comparing the different hulls just be sure to check out the welds on the keel, gunnels etc.....a guy from work had a alleycraft about 4.3m and it cracked the whole way down the keel welds about a month ago....he was on his way out with his 2 young kids in and noticed a bit of water it the bottom, he turned around to go back to the ramp and didnt get far at all before the ass end went under. End up he called the police and they came out and towed the boat very slowly back to the ramp. He swears he never hammers into crop etc and looks after his boats, and now recons the alleys are know for bad welds.

Thanks mate, i really need to do my homework on this one, will look at seajay again but its 500 more, my old quintrex 4.1 as seen in my signature pic has a nice solid bar running along keel, was surprised allycraft doesnt have this, thought it might compramise strength not having it, the horizon 4.15 looks good but leasure marine dont keep them on site, you have to order.

sherkier
01-12-2007, 06:54 PM
We have 2 Ally Craft Rhino's here both new ,We made the gunnels a lot wider and put a ally floor in and under floor tanks. Easy to do when you have 3 sons that build 30meter plus ally boats .lol. The boys use these boats to go crabbing and to shoot down to Tipplers for a beer from Redland bay.One has a 40 hp Mercury 2 stroke and the other has a 30hp mercury 2 stroke. Even with all the extra weight the one with the 40hp goes real well . For a pressed ally boat they are good value for money and handdle the chop fairly well.

sherkier
01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
We have 2 Ally Craft Rhino's here both new!We have put bigger gunnals and a ally floor in them with underfloor fuel tanks. This is pretty easy to do when you have 3 sons that are qualifed boat builders that build 30meter plus ally boats !lol
They use these boats for crabbing and to shoot down to tipplers from redland bay for a quick beer.One has a 40 hp Mercury 2stroke and the other has a 30hp Mercury 2stroke. Even witth the extra weight the one with the 40hp goes real well and the 30hp is a little slower but not by much.For a pressed ally boat they are good value for money and handle the chop very well for this class of boat.

thelump
02-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Mate until a couple of months ago I had the rhinos big bro the 445 sioux. I dont know about poor build as I had that boat out to sea in some pretty ordinary conditions and had no problems at all. In fact i pretty much used to give it a fair flogging and it seemed to have stood up to it. IMO they are good value for money.

haggis
02-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey alleycat , I have 410 scout which is a great little boat & before that a 375 cody another great little boat . Have had both boats at awoonga where I have come across more expensive boats with cracks along the hull due to the chop but so far touch wood my little boat has been fine .
cheers fae haggis ...........................

bilby
02-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi,
I have a 4.29 Stacer Nomad witha 30Hp Mariner 2 stroke and she does 25knots solo and about 20 odd knots with 3 aboard / gear. I got it for $9400 on the water and they come with all the top ender type fitouts. Its very stable at rest and handles choppy water exceptionally well. I fish Westernport Victoria and it fishes great. Check them out, i did a lot of boat hunting and found these to be the best for what i wanted for a good price.
Cheers Fozzy.

pueter66
02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Mate,
I have had a Alleycraft Rhino with a 30 hp yamaha since 1998 and I am not going to sell it. The boat has brought me home in conditions it has no right to and never let me down. It like to have a bit of weight up the front and yes, you are going to get wet in open waters but I guess you expect that
I have had a little crack on back brace other than that hull is still good even though the hull has been slammed around for 10 years.
I mainly use it for estuary work now but for what I payed for it new I wont sell it even though I have newer bigger boats.
Cheers Pueter66

alleycat
03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Did a bit more homework and found the seajay has 138cm of space between seats compared to rhino with 159cm, the seajay has a flat floor with pressed ribs ie lots of contact with bracing bars while rhino has clinker bottom, more work to do and will look at 4.15 horizon wednesday.

ozlongboarder
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey Alleycat thanks for posting up your findings, I'm still looking for a new or slightly used tinny. Have you had a look at the Bluefins yet? I have had a look at them and they look good but most the other yards dont have any other brands in stock so its hard to compare.

Quintrex 4.2 and Stacer 429 look ok but have a low free boad at stern, Brooker are good value for money but the quality just does not seem as good. The Bluefin look like good build quality and good value for money. Just not sure how they compare to a Horizon or Seajay.

http://www.bluefinboats.com.au/dinghyshd.htm

alleycat
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey Alleycat thanks for posting up your findings, I'm still looking for a new or slightly used tinny. Have you had a look at the Bluefins yet? I have had a look at them and they look good but most the other yards dont have any other brands in stock so its hard to compare.

Quintrex 4.2 and Stacer 429 look ok but have a low free boad at stern, Brooker are good value for money but the quality just does not seem as good. The Bluefin look like good build quality and good value for money. Just not sure how they compare to a Horizon or Seajay.

http://www.bluefinboats.com.au/dinghyshd.htm

Funny enough i came home and messured my old quintrex 4.1 dory between the seats and it had 1.79 metres!!! thats 20cm more than the rhino and 40 more than the seajay!!, im betting the 4.2 dory has loads of space and is a fine boat, im not sure why im disscounting it, maybe its plain?, dunno!.

lifestyle
04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
How you going allycat . I had a look at the stacer nomad 4.29 on the net. It looks very nice with the fit out they have which i beleive is standard. All this research starting to give you the sh!ts yet? Have a look and see what you think.

stuartym
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey Alleycat, i did this back in April and ended up with a Satcer 429 Nomad Elite
with a Mercury fourstroke 30 goes well, build is quite acceptable for a mass produced boat compared to a few of the others out there that I looked at
Good luck mate.

alleycat
06-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Well i think i sussed out the best 4.15 around for my bay fishing, its the horizon 4.15 safari, great outfit and has pedistal seats instead of the bench seats, has a 3 mm bottom and 2mm sides, if your into plastics around the bay this looks like just the boat, and i looked at quite a few.

dogsbody
06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Gday Alleycat, Hope you find the right boat for your needs.

Seems to be a few Alley crafts with cracks down the keel, good to see mine wasn't the only one.

This problem is caused by gaps between the ribs and the floor of the boat. When your driving it is flexing and sooner or later it will crack as mine did after 12 months. Nearly sunk had 100mm before water came over the transom.

Anyway just check that the ribs are hard up against the floor in any of the boats you look at.

Dave.

alleycat
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Allycraft have clinker bottom, not much contact with bracing ribs, hence flexing.

shappy
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
hey alleycat, do you mean brooker safari or does horizon make a safari as well? i can't find a safari on the horizon web site.

shappy

Blackened
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Allycraft have clinker bottom, not much contact with bracing ribs, hence flexing.

G'day

Just about ALL of the mass produced tinnies do.

I know of a 16' quintrex runabout that is around 4 years old and has had about 80% of the welds done and re-inforcing put in. All due to ribs/bracing not being tight enough and given too much room to move.

Dave

alleycat
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
hey alleycat, do you mean brooker safari or does horizon make a safari as well? i can't find a safari on the horizon web site.

shappy

Hi shappy, im not sure but it was the horizon safari at marine tune at burliegh i looked at, they get it specially made up for them, best boat ive seen so far, i thought it better than the seajay sp, i can only give an opinion but its a boat you should look at for bay work.

shappy
06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
thanks mate, i will be ready to buy after xmas and will check it out, as that is the boat layout i am looking at.

thanks, shappy

ozlongboarder
06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Alleycat, what price is the hull only with no motor or trailer?

alleycat
06-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Alleycat, what price is the hull only with no motor or trailer?

Mate i was quoted 5k for bare boat and trailer, they have package deals with motor ect but i have a motor 18 months old i want to keep, they said february was quickest i could get one but thats no drama for me.

ozlongboarder
06-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Mate i was quoted 5k for bare boat and trailer, they have package deals with motor ect but i have a motor 18 months old i want to keep, they said february was quickest i could get one but thats no drama for me.

I dont need a trailer just a hull and motor only.

Have you got there number?

What hp are you putting on it?

alleycat
06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I dont need a trailer just a hull and motor only.

Have you got there number?

What hp are you putting on it?

sent you a pm, i have a 30hp yamaha to go on mine, cheers.
PS, i have the 30hp yamaha cv and if i had my time over i would have got the 3cyl 30hp for just 700 more with elec start, much better motor.