PDA

View Full Version : Archerfish

k.masci
28-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi there,

My name is Kate Masci and I'm a research student at Griffith Uni in Brisbane. I'm trying to get into contact with fishermen/women or commercial barra charters who potentially catch archerfish. My project is focussed on archerfish from across their entire range in Australia (WA to Qld). I use genetic methods to look at the movement of fish between rivers. I also want to look at how the different species of archerfish are related to each other. If you catch archerfish regularly and think you can help me out or would like more information please email me (k.masci@griffith.edu.au) or reply to this post.

Thanks alot in advance,
Kate

Scott nthQld
28-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Kate,

I would like to help, but don't catch them regularly, they are usually pretty few and far between. If I do get one, I would like to help, just let me knwo what to do.

Cheers

Scott

k.masci
29-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Townsville is getting near the end of their range which is why they're not really common there, but it's also an important place for me to get samples, so that I can see how far these fish can move around Australia. Do you always fish in the same area when you go fishing?

I can send you a little sampling kit which will fit in a tackle box in case you catch any. The kit contains a few tubes filled with ethanol, some labels, a pair of scissors, a pair of tweezers and a little data sheet to fill out. If you catch a fish all you have to do is cut about a 1cmx1cm piece off the anal fin (the fin under the belly of the fish) and put it straight into the ethanol. If you catch more than one individual in the same place the fins can go in the same tube.

On the labels all I need is the date and the creek or river where the fish was caught.

On the data sheet I will need the date, the site name that is on the label, the number of fish caught at the site and there will be a comments section where you can make note of some defining feature of the site, like if you're near a bridge, maybe the bridge name, or if you're near the mouth of the river, or even the closest town name. Just so that I know the general location of where the fish was caught.

Here is an example of the data sheet
<Date> <Site name> <# fish> <Comments>
29-11-07 Burdekin R, Ayr 2 Near bridge, Bruce Hwy

If I haven't scared you off with all of that, let me know an address I can send the kit too. If you don't want to post your address here or if you'd like more information, you can e-mail me at k.masci@griffith.edu.au or you can call me at work on 37353819.

Thanks so much again,
Happy fishing! :)

Kate

artesian
29-11-2007, 11:28 PM
seem to be plenty in the Wenlock, but you probably know that, Kate.
Archer fish that is, and alas I'm not a local, so can't help.
Plenty of guides in Weipa however.

tunaticer
30-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Caught one about 8 yrs ago near Stanage Bay on a fly.
Caught three in one session in a creek/drain near Hartleys Creek north of Cairns a good 20 yrs ago on fly also.

Jack.

mitch qld
02-12-2007, 04:46 PM
we get plenty of archerfish in murray creek here in mackay. dunno if that helps??

also they are in bulk proportions in weipa, caught heaps when we were there in september

nuggstar
04-12-2007, 11:58 PM
there is a place in the N.T Called BERRY SPRINGS in lichfeald national park, it is chokers full of em and can they can be verry agresive if ya swim nude, if ya now what i mean hehe. you can hand feed them there and some are huge like 35cm

PBass
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey Nuggstar have you been to Howard Springs which is also in the N.T?? There is massive Barra that swim there that can be hand fed.. No fishing allowed though.. Cheers PBass..

k.masci
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the tips guys... I'll make sure I put these places on my "to do" list

Kate

nuggstar
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
i use to go swimming there all the time as a kid we'd try to catch the barras with our hands with some cheese or a snag or jump on them but they r to quick to catch and to big hehe, we got lots of turtles to

FNQCairns
08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
At Lake Tinaroo while lazing under a camp tarp we watched one shooting streams of water at a bug on the side of the boat which was beached pretty close.

This is a stocked impoundment so possibly not within the design of your research.

cheers fnq