PDA

View Full Version : Installing GPS

Voyager
27-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi

I'm new to boating but have always loved fishing.

Bought myself a Voyager 5.5m fibreglass with a 90hp Evinrude (89 model).

I've recently purchased a Northstar (Navman) Explorer 557 and I wondered if anyone can offer me advice on how to install it :

1. Positioning the external antenna
2. Wiring (it needs a fuse on the red wire) to the same circuit as the sounder.
3. Position of the screen.

Thanks in advance.

STUIE63
28-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Voyager firstly welcome to the ausfish family . you will probably get a lot better response if you post the question about the plotter in the electronics section .
myanswers but i am no guru external antenna out in the open where it can get a clean look at the sky
Yes
where you can see it comfortably and hopefully a bit out of the weather
Stuie

ScubaSteve_US
28-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Really pretty simple without things like radar and satellites to install a GPS antenna. Install it anywhere that it is out of the way and has a clear view of the sky.

If you are not connecting up the NMEA connections between the GPS and sounder electrically it is a very simple connection. Just connecting the power wires to the boats electrical system.

Positioning the screen is really all personal preference. Set it in a number of different places install where it is most comfortable and functional for you.

Neil - Scuba Steve's Marine

Voyager
28-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the advise.

I believe it's a simple connection to the boats power wire. Will need to add a 2amp fuse (not sure why it wasn't included) first to protect the unit.

I've also been told to keep the GSP antenna about a 1mtr away from the marine radio antennna.

I'll attempt it and let you know

Cheers

Voyager
07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Installed without a hitch. Had help from friends, works a treat (saved myself $150).

Spent $170 for the cartography C-Map Max. This showed alot of detail around Perth (Rottnest, Garden Island, Fremantle & Mandurah).

Cheers

Leighton
07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
mate I have a navman on my boat, is is right next my sounder. Just be a bit careful as to how close you place it. My navman drops satellites, its a pain in the a**. It just means I have to turn the sounder off and the Navman picks up almost straight away. Not sure if its a common fault but sent it back to navman and they said the gps unit is fine just interference from the sounder. BTW no I didnt install the sounder or GPS. The boat was purchased brand new frow a dealer