PDA

View Full Version : 6.7 Hooker Can anyone Help

Bountyhunter
27-11-2007, 01:36 PM
HELP!!!!!

I have brought a 6.7 hooker it's about three years old and I have had it about 6 months.
I am not happy with the ride it seams to slap and dose not Handel the small chop in Townsville.
The boat has good lines and looks like it should be a great ride ,with all the hype I had heard about them before I bought it surprised me.:(:(:(

Dose anyone own one up hear in Townsville as any info that could help me would be great.

Thanks
BountyHunter

troy
27-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Mate go and have a talk with your local dealer [Leo's Marine].
He was telling me they would out ride any glass boat.
Might be set up wrong.
Then again you cannot believe what some Dealers will say.
Troy

wilco
27-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I fished with dave donald sportfishing charters up in weipa they used to have a couple of hooker boats, they where really wet in a bit of chop. But the ride wasn't too bad, it wasn't slapping the bottom.

Bountyhunter
27-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Troy

It was originally purchased by the owner before me from there.
So you would think that it would be set up right being the Townsville dealer

boney-leg
27-11-2007, 04:44 PM
So you would think that it would be set up right being the Townsville dealer

Wouldn't agree with you there ;) Find it hard to believe that it doesn't handle the chop - they are a well designed boat.

Bountyhunter
27-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Boney-leg

That is why I am concerned.
Would love to go for a ride in another one or take some else out in my who has one.
I was even thinking about installing trim tabs but there is not much room to install them.
I think that it could be the weight factor with the weight being all at the back and no weight at the front. With 400lt of fuel and 225 honda all at the back.

Shanoss
27-11-2007, 05:14 PM
The 6.7 is quite different form the smaller hookers. its not a "long boat" design. All boats slap in the Townsville chop. Are you trimming it for the conditions? As for them out riding any glass boat...... well, thats a bit of a stretch.

disorderly
27-11-2007, 05:31 PM
All boats slap in the Townsville chop. Are you trimming it for the conditions?

aint that the truth!
I also would be looking at the trim.
For a start disregard the trim guage and start off with the motor trimmed right in.(when running into the chop leave the motor trimmed in).
But shanes right all boats feel it and slapping into the old 2 foot chop makes for a bloody uncomfortable ride when you are travelling large distances to the reef.

I should have added that you might just have to slow down a bit and drive to the conditions.

Bountyhunter
28-11-2007, 08:10 AM
I have tried to trim it all the way down
It might just be the Townsville chop.
It's just the long trip to the reef with the uncomfortable slap for 1.8 hrs

Greg P
28-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Not the infamous NQ two foot chop again :o:o:o;D

Shanoss
28-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I have tried to trim it all the way down
It might just be the Townsville chop.
It's just the long trip to the reef with the uncomfortable slap for 1.8 hrs

You could drive like Leezor, he only hits every fifth wave. Mind you, He hits it pretty bloody hard. Try playing with your speed a bit. I sometimes find that ican get on top of it. though it does depend where you are heading and where the wind is coming from.

mik01
28-11-2007, 05:19 PM

oh no not again!! :-/

Tracker
28-11-2007, 06:44 PM
phusst Greg,that 2 ft nq chop is nothin compared to the chop in the bay here!

FNQCairns
28-11-2007, 06:59 PM
MMmmmm... a BBQ 2 foot chop......

mirage
28-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Might need trim tabs.
I had a 6.4m Freedom Seasport. Had to put Volvo QL trim tabs on it to stop it slapping. Worked well.
Good luck.

troy
29-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Come on now i know you are all waiting fo part 2.;) .
Troy

Noelm
29-11-2007, 09:45 AM
just in case it is a weight in the stern problem try it when the fuel tank is getting down a bit, and some "portable" weight in the bow, then the trim will be almost the reverse of what you appear to have now! did you take it for a test drive?? it also could just be a case of some sort of "cult following" as happens to certain brands, and when you actually get one, the ride/performance is rather disappointing!

just_cruisin
29-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with Noelm,
A 224 honda would have to be up around the max. transom weight for that hull. 400lts in a 6.7m metre boat is more than likely a long, skinny tank up the guts of the hull (between the two centre stringers). What is your average fuel load?, do you keep it topped up?. Being a long skinny tank, and say, half-full, all the weight is going to be forced to the rear of the tank when underway = more weight towards the transom.
I would look at using sand bags or the like, to play with the balance of the boat whilst underway (80kg of weight up in the bow area) and see if this makes any difference.
I don't think the running surface of the hull has any problems, it is more likely a weight distribution problem.
Tab's are gonna help, although i'm not sure how easy this will be with the pods either side of the outboards.
Hope this Helps! and good luck with it.

Noelm
29-11-2007, 10:49 AM
all you need is a few People, not even sand bags, but make sure you have a low fuel load as well if possible, it will make it more of a difference that way. before any real changes and buying stuff takes place, try any no cost simple things first!

Bountyhunter
29-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks every one for the help

I will try the sand bags up the front but i will need to use up a bit of fuel as my tanks are full at the moment. Will try to do it this weekend as there will be a bit of chop out there.

Bountyhunter
29-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Just_Cruisin

What boat is that in the pic

just_cruisin
29-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Bountyhunter,
Full custom build mate, have a look at the trhead if you like.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=108007&highlight=jenkscraft